PDA

View Full Version : Spongy Brakes

bumper60651
05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Since I purchased my pre-owned 2008 Spyder from the dealer in 2010 I've always had issues with spongy brakes. I've always had to pump the brake pedal at least twice to get a good feeling pedal. I've taken this to the dealer on several occasions especially after receiving a brake fault on the instrument panel and they've conducted pressure tests and have told me everything is okay, yet I have to refill the front reservoir occasionally. Since I've installed the Seal Floorboards I really have to pump the brakes now to get a good pedal, and that sometimes is unnerving as the pedal sometimes goes all the way to the floorboard before I get any action. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what is going on and why the dealer is telling me the brakes seem to be fine when they check them??? Thanks for your input...

asp125
05-31-2013, 10:27 PM
When was the last time you flushed and bled the brakes? Brake fluid attracts water and deteriorates over time. Do you have air in the system?

bumper60651
05-31-2013, 10:40 PM
It has been within the past year that they've bled the brake system, so they say. I'm planning on taking it back to dealer next month for a recheck.

Chupaca
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
If possible check with another dealer or brake shop. There is something wrong and they are not seeing it. You can have the pressure but it has to hold. If you have to pump them it's not holding the pressure. If you have to refill your losing fluid somewhere. Lots of possibilities, air in the lines, water, old fluid or leaking o-rings or master cylinder...good luck but I wouldn't wait...!! :thumbup:

Techno-Spyder
06-01-2013, 02:45 AM
More than one pump of the pedal doesn't indicate air in the system if the pedal get firm. If air is present you cannot get a firm pedal at all, it is always soft.
Normally multiple pumps means you are having to move more fluid, mostly associated with brake pads that are stuck in the calipers. If a pad is sticking, the good pad is forced further sometimes bending the rotor until it contacts the stuck one, when you release the pedal, the rotor then forces the good pad back pushing the fluid back to the reservoir so that next time you apply them its the same thing over again.

This would also indicate a satisfactory brake pressure when testing, check the pads and calipers first. The adding fluid to the reservoir could be that the pads have moved towards the rotors displacing fluid, but are still sticking.

rabtech
06-01-2013, 03:33 AM
Yea, I have even had warped rotors to cause this. I doubt this is the case with this issue. It was causing the pads to slightly push back when the warped rotor turned. Then when you applied the brake you had to pump the pad back out with a couple of taps. And the strange thing was you couldnt feel the warp. However you could see it.

Flanker
06-01-2013, 07:00 AM
If possible check with another dealer or brake shop. There is something wrong and they are not seeing it. You can have the pressure but it has to hold. If you have to pump them it's not holding the pressure. If you have to refill your losing fluid somewhere. Lots of possibilities, air in the lines, water, old fluid or leaking o-rings or master cylinder...good luck but I wouldn't wait...!! :thumbup:What he said...............take it to a different dealer/mechanic. Good luck!

Buttsy
06-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Yikes don't mess around get another dealer asap to look into it. Pumping just ain't right................nojoke

NancysToy
06-01-2013, 07:54 AM
The first thing I would do would be to flush and bleed the brakes. If the problem persists, a closer look will be necessary. The firmer, higher pedal if pumped up is typical of the Spyder (and many other vehicles with ABS brakes), but pumping should not need to be excessive. ABS brakes tend to feel a little spongy, as the VCM or brake controller is at least partially applying and distributing the pressure. Raising the brake pedal may be necessary with aftermarket footboards. I would worry more about the continual loss of fluid. That indicates a system leak, which needs to be found and eliminated.