PDA

View Full Version : Left-Side Alternative to Right-Hand "Fly By Wire Throttle"

jaguar
05-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I am disabled and have no functional use of my right hand. I would like to buy a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, but would need to have a left-side throttle; either a left-grip throttle that turns in the convention direction; or preferably a left foot throttle. While there has been several previous discussions by others on this topic, the ideas seemed to involve cable throttle systems. As most of you know, the Spyder Rt has been using a "fly by wire" system since 2010. Has anyone heard of a left-foot throttle (or even a left-grip throttle that accelerates by turning back to front) for the Can Am Spyder with a fly-by-wire throttle system? An alternative electronic throttle would need to be able to send the correct impulses to the Electronic Control Module. The reason I say that a left-side grip throttle would have to turn in the conventional manner/direction, is of the difficulty (and discomfort) someone who has to steer and throttle with one arm would have in that position. Picture pushing and pulling to steer and turn with your wrist cocked forward.

Any thoughts, ideas, and input would be much appreciated.

Tierhog
05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Given the situation, perhaps a thumb throttle (left handed) could be fabricated. That way, you would have more grip potential during maneuvers? Never seen a foot throttle, but It cant be far fetched to create an assembly that sends the position of the throttle to the cpu for proper throttle response. Perhaps more will chime in soon! :)

SpyderAnn01
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM
:welcome: I know that a left foot gas pedal can and has been installed on an RS. But I guess you are saying that the RS and RT have different throttle mechanisms? The pedal was installed by a company that does van and vehicle conversions for drivers with disabilities.

alpacaguy
10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Does anybody have any names and address of companies that might provide left hand/foot throttles? I have a friend that lost his right arm at the shoulder to bone cancer at age 15. He has overcome any problems thrown at him by that and is now a Doctor treating cancer himself. He is looking at maybe getting a 2014 RT and I am trying to gather some information for him. Any info will be appreciated...

SpyderAnn01
10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Does anybody have any names and address of companies that might provide left hand/foot throttles? I have a friend that lost his right arm at the shoulder to bone cancer at age 15. He has overcome any problems thrown at him by that and is now a Doctor treating cancer himself. He is looking at maybe getting a 2014 RT and I am trying to gather some information for him. Any info will be appreciated...

Have him contact a company that does vehicle conversions. The company in Michigan that did my friend's Spyder had never done a motorcycle/Spyder before.

Chupaca
10-18-2013, 11:37 AM
the best place would be the handicap conversion folks. Cable operated throttles and fly by wire throttles require different adaptations. But they woud know and would like the challange...:thumbup:

Henning
01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
look at my video, i have left side throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9G6Icmsgg

I am disabled and have no functional use of my right hand. I would like to buy a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, but would need to have a left-side throttle; either a left-grip throttle that turns in the convention direction; or preferably a left foot throttle. While there has been several previous discussions by others on this topic, the ideas seemed to involve cable throttle systems. As most of you know, the Spyder Rt has been using a "fly by wire" system since 2010. Has anyone heard of a left-foot throttle (or even a left-grip throttle that accelerates by turning back to front) for the Can Am Spyder with a fly-by-wire throttle system? An alternative electronic throttle would need to be able to send the correct impulses to the Electronic Control Module. The reason I say that a left-side grip throttle would have to turn in the conventional manner/direction, is of the difficulty (and discomfort) someone who has to steer and throttle with one arm would have in that position. Picture pushing and pulling to steer and turn with your wrist cocked forward.

Any thoughts, ideas, and input would be much appreciated.

DJFaninTN
01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
awesome video. thanks for posting it!

Papa
01-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow! Great video and ingenious mods. I hope you have many years and miles enjoying this ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

M109Dreamer
01-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Awesome video! Good for you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jaherbst
01-05-2014, 12:16 AM
That was terrific! Just goes to show you, anything you set your mind to you can do. Wishing you many happy miles.

PS I taught a triple amputee to fly with prosthesis. He got his Commercial and Instrument. We also have a young girl here in Tucson that was born with no arms who just got her private license. She does not use prosthesis but flys with her feet.

Fat Crip
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I found a Can Am dealer in London, UK who can do a left hand fly-by-wire throttle and are doing one for me along with a left hand brake as I type. They are www.gsjettech.co.uk and the engineer is Ian. Might not be handy for most of you, but, I believe he buys his parts from the States and might be able to point you in the right direction!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-25-2014, 12:09 AM
I found a Can Am dealer in London, UK who can do a left hand fly-by-wire throttle and are doing one for me along with a left hand brake as I type. They are www.gsjettech.co.uk (http://www.gsjettech.co.uk) and the engineer is Ian. Might not be handy for most of you, but, I believe he buys his parts from the States and might be able to point you in the right direction!

I believe you must have meant http://www.gsjettech.com/. The link above does not work.

zamfield
08-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Very inspirational...

Fat Crip
08-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Pictures of my left hand conversion are now on GS Jet Tech's Facebook page (just search GS Jet Tech on Facebook) and you'll see my yellow STS.

The only issue I've found with it so far is that trying to change up whilst still holding the throttle open can be a challenge.

Top End Unlimited
08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
look at my video, i have left side throttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9G6Icmsgg

I am so proud of you for sticking to it and getting it done. We have to many people out in this world that have the "poor me " attitude.

Great job ! I wished I could visit Norway just to meet you. Have a great day ! Enjoy the ride !

Henning
10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
I am so proud of you for sticking to it and getting it done. We have to many people out in this world that have the "poor me " attitude.

Great job ! I wished I could visit Norway just to meet you. Have a great day ! Enjoy the ride !

Thank you! here is my new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6CGPkU9bA

Southpaw
10-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Pictures of my left hand conversion are now on GS Jet Tech's Facebook page (just search GS Jet Tech on Facebook) and you'll see my yellow STS.

The only issue I've found with it so far is that trying to change up whilst still holding the throttle open can be a challenge.

That looks exactly like what I need. I am a right hand amputee and need to get a left hand throttle. I will definitely talk to them. How much did that cost?
Thanks for the info!

Southpaw
10-14-2016, 02:10 PM

When the left side throttle was installed did you disconnect the right side?

Gordy
10-15-2016, 04:00 PM
I wonder what automobiles use that have drive by wire.Possibly the parts could be used on a spyder.They must use a reostat using vref or vpower.Vref is 5 volts called reference voltage vpower is vehicle power 12 volts