PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question for turn signals

Bumblebee67
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I'll try to be brief with my question... I hooked up some LED front turn signals pods ( from Custom Dynamics) and also the Double Play to go with them. Turn signals work fine UNTIL you step on the brake pedal, then they turn into hazard lights, let go of the brake and they revert back to turn signals. I unhooked LED pods and hooked back stock and works normal- hook Led's back up- back to hazards- I called Custom Dynamics and the tech said that on SOME models BRP has the "turn signal diode" wiring reversed?!? :hun: It is getting mixed signals from the LED's and I have to get a new diode?!? He said there is a box on the left side up front-next to the brake box diode- that needs to be replaced?? Has ANYBODY else run into this problem? OR know anything about this " diode" box??? I also installed the rear LED turn signals and they work fine. I have spent 3 whole days wiring and unwiring these stupid things trying every senerio possible and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.:cus: I can't stand it when a person tells me the problem lies in my bike and I can't find a solution... :gaah::helpsmilie:

joet82
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
First things first....RT/ST/RS?

Bumblebee67
05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
:opps: Sorry... It's an 08 GS SE5....:thumbup:

Chupaca
05-29-2013, 10:04 PM
why would the brake have anything to do with the turn signals or hazard lights. True the signal lights and hazard lights are the same but the brake system is seperate. All the lights I have installed I did to the corresponding signal. Did not do any of the ones you are working with but seems the problem lies somewhere else..good luck..!! :dontknow:

JCSMOKE
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
I would go and rework the wiring, if you are positive about your wiring job return the unit for a new one. Be careful there have been wiring issues with the double play unit. On my bike there was a huge amount of electrical smoke billowing out of the interment area, turns out it was a wiring connection from the factory that started on fire.

Riker
05-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Sounds similar to a grounding issue I had in my car back in the day. Stepped on the brake and various lights came on. Agree with JCSMOKE, if your wiring is good, I would think it is something odd in the LED. Especially since standard bulb works. Edit... And, if the second one does the same thing, then maybe they are right... lol

Bumblebee67
05-29-2013, 10:44 PM
My wiring is right on.. I had no issues until I installed the LED'S. I have no idea why the brakes affect the front turn signals. I can re-install stocks and the problem disappears. I can unhook the Double Play and just run the LED's and the problem is still there. It does act like a grounding issue but I can replace wire for wire with the stock and all is fine. In my opinion, the problen lies within the LED pods...but not according to Custom Dynamics....... :banghead::cus::banghead:

Motorcycledave
05-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi When you ge it figured out let me know if you will... I have the same as you
2008 GS SE5 and was thinking of the light setup you are attempting.
I keep reading about all the electrical problems that seems to be the norm
with the Spyders I have owned over 30 motorcycles from GoldWings on down
and have wired up all kinds of lights and such on them and NEVER have I had the trouble
see on the Spyder forum.
D
Thanks
Dave

zrc
05-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Are you using Triple Play boxes in this setup?

Sarge707
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
I used the double-play on my GS for a Year then it started having problems with the Double Play unit.
Only thing I can think of is to make sure you tap that orange wire into the right wire in the rear up under the wheel cover-as I remember that being part of the install?

jerpinoy
05-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I've done this all the time. When everything fails, read the installation instruction again you might have missed something..... good luck.

joet82
05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
I personally had no issues myself. have the double play with the led turns and tricfenders and mudflap lights and have no issues.

zrc
05-30-2013, 03:01 PM
I did a ton of electrical work over the holidays this year and I had some similar insanity. I found after 5 nights of 4+ hours full electrically diagramming, working and back tracing that the double play / triple play boxes were what were causing my issues.

After I uninstalled them I found that everything worked still and most of it flashed, the triple / double combo just made it flash in a little different of a sequence.

Flanker
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Disable the double play thing, see if your turn signals work OK. If they do................... at least you'll have isolated the problem with the double play unit. If you're really disgusted with the whole thing............................send me a PM, I'm glad to buy the LED turn signal kit from you at a reasonable fee. Not interested in the cr@ple play unit though.

lmfarmer94
05-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I'll try to be brief with my question... I hooked up some LED front turn signals pods ( from Custom Dynamics) and also the Double Play to go with them. Turn signals work fine UNTIL you step on the brake pedal, then they turn into hazard lights, let go of the brake and they revert back to turn signals. I unhooked LED pods and hooked back stock and works normal- hook Led's back up- back to hazards- I called Custom Dynamics and the tech said that on SOME models BRP has the "turn signal diode" wiring reversed?!? :hun: It is getting mixed signals from the LED's and I have to get a new diode?!? He said there is a box on the left side up front-next to the brake box diode- that needs to be replaced?? Has ANYBODY else run into this problem? OR know anything about this " diode" box??? I also installed the rear LED turn signals and they work fine. I have spent 3 whole days wiring and unwiring these stupid things trying every senerio possible and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.:cus: I can't stand it when a person tells me the problem lies in my bike and I can't find a solution... :gaah::helpsmilie:

Yvonne, Any answer to your problem yet?

Bumblebee67
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Disable the double play thing, see if your turn signals work OK. If they do................... at least you'll have isolated the problem with the double play unit. If you're really disgusted with the whole thing............................send me a PM, I'm glad to buy the LED turn signal kit from you at a reasonable fee. Not interested in the cr@ple play unit though.

I unhooked the Double play unit and still the problem exists when you hit the brakes. Am gonna call Custom Dynamics again today...

Flanker
05-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a god idea.........................good luck!