PDA

View Full Version : New or upgraded trans filter

Highwayman2013
05-28-2013, 01:22 PM
How can I tell if my 2012 RT Limited came with the regular(short) or upgraded(long) filter for the transmission? Is the cover longer and if so what is the measurement? Coming up on the first oil change I will do, the dealer did the 600 mile. Just want to make sure I have the right filter before getting started.

Thanks Len

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
When you purchase the filter's the larger cap is currently part of the package. Not sure for how much longer tho. So, even if you don't have it now you will when you get the new filters.

Make sure you mark one of the filter caps and the screws with a magic marker. The trans and engine filter bolts are different lengths and if installed in the wrong holes.......it WILL ruin your day.

Highwayman2013
05-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Here's how it went: I was at the dealer to get the owner's Manual they forgot to give me when I picked up the bike. I said while I'm here I'll get the oil change kit. The parts guy sold me the kit for the manual trans bike so next time I was in the dealer I said I wanted a trans filter and they sold me one. Then when I open the box no O ring. Had to buy an o ring. This is becoming a comedy so I was just wondering how to tell if the longer filter is on there and if he sold me the right one. Got no cap with trans filter. Thanks

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Here's how it went: I was at the dealer to get the owner's Manual they forgot to give me when I picked up the bike. I said while I'm here I'll get the oil change kit. The parts guy sold me the kit for the manual trans bike so next time I was in the dealer I said I wanted a trans filter and they sold me one. Then when I open the box no O ring. Had to buy an o ring. This is becoming a comedy so I was just wondering how to tell if the longer filter is on there and if he sold me the right one. Thanks

That's what I call a 'FULL SERVICE' dealer. Not the service you wanted, but you're getting serviced. :roflblack:

If all else fails and you need parts go to the front page here and on the right hand side you find a parts link. In case you did not know. If you did.......forget I said it. :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks I called the dealer to check the Vin # and see if the upgrade was done. They will call back. They did the 600 service while the bike was still a Demo. Coming up on 3000 mile interval and we will be taking it on a long vacation so I want to change the oil before we leave.
Thanks for helping.

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
There should be a sticker on either the oil tank or filter housing indicating the new style was installed.

Really........that would be cool. Is that something your dealer did?

Highwayman2013
05-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Ok thanks Roger. I just got of the phone with the dealer(sevice dept) and they only show one filter. pn420256454. so the parts dept sold me a 420256452 so I guess they sold me the wrong trans filter. It has been a while since I had the side panels off but I don't remember any stickers under there. I just thought someone would maybe know if the cover was longer what the measurement was for the short or long covers. Thanks. Looks like its back to the dealer to train them.

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
The retro kits came with stickers.
Your mileage may vary.

Hmm? Let the dealer do my last OC for the panel upgrade.....they know I'm not a sticker guy.....in fact, the parts manager kidded me one day over one that hadn't been removed.

Gotta check my garage stock now.

2ndChildhood
05-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Here is a picture of the old trans filter cover. It is about 1in from inside to outer ring. The new cover is quite a bit bigger. Hope this help.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/29/umy5u6yb.jpg

Life is Great - Be Safe
ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Highwayman2013
05-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes it does. Thanks.

Rcspyder12
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40092-FYI-New-filters-and-Maintenance-Schedule-for-ALL-Spyders&highlight=Filters:thumbup:

Highwayman2013
05-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks RC that's just what I needed.:bowdown:

revjvegas
05-29-2013, 12:39 PM
The retro kits came with stickers.
Your mileage may vary.
:agree:Yup.

The last kit I picked up had the new sized filter and cap plus a sticker to be installed on the oil tank to let future maintenance know that the filter had been updated.

Highwayman2013
06-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Update: I just had some of the tupperware off and It's the old style filter. I guess it will be upgraded on the next oil change. I just wonder why my lawn tractor has a spin on filter but the Spyder doesn't? Even my Kawasaki Vulcan has 1 spin on oil filter that you can get in any parts store. Oh well...:dontknow: