PDA

View Full Version : 200 miles on one tank of gas

flybuddy
06-01-2013, 11:06 AM
While at Spyderfest, Pitbull hooked up my 2012 RT to BUDs and did a bunch of updates (year old and I had never been to a dealer). Noticed that it ran smoother, I could use lower octane and that the mileage jumped about 3 mpg. I have a K&N air filter and Cat Bypass. Bumpskid and sport windscreen (with vent) help aerodynamically. I've seen 35+ mpg at times so after an optimal long ride over from east coast of Florida I wanted to see if I could go 200 miles on one tank. It DID!! Low fuel light came on at 188 miles. When I pulled into gas station I did show one bar BUT I shut off to wait in line and on restart (when I took pic) there were no bars.

cabodan
06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
What is this cat bypass

cbell1
06-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Look here: http://www.spyderattitude.com/cat-bypass.html

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Coming West across Texas on I 20 @ 90 MPH on cruise (w/o trailer) last May. Mine got 200 miles to a tank for a few fill ups(5 gal refills). Totally stock. Have not repeated it since. Must have had a tail wind?

Currently two up mixed terrain (mountains & slab) at higher RPM's (6K + -) it's doing 30 MPG. No air filter mod & stock plugs & wires.

Alone, and lots of twisties....23 to 27.

daveinva
06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Remind me: does the RT get better mileage/have a larger gas tank than the RS?

Because 200 miles on one tank is INSANE. Best my RS has ever gotten was 135 miles and it was on fumes, probably a mile away from sputtering to the side of the road.

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Because 200 miles on one tank is INSANE. Best my RS has ever gotten was 135 miles and it was on fumes, probably a mile away from sputtering to the side of the road.

RT = 6.0 Gal

jthornton
06-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I believe that's a catalytic converter by-pass, most likely illegal to install.

And very expensive...

JT

ARtraveler
06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
200 miles divided by the 6 available gallons computes out to 33.3333333 miles per gallon. That is very doable--but pushing the limits to be sure. Obviously, you have to be getting better than 33 mpg for the average to come out to that in 200 miles.

I do believe that anyone making 200 miles on a tank is a champ. :firstplace::firstplace: I did 184 miles and put in 5.8 gallons before I chickened out and filled up. One Time. :bowdown::bowdown:

jthornton
06-01-2013, 02:41 PM
While at Spyderfest, Pitbull hooked up my 2012 RT to BUDs and did a bunch of updates (year old and I had never been to a dealer). Noticed that it ran smoother, I could use lower octane and that the mileage jumped about 3 mpg. I have a K&N air filter and Cat Bypass. Bumpskid and sport windscreen (with vent) help aerodynamically. I've seen 35+ mpg at times so after an optimal long ride over from east coast of Florida I wanted to see if I could go 200 miles on one tank. It DID!! Low fuel light came on at 188 miles. When I pulled into gas station I did show one bar BUT I shut off to wait in line and on restart (when I took pic) there were no bars.

I wish you tracked your mileage with Fuelly the chart would be interesting to see.

JT

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 02:46 PM
200 miles divided by the 6 available gallons computes out to 33.3333333 miles per gallon. That is very doable--but pushing the limits to be sure. Obviously, you have to be getting better than 33 mpg for the average to come out to that in 200 miles.

I do believe that anyone making 200 miles on a tank is the new champ. :firstplace::firstplace: I did 184 miles and put in 5.8 gallons before I chickened out and filled up. One Time. :bowdown::bowdown:

"Well this time I ran a little over 200 miles before the R showed itself."

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39187-Not-sure-what-to-use-for-a-title-picking-up-my-Spyder-(take-two)

ARtraveler
06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
"Well this time I ran a little over 200 miles before the R showed itself."

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39187-Not-sure-what-to-use-for-a-title-picking-up-my-Spyder-(take-two)

I used the term "anyone" making over 200 is a champ. :firstplace::firstplace:

After reading my post, I have changed the wording a bit. "anyone getting over 200 miles is a champ"

I did not mean to imply that I was the champ since I believe that there have been others that posted higher--but no one to my knowledge has posted 200. Amazing how one word or failure to double check the meaning of something before pushing that send button, can seemingly change the intent of the poster.

I do remember reading your post about the trip now that you posted the link. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

joet82
06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
On my RS I have been able to get 205 and 207 on 2 seperate tanks. One from Victorville, CA, to Escondido, CA, and the other from Fresno, CA, to Grass Valley, CA. The prior being mostly downhill, but a mix of back highway and interstate, and the other being all back highway.

Wierdest thing. On the trip from Victorville, I had an RT riding with me and while I got 205, his read 208. We fueled at the same spots and took the same route..

flybuddy
06-01-2013, 03:03 PM
And very expensive...

JT

It's not that bad when you consider that it gets rid of the heat, at least 20 lbs of weight and a throatier sound at the back end. Most folks pay more to put on a different muffler. I looked at the Fuelly site you mentioned, looks interesting. On this trip in particular I was traveling from Palm Bch to Ft.Myers averaging in the low 60s dues to speed limits. Limited lights, windscreen down and a tailwind. Probably got close to 40 mpg on that 120 miles, then about 40 miles of interstate & the last 40 were mostly local, slow, traffic and lots of stop and go.

jthornton
06-01-2013, 03:18 PM
It's not that bad when you consider that it gets rid of the heat, at least 20 lbs of weight and a throatier sound at the back end. Most folks pay more to put on a different muffler. I looked at the Fuelly site you mentioned, looks interesting. On this trip in particular I was traveling from Palm Bch to Ft.Myers averaging in the low 60s dues to speed limits. Limited lights, windscreen down and a tailwind. Probably got close to 40 mpg on that 120 miles, then about 40 miles of interstate & the last 40 were mostly local, slow, traffic and lots of stop and go.

I use Fuelly for all my vehicles, it makes it easy to see if I have a change in mileage then I can start looking for reasons. Usually it is my fault for driving too fast...

JT

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 03:25 PM

I do believe that anyone making 200 miles on a tank is a champ. :firstplace::firstplace: I did 184 miles and put in 5.8 gallons before I chickened out and filled up. One Time. :bowdown::bowdown:

AK.......We are always good. :thumbup:

I knew what you meant and you're one of the few that takes time to decipher what I mean

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack:

Oh too......hope someone has that first place sewed up. Cause the only one I have my eyes on, is to be the oldest man to have ever ridden a motorcycle.

Please, let it be!

DR Buck
06-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I believe that's a catalytic converter by-pass, most likely illegal to install.

A statement like this not backed by facts not only misleads others, but it also hurts the forum sponsors. Catalytic converter use is regulated at the state level. I can't speak for Il, but in Va catalytic converters are NOT required on motorcycles. Six months after installing my cat bypass my Spyder passed the state inspection without any issues. Many other states are the same.

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 04:21 PM
A statement like this not backed by facts not only misleads others, but it also hurts the forum sponsors. Catalytic converter use is regulated at the state level. I can't speak for Il, but in Va catalytic converters are NOT required on motorcycles. Six months after installing my cat bypass my Spyder passed the state inspection without any issues. Many other states are the same.

Cal doesn't do smog checks on motorcycles (yet) but they are the reason we have them in the first place. Don't get me started. Weed eaters are next :roflblack:

EDIT: Some history........won't go into the politics of who WON BIG on this issue.

http://www.aqmd.gov/news1/Archives/History/marchcov.html

Chupaca
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
did a run today..200 miles average 36 mpg. Our RS 2012 has been running great on mileage. We have the K&N air filter Hindle pipe and run Sea Foam in the gas. Keep the rpm's up and works great...:thumbup:

effgjamis
06-01-2013, 07:11 PM
With all that HIGH MPG's, I have but one question? What was your average speed?

Raknid
06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
One additional question...how many gallons remaining in the RT when the low fuel light goes on?

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 08:12 PM
One additional question...how many gallons remaining in the RT when the low fuel light goes on?

They seem to differ widely. Watch your gauge and your trip meter and learn what yours is telling you. :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Approximately 1.5 gallons.

beanoil
06-01-2013, 09:30 PM
And very expensive...

JT

For 450, I can get very creative at removing the honeycomb of precious metals and reinstalling an empty cat shell.

Tierhog
06-02-2013, 04:14 AM

If we (RS Owners) have a 6 gallon tank, mine never allowed it... Lol. Im always putting in around 3.5 at fillup. I bet we are around 5.0 at the most. My modified GS (JB, Intake, exhaust) gets around 130m ish on rural roads before light pops on...no clue what remaining range is left. Mileage is worse in city. I shift at 6-6.5k, cruise at 4.25k rpm and up.
Others claimed your gas station shuts off around 4.5 because of the neck design of our tanks and you can squeeze another 1/2g. in. If I was crazy enough to top it off to the tippy top, run it at low rpm and at 55mph on the highway, i can see 175m perhaps... I wont ever see it though lol :p

joet82
06-02-2013, 05:22 AM
If we (RS Owners) have a 6 gallon tank, mine never allowed it... Lol. Im always putting in around 3.5 at fillup. I bet we are around 5.0 at the most. My modified GS (JB, Intake, exhaust) gets around 130m ish on rural roads before light pops on...no clue what remaining range is left. Mileage is worse in city. I shift at 6-6.5k, cruise at 4.25k rpm and up.
Others claimed your gas station shuts off around 4.5 because of the neck design of our tanks and you can squeeze another 1/2g. in. If I was crazy enough to top it off to the tippy top, run it at low rpm and at 55mph on the highway, i can see 175m perhaps... I wont ever see it though lol :p

From absolute empty. I have put 6 gallons into my RS. I'm guessing you're filling up right after the light comes on.

Tierhog
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Yep... Exactly. Ran it low a year or two ago and was too paranoid of stranding myself. :(

Empty Pockets
06-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Doesn't the RT have a 6.6 gal gas tank??

Tierhog
06-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Yes.. 25L or 6.60 USG

connie9003
06-02-2013, 08:24 AM
i was shocked ! Hubby and i did a run from Murray Ky to Houston Tx on one tank I was able to get 43 mpg! Never got that again but believe me i was doing the happy dance lol. Now that being said it was in the middle of the night no traffic no stops ave 65 mph. He always gets better milage when he is following me as well.:roflblack:

flybuddy
06-02-2013, 08:31 AM

My low fuel light went on at 188 miles...At 200 I took 5.75. Given slow traffic and stops figured I burned a half gallon in those 12 miles. That means I would have 1.25 gallons remaining from the point the light came on. Not sure if all of that is useable fuel though.

MRH
06-02-2013, 09:48 AM
They seem to differ widely. Watch your gauge and your trip meter and learn what yours is telling you. :thumbup:

This is where I get lost, I can only put in a max of about 3.2 gallons when the light goes on. That means the tank should still have about 2.8 gallons (nearly half full), allowing .6 gallons for empty space when the tank is "filled." My mind just can't seem to accept that the second half of the tank is running on empty, but all the numbers indicate that this is the case.

Thoughts?

gnirtsnod
06-02-2013, 09:50 AM
...and it was on fumes, probably a mile away from sputtering to the side of the road.

Based on my experience, they don't sputter. They just shut down. Pretty efficient, huh?

gnirtsnod
06-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Yep... Exactly. Ran it low a year or two ago and was too paranoid of stranding myself. :(

I just completed a 2,241 mile trip with a RotoPax 1-gallon container in the frunk. Lot's of comfort knowing that if I did cut it too close I wouldn't be left stranded...or, that if one of the Harleys or Goldwings ran out, I could get $25 for the spare gallon.

P.S. I got an average of 32.84 mpg on the trip.

NancysToy
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Doesn't the RT have a 6.6 gal gas tank??

Yes.. 25L or 6.60 USG

All the Spyders have a stated capacity of 6.6 gallons, but some of that is not usable. Part of it is above the filler neck, and there also has to be some empty space available for expansion and venting. The usable capacity is 6.0 gallons. If you put more than that in, you have overflowed to the emissions canister.

Can-Am Poogs
06-02-2013, 01:35 PM
With all that HIGH MPG's, I have but one question? What was your average speed?

Bare with this Canadian.

200 miles=321 km

My averaged on a tank of gas is 180 kilometers, or 111 miles, regardless of city of highway driving.

I have the sm5. I like to shift at 5000 to 7000 rpm.

Highway speeds 80 mph, city speeds 40 mph.

The best I have ever done is 136 miles, but that was some intentional laid back driving real slow driving and shifting at 3000 rpm, and using 5th gear for city driving. In other words driving a motorcycle like a car, no fun at all.

connie9003
06-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok all this talk got me thinking about my mileage something Ive only paid attention to on trips not jumping around town. So today I filled up again and I checked it 43 mpg again .... Now I know im doing my math right and on this tank I did not spend a lot of time in 5th gear. it was mostly back windy roads. When I filled up I only put in 3.6 gal. I had run atleast 30 miles with the light on and it showed roughly a qtr tank of gas...So my question is why does the light come on so quickly cause im thinking it shouldn't come on until you have like a gal left? Whey does the light click on EVERY TIME at a qtr tank ??? I'm half temptd to put a small containter of fuel in my frunk and drive till I stop !

joet82
06-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Normally, I'm able to get 15-20 miles per bar. I ignore the light. I also know there's 15-20 available after going to 0 bars. :-)

connie9003
06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Normally, I'm able to get 15-20 miles per bar. I ignore the light. I also know there's 15-20 available after going to 0 bars. :-) are bars an RS thing ? I have an RT and I just have 4 "Bars" full- 3/4-1/2-1/4 then red at 1/8 ? no official bars :(

ARtraveler
06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
are bars an RS thing ? I have an RT and I just have 4 "Bars" full- 3/4-1/2-1/4 then red at 1/8 ? no official bars :(

I am guessing bars refer to the hash marks on the digital gas guage. I am also guessing that mileage per bar is going to vary from occasion to occasion.

I usually get about 50 miles out of the first bar, and the rest of them are progressively less. Sort of like the gas gauge on most cars. It takes forever to use 1/4 of the indicated tank, then, the gauge goes down a lot faster as your journey progresses.

I recommend using the trip odometer as a good indicator. I know that I can get 150 miles on a tank, and that it will take me about five gallons to fill at that point. This always leaves me with about a gallon to spare.

Gas refill lights will also vary. You are supposed to have about 1.5 gallons in reserve when the light goes on, but your results may be different. My experience: My analog gauge refill light would go on at 125-130 indicated miles. My digital gauge refill light goes on at about 140-150 indicated miles.

IMO: the gas gauges are an indicator--but I would not live or die by what they are telling me.

connie9003
06-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I am guessing bars refer to the hash marks on the digital gas guage. I am also guessing that mileage per bar is going to vary from occasion to occasion.

I usually get about 50 miles out of the first bar, and the rest of them are progressively less. Sort of like the gas gauge on most cars. It takes forever to use 1/4 of the indicated tank, then, the gauge goes down a lot faster as your journey progresses.

I recommend using the trip odometer as a good indicator. I know that I can get 150 miles on a tank, and that it will take me about five gallons to fill at that point. This always leaves me with about a gallon to spare.

Gas refill lights will also vary. You are supposed to have about 1.5 gallons in reserve when the light goes on, but your results may be different. My experience: My analog gauge refill light would go on at 125-130 indicated miles. My digital gauge refill light goes on at about 140-150 indicated miles.

IMO: the gas gauges are an indicator--but I would not live or die by what they are telling me.
ok maybe im just a bit dizzy but is there a way to get a digital display on the RT ? all I have is the analog :( I want digital bars darnit !!! I feel left out

NancysToy
06-02-2013, 05:11 PM
ok maybe im just a bit dizzy but is there a way to get a digital display on the RT ? all I have is the analog :( I want digital bars darnit !!! I feel left out

Disconnect the wires to both analog gauges and the display will revert to the digital gauges.

Tierhog
06-02-2013, 08:03 PM
i was shocked ! Hubby and i did a run from Murray Ky to Houston Tx on one tank I was able to get 43 mpg! Never got that again but believe me i was doing the happy dance lol. Now that being said it was in the middle of the night no traffic no stops ave 65 mph. He always gets better milage when he is following me as well.:roflblack:

You must weigh 100 lbs and had a 50mph tailwind.. Lol

joet82
06-02-2013, 08:16 PM
are bars an RS thing ? I have an RT and I just have 4 "Bars" full- 3/4-1/2-1/4 then red at 1/8 ? no official bars :(

You are correct. We have 8 'bars' that are digital.

Raknid
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
This is where I get lost, I can only put in a max of about 3.2 gallons when the light goes on. That means the tank should still have about 2.8 gallons (nearly half full), allowing .6 gallons for empty space when the tank is "filled." My mind just can't seem to accept that the second half of the tank is running on empty, but all the numbers indicate that this is the case.

Thoughts? Similar here. Light goes on at 110 miles or so. Then takes 3.X gals. I have not yet figured out the range...seems early for the low fuel light to activate.

chipshotin
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
best ive done is 180 per tank and was bout of vapors....middle of summer 89 octane...used cruise control alot. remember when you set your cruise your computer knows exactly how much fuel is needed to maintain speed..i use it all the time and get great gas milage. :yes:easy start off the line less you have an idiot next to you..drive safe

Showie
06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Just got back from a trip to Montana. Got 31.8 from Spokane WA. to Clark Fork. That was with 1300 miles on byke and rider with passenger for most of it. I ride very conservatively. hoping it stays around there.