PDA

View Full Version : Manual release park brake

Chief2
05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
I need to manual release park brake on 2012 RT-s SE5. I own 2 RTS I accidentally put wrong key in ignition and I can not get it out need to release park brake so I can trailer it to the dealer.

CyncySpyder
05-28-2013, 07:37 AM
I need to manual release park brake on 2012 RT-s SE5. I own 2 RTS I accidentally put wrong key in ignition and I can not get it out need to release park brake so I can trailer it to the dealer.

I did the same thing with a buddy's RT, got our keys mixed up and put mine in his, and thought like you, no matter how hard I tried, it seemed stuck. But after about 10 minutes of playing with it, my buddy was able to get it out of the ignition without any harm and no hammers either :clap: so you may want to just try it a bit more, maybe from a different angle or maybe even have another person try, just be cautious and patient, cause you definitely don't want to break it off in the switch :yikes: but it would save you alot of hassle to get it out yourself and maybe some money as well :clap:

As for releasing the parking brake, I'm at work right now, but I'm thinking it may be listed in your owners manual, but I could be wrong on the part :dontknow: Good luck and let us know how it turns out :pray:

CyncySpyder
05-28-2013, 07:45 AM
http://parts.spyder.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:\\EmpartWeb\\data\\1s\\06\Y1202\22Y 1202b.tif&ilSC=15&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8
Not sure if this will help you or not, but where you see #22 at the very top, you need to release enough tension on the cable to slip the end piece out of its holder, then the brake pressure would be releasedhttp://parts.spyder.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:\\EmpartWeb\\data\\1s\\06\Y1202\22Y 1202a.tif&ilSC=15&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Chief2
05-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Ok I finally got the wrong key out used a long pair of needle nose pliers and put a little leverage it came out. Guess I need to color code the keys so this doesn't happen again. You would think there would be a manual release for the park brake.

CyncySpyder
05-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Ok I finally got the wrong key out used a long pair of needle nose pliers and put a little leverage it came out. Guess I need to color code the keys so this doesn't happen again.

:clap:Glad to hear you got it out :clap:

CyncySpyder
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)

BikerDoc
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
I love to see simple & positive resolutions to problems. Good call Cincy.

NancysToy
05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Ok I finally got the wrong key out used a long pair of needle nose pliers and put a little leverage it came out. Guess I need to color code the keys so this doesn't happen again. You would think there would be a manual release for the park brake.

I think you still have something wrong there. Inserting another Spyder's key should not start the Spyder, but the key should still slip in and out readily. I'd say there is something wrong with your ignition switch, unless there is another piece of the puzzle you haven't mentioned.

Lamonster
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I think you still have something wrong there. Inserting another Spyder's key should not start the Spyder, but the key should still slip in and out readily. I'd say there is something wrong with your ignition switch, unless there is another piece of the puzzle you haven't mentioned.

Harvey did the same thing and I sprayed a little polish I had (no WD40 handy) and it came right out. That was after I made a call to Kurt. I don't think there's anything wrong with his I think it's just how the tumblers hit with the wrong key.

CyncySpyder
05-28-2013, 11:14 AM

As I stated above Scotty, same thing happened to me and my key got stuck in my buddies RT-S, not sure if theres any difference in the model years and how the keys are cut, his is a 10 & ours is an 11, but it was stuck good, but he was able to finally get it out with no ill effects to mention, now 2 years later.

jerpinoy
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
My Spyder key is by itself and this way I will not make mistake again. I don't mix my other keys.

Sarge707
05-28-2013, 11:42 AM

If there was a manual release of the parking brake it would Nullify any security advantage just like a manual release to the handlebar lock. Its nice someone needs a computer access key to turn the bars or Move it?