PDA

View Full Version : Broken RT Fender Brace

GadgetGuy442
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Well, just turned over 30,000 miles today on our 37 month old 2010 RTS. Been solid and problem free until today, when the right fender bracket (front) broke (see pic). Will get a new part, but until then, used a long bolt to bridge the break....

Hope this isn't the beginning of any kind of trend!! You can bet I'm watching the other fender brackets very closely for cracks & breaks... nothing showing up yet.

Am also hopeful that the replacement part is an improved design!! Anyone else had this problem?

Bill & Sandy691006910169102

Chupaca
05-31-2013, 10:51 PM
looks like rust around the break area. Was this a weld point..? I can't tell from pic's good luck hope the replacement is fair priced and quick. If not warranty check this site and ebay etc. Many have done away with the fenders so the braces are lying around...:thumbup:

GadgetGuy442
05-31-2013, 11:01 PM
looks like rust around the break area. Was this a weld point..? I can't tell from pic's good luck hope the replacement is fair priced and quick. If not warranty check this site and ebay etc. Many have done away with the fenders so the braces are lying around...:thumbup:

Chupaca,

Yes, it's a break right at the weld. I think the weld heat work hardened the tube??.... Metal was shiny at the site of the break for the most part.

Good idea to check for lower priced options... the BRP part (RH Fender Front Support 705003457) sells for $50 bucks.... I'm out of warranty, so it'll be my expense.

Bill

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Haven’t seen much of this on the RT. No idea what front tire pressure you run, but fender brace strength(ability to take the additional vibrations) is something that concerns me when running higher tire pressures. tol

GadgetGuy442
06-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I run 18 psi front tire pressure (26 rear). I do have my springs set to highest preload setting though, and we have realllllllly crappy roads around where I live!

Maybe I need Ron's sway bar, some new shocks, and a lower spring preload setting!?

Bill