PDA

View Full Version : riser block install question

Sopher
06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I asked my dealer about how much it cost to have them install the riser block. He guessed 2 hrs plus the part. Thats $140/hr plus the part.
I bought the part to install it myself. The manual says 1 hr to install.

It the manual right?
Any suggestions or tricks other than what the manual says?

What about torque on the main bolt?

jnt
06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Lamonster has a post somewhere (could not find it on short notice) that details what many of us found. The biggest headache is getting to the 8mm screws that hold the cover on, especially the ones on the seat side of it. I used a skinny 1/4-drive ratchet with a short socket. Oh, and put a towel or 2 around the steering - those little screws seem to really like to explore the innards of Spyders! javascript:void(0);

SSL4X4
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for bringing this up. It sounds like you are adding it to your Spyder after having it a bit. My dealer recommended it from the start and will put it on when they put my machine together. Your post makes me feel better about getting it from the beginning. The are charging me $45 for the part and 30 mins labor to put it on. I never trust dealers completely but it sounds like this was a good idea. I am 6'1 and he said it will help me with back strain from the position of the stock mounts. Good luck with the install!!

sabunim5
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Caution the tourque specifications in the shop manual are wrong. They are too high. I can't remember the correct values and don't have access to the manual right now. Some have sheared the bolt off using the high values. I know there is a post about the installation either on this site or at Spydertalk.com. Good Luck with the install. :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder:

trikester
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
As to torque, I just snuged up the nut using a short handle socket wrench. I was concerned by what I read on this forum about people breaking the bolt. I don't see anything critical about torquing to a certain spec. They do that for production personnel and mechanics because it is the only measurement available for a uniform guideline.

The bolt only has to be tight enough so that it doesn't unscrew itself and holds the extention firmly, in my opinion. There is no rotational force on the nut, that is born by the spline.

Frank

pphantom538
06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Frank,
Thank you.