PDA

View Full Version : Full face or 3/4 Helmet

kepople
05-28-2013, 12:27 AM
so what do most of you use for a helmet?

I bought a ST3 but I dont think I will like it much.

If touring, which do you prefer... Full face helmets, or 3/4?

Chupaca
05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Done this several times..we use the HJC modular helmets with the scala G9 audio system. In town warm weather ryde with the face open freeway cold weather face down. My wife and I are very happy with this set up. There are other threads on the subject..check them out....:thumbup:good luck..!!

effgjamis
05-28-2013, 02:27 AM
I use both, full and 3/4.. on long rides. be it full for rain, cold and strong gusty dusty winds. 3/4 for med warm to hot.
Of course it depends on my carrying capacity, no trailer I then take the full otherwise I take both.

DoggyDaddy
05-28-2013, 02:39 AM
I too have gone between open face and modular helmets until recently. I purchased a Nolan N43E Trilogy helmet that has a removable chin bar that locks into place. I am sure it is not quite as strong as an integrated chin bar but it allows me to quickly convert the helmet to open faced "bucket" in a matter of seconds. It also has a built-in retractable sun visor which is a nice feature. It is configured to allow for easy installation of bluetooth headsets (I chose the Sena SM5 over the very pricy Nolan model). It worked so well for me I ordered a matching one for my wife. We both love the versatility and can ride in all weather conditions without worrying about having chosen the wrong helmet for the ride.

Grandpa Spyder
05-28-2013, 04:51 AM
I own half, 3/4 and full face. When traveling I use 3/4 when riding local half and in the winter full face. But if you want safety and don't mind sweating go full face. I like 3/4 when traveling with face shield because you never know what kind of weather you are going to be in.

vtrider
05-28-2013, 05:38 AM
I like the full face for the protection. When riding in city traffic I just flip the face shield up to stay cooler. I just purchased this new modular helmet from HJC (new model this year), and really like the quality compared to other HJC helmets that I've owned. This helmet is a nice helmet and is lightweight, solid and has decent wind noise protection. I like that because my GS has the shorty sport windshield with no wind protection. I do like the airflow to stay cooler, it's just the wind noise that can be bothersome. If I ever decide to buy an RT, I would like to try the ST3 helmet from BRP as an alternative choice for second helmet. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-max-align-helmet

SPYD1
05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Yes buy one that is convertible.

Bob Denman
05-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I'll stick with the full-face protection; thank you... :thumbup:

mdale46
05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
We both have the Nolan N-43 (6 in 1) also, with Scala G-9. We use the 3/4 configuration mostly, but keep the chin guards in the frunk. The helmet works well for us. :spyder2:

hellridgeryder
05-28-2013, 07:09 AM
My wife and I bought Nolan N43 Triology helmets with intrgrated J&M Elite headsets. We are very satisfied with that setup. A word of caution on sizing. They seemed really tight and hard to get on at first but broke in after a few road trips and are very comfortable, quiet and stable when riding.

NancysToy
05-28-2013, 07:13 AM
In answer to your question....

"How much do you value your chin?" :D

Ga Blue Knight
05-28-2013, 07:45 AM
In the South with extreme heat and humidity it's always a toss up between protection from the road hazards and protection from heat stroke. Having said that I wear a SHOEI RF1100 full face for high speed highway travel (great ventilation) and a 3/4 carbon fiber HD with no face shield but goggles for around town or back roads travel ( lower speed, or local trips). In the winter its the Full Face SHOEI 100% of the time. Everything is a compromise and you have to make a personal choice.

PrairieSpyder
05-28-2013, 08:06 AM
+1 for the Nolan N43E Trilogy. I previously used a Scorpion modular. But in the 3/4 configuration it didn't have a face shield (except the sun visor). With the Nolan, I have a full-face (I'll use it in the cold weather), open face, 3/4 with face shield. I also tried out a Shark modular that had the chin bar that would raise to the back of the head and retained the face shield.

Beides the features I liked, the Nolan fits best, too.

BikerDoc
05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
I use both, full and 3/4.. on long rides. be it full for rain, cold and strong gusty dusty winds. 3/4 for med warm to hot.Of course it depends on my carrying capacity, no trailer I then take the full otherwise I take both. I agree with this strategy. It works great!

Spydr in KS
05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
I too have gone between open face and modular helmets until recently. I purchased a Nolan N43E Trilogy helmet that has a removable chin bar that locks into place. I am sure it is not quite as strong as an integrated chin bar but it allows me to quickly convert the helmet to open faced "bucket" in a matter of seconds. It also has a built-in retractable sun visor which is a nice feature. It is configured to allow for easy installation of bluetooth headsets (I chose the Sena SM5 over the very pricy Nolan model). It worked so well for me I ordered a matching one for my wife. We both love the versatility and can ride in all weather conditions without worrying about having chosen the wrong helmet for the ride.

+1 just got an N43e and love it:yes:

pro10is
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
What's the point of protecting the top of your head if you're not going to protect the bottom?

PrairieSpyder
05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
What's the point of protecting the top of your head if you're not going to protect the bottom?

Chins are easier to fix than brains.

bluestratos
05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I use Scorpion 900's as they are convertible from full face to 3/4 face. I wear full face until the weather gets too hot then take the chin bar off and snap on the sun bill. It has a drop down sunvisor to protect my eyes from stones and bugs and even showers since I wear glasses. There are many OPINIONS and just as many know it all's so make your own choice after weighing all of the options.

Bob Denman
05-28-2013, 09:37 AM
:agree:

Not because I'm so pretty ;:shocked: but because I enjoy chewing my food! :thumbup: ;)

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Without getting graphic. You do not have to fall off your bike to sustain an injury. Once witnessed a Wing rider in stop and go traffic fail to stop in time. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet when his face met 'his' windshield. I did what I could for him until paramedics arrived. Folks it's all about choices......and those are best weighed with experience. Not preaching here. It's your head.

spyder3
05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Schuberth C3 modulars here with built in bluetooth system.....I'm too smugly to mess this mug up anymore...wifey is too purdy to risk messing that up. Its been a while since the last helmet thread which always leads to the debate.:roflblack:

Rcspyder12
05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Best of both worlds /check these out:thumbup:

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Hawk-Helmets/3159.html

Gunny
05-28-2013, 11:24 AM

I just ordered the same helmet for the wife and I this weekend. She liked the comfort and the removeable chin bar as well. Cant wait to try mine out.

kepople
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks... Sounds like I should try on a N43 somewhere before finalizing with the chin guard. I like to eat too, but I do see a lot of people on the road who must not like to.
I liked the look of the Bell Mag9 Sena version as well.

Apologies if this thread has been done before. The search box brought up nothing, but I assumed it would a common thread.

ARtraveler
05-28-2013, 01:44 PM
From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go. Unfortunately, you never know when you are going to need the protection. Stuff happens and we just don't know when.

I have both full face helmets--a pair of Nolan full face 103's, as well as a pair of the 3/4 Nolan N43's. One with the removable chin bar and one without the chin bar. I usually wear the full face when going on rydes that are more than local, but like the N43 on other rydes. Akspyderlady is claustrophobic when it comes to full face--so her helmet of choice is the N43.

I am aware that most accidents happen within a radius of 20 miles or so from home. I am also aware that we make choices for what we are going to do concerning the safety gear we put on each time. I am a believer of ATGATT. All the gear, all the time.

A tough subject and we will see as many opinions as there are posts. This one is my .02.

pro10is
05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Chins are easier to fix than brains.
I don't want to preach to anyone either, it's a personal decision we all need to make for ourselves. It's just that the way I look at is that if I'm going through all the bother of wearing a helmet anyway I might as well protect my entire head. You may be able to live with a severely damaged jaw, chin, and mouth but you'll regret the decision to skimp on the protection of a full face for the rest of your life. Again, my 2 cents only.

kepople
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
So how much protection does the modular N43 chin piece actually provide?

Are you better getting a helmet that provides some vents at the chin as well?

PrairieSpyder
05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Your safest option is to not ryde at all. Since we do ryde, we have to balance the desired level of safety with comfort and features we prefer, given our climate, style, and the amount of risk we feel comfortable assuming.

It's a personal decision.

ARtraveler
05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
RE: Chin Bar on N43. I would not count on it to give you the same protection as a "real" full face helmet, since it clicks into position. Too much stuff to break in a hard hit.

Bob Ledford
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
When we first got our Spyder we bought half helmets with zip out cold weather protection. Then we saw these neat Arthur Fullmer open face with drop down shades." I found a Vega Transit 3/4 on clearance table with attached drop shield that I wear all the time now.

Being in Florida I may go back to the 1/2 for extreme heat conditions.

A full coverage helmet causes me problems with putting off and on as I wear corrective glasses and need two hands free and hate to put my glasses on the seat as I had a new pair blow off and destroyed the lenses $300 down the drain.

flaggerphil
05-28-2013, 11:03 PM
My wife and I both use Shoei RF-1100 full face helmets. I also have a half helmet that I only use for parades or short Patriot Guard missions. For 99% of my riding I use a full face helmet and have since 1976. Don't like the idea of asphalt or concrete shaving my chinny chin chin.

jlemkow
05-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I seem to lose quite a bit of my peripheral vision with a full. I find I must turn my head and take my eyes off the road to really see what if coming up next to me. Not too safe for me.

DoggyDaddy
05-29-2013, 12:35 AM
I just ordered the same helmet for the wife and I this weekend. She liked the comfort and the removeable chin bar as well. Cant wait to try mine out.
Check out ordering it from Revzilla. That's where I got mine and they have great customer service. If it doesn't fit, return it without any hassle. Also, they consistently beat their estimated shipping times...at least to me in So. Cal. (probably from their Las Vegas warehouse). Finally, the price from Revzilla was the best I was able to find anywhere online.:clap:

NancysToy
05-29-2013, 07:14 AM
I seem to lose quite a bit of my peripheral vision with a full. I find I must turn my head and take my eyes off the road to really see what if coming up next to me. Not too safe for me.

Head on a swivel! Standard procedure when riding a motorcycle or flying a plane...with or without a helmet. Learn to keep that head moving.

Jeriatric
05-29-2013, 07:30 AM
:agree: and, I use what I'll call a head dip if I'm clearing a lane visually before moving over. Dipping the head is much easier on the neck when looking back, to the left or right, which does two things. It gives me a much better view of what may or may not be there, and gives a strong indication to anyone 'back there' what my intent is. fwiw

pro10is
05-29-2013, 08:32 AM
The new Arai full face helmets have great peripheral vision. I just bought one this year and the need to swivel is much decreased. Vision-wise I hardly know it's there.

NancysToy
05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
The new Arai full face helmets have great peripheral vision. I just bought one this year and the need to swivel is much decreased. Vision-wise I hardly know it's there.
:agree: They have eliminated that feeling of looking through a porthole.

ARtraveler
05-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Nolan has also been advertising better peripheral vision with their newest 104 version of the helmet. I have not tested this version out. I have a 102 and a 103.

muonwhiz
05-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I'll stick with the full-face protection; thank you... :thumbup: I'm with you there!

Highwayman2013
05-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Full face HJC's here. When I get a new one I'm leaning towards a modular like the Shark. My wife just ordered a new Scorpion Lily EXO 400 full face nice graphics and snell for $109.

wis2013rtltd
05-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Bell Revolver EVO helmets. The modular function is useful on so many levels, but we like it most when we stop for a minute to be able to hinge it up and talk without removing the helmets.

TicketBait
05-29-2013, 03:44 PM

I did my own review of two helmets I have. "click:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23860-Helmet-Review-Part-II-Final-thoughts
When I was shopping for a helmet I wanted as much versatility
as I could find. These foot the bill. Price was never a concern as
safety , comfort and versatility were a higher priority for me. ( have kind-of grown fond of my head and the brain inside ) :p

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/th_P1040048.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/TicketBait/media/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/P1040048.jpg.html)

After being broadsided on the right side of my spyder in a parking
lot less than a mile from my house a year and a half ago from a car
going approx 10-15 mph, when I launched from the spyder I had on
my Can AM ST1 hybrid helmet with the full face jaw attached to it.
The Jaw struck the windshield as went over it, rather than my chin.
I landed on my back and remember the back side of helmet striking
the ground and making a "Kuussh" sound.

The helmet took the entire blow! I will never ride without the jaws in
place. I don't care how hot it gets. And the way the Jaws on the Can-Am/GIVI
helmet are attached, there not coming off no how no way.

jmo

Silvervette05
05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Full face at all times,my head and face are worth a little money

Bob Denman
05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Head on a swivel! Standard procedure when riding a motorcycle or flying a plane...with or without a helmet. Learn to keep that head moving.
Thank you! :thumbup: :agree:

kepople
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Awesome... thanks for the info.
I heard mixed results on the Nolan and was originally going to get ST1's. I like the modular ability.

Problem with anything like this is not being able to try them on.

TRQ
05-30-2013, 10:56 PM
The wife and I really like our Nolan N43E Trilogy helmets. We always use the chin bar when riding, but remove the bar while putting the helmet on or taking it off as it makes it much easier with eye glasses.

meyers54
05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
I recommend a full face. I have ridden all types of bikes for 40 years and was an accident investigator. Get a good modular and have the advantages of being able to flip up chin bar on stops. Keep it locked down at highway speeds.
They don't have to be super expensive to be good. Check to see if they have metal locking posts and are smooth to operate. Check helmet vents so your head can get plenty of air in hot conditions. My wife likes the Nolan 104 but I recently bought the GMax 54S for $145.00. It also has a built in rear LED light with selectable flash patterns and a flip down internal sun shield. What a bargain. :thumbup: I'm a new RT Ltd owner and am keeping my Gold Wing but if you value your face at all and especially your jaw, go with the full coverage. :spyder: We all want to see your smile.

flaggerphil
06-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I find the peripheral vision on the new Shoei helmets to be outstanding. That being said, I've never had a vision problem with full face helmets even back to the late '70s.

NancysToy
06-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I find the peripheral vision on the new Shoei helmets to be outstanding. That being said, I've never had a vision problem with full face helmets even back to the late '70s.

Me either (head on a swivel), but the new wide vision helmets are still a joy compared to our old Bell Stars, eh?

kepople
06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
think I have decided.

Ordering a Shoei Qwest with the graphics in white. (unless you guys can talk me out of it)

My wife fell in love with the RF1100, which I know if not so much a touring helmet, but could not talk her out of it.

BTW: My local "gold wing" dealer gave me a great price because we bought riding jackets. Prices lower than online other than tax. I would rather support local business if I can, so I will pay the extra $20

My only question about the qwest is that the top padding is not removable. Might get funky after a while. I really like the GT Air also, but I think the Qwest fits my head a bit better... (Fat Head)

Agent K
06-01-2013, 09:52 PM
It's a personal preference thing, We wear half helmets, she has a full face shield. Have been looking at others thinking of getting Bluetooth systems.

flaggerphil
06-02-2013, 01:20 AM
think I have decided.
My wife fell in love with the RF1100, which I know if not so much a touring helmet, but could not talk her out of it.

Why would you say that? The RF 1100 makes a perfectly good touring helmet...my wife and I have used them for touring since they came out. We used them to replace our RF 1000 helmets, which we also used for touring.

kepople
06-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Why would you say that? The RF 1100 makes a perfectly good touring helmet...my wife and I have used them for touring since they came out. We used them to replace our RF 1000 helmets, which we also used for touring.

I am sure they do great on touring. I was just referring the video reviews that say its designed more for a racing 3/4 posture.

chipshotin
06-02-2013, 08:49 PM
i have a 3/4 for cold or bad weather but a brain bucket for summer....the mrs prefers the 3/4 with a vent :thumbup:

kepople
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Just got back from ordering my qwest..

I am curious since the liner on it does not come out, if any of you guys wear doo rags, or the cool hat thingy?

Jeriatric
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
if any of you guys wear doo rags, or the cool hat thingy?

:doorag: = Yes. Will help extend the life of your liner.

kepople
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
:doorag: = Yes. Will help extend the life of your liner.

Thanks, what do you wear?

Jeriatric
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks, what do you wear?

Doorags, but the style is dictated by conditions. Warm, Hot, Super Hot, or winter.

MarkLawson
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Look in the mirror. If you like what you see, then get a full face helmet.

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
:shocked:

finless
06-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Any opinions on this helmet?

http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/98/56281/ITEM/Speed-and-Strength-SS2200-Solid-Speed-Helmet.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XUGhAJhUCH4#!

Thanks,
Bob

FlaBound
06-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Use the neotech in colder weather, or sometimes when riding one up, and I plan to drive a little more aggressivley.
Otherwise the wife and I use the Bell Pit Boss 1/2 helmet.
If we drive about 1/2 north into Pennsylvania we fell "over dressed" . No helmet laws there, and most folk are buzzing around with nothing more than a bandana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRvjXbRA7CU&feature=player_embedded

Bob Ledford
06-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Kind of like the credit card ad by American Express don't leave home without it. It is your head abuse it or protect it. It is your choice!

Greg H.
06-14-2013, 05:05 AM
Since I began riding again in 2008, my wife and I have been wearing the HJC Modular Symax IIs. But; since we are approaching that 5 year mark, I'm getting ready to go with the new Nolan N104 Modular for both of us. Like the HJC, the Nolan also features the drop down sunshade.
I want full protection always.

Sarge707
06-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Any opinions on this helmet?

http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/98/56281/ITEM/Speed-and-Strength-SS2200-Solid-Speed-Helmet.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XUGhAJhUCH4#!

Thanks,
Bob

The 4 Reviews All seem to indicate it is Noisy and I Have a X-Element and GMax 3/4 that both have that front bar AND don,t be fooled because that front bar does not make it much safer as far as a rating!

HJC has a New 2012-13 FG Jet Helmet- FiberGlass very similar to the HJC IS33 many have used! Nice Helmet.

donnellpj
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
My wife and I both have the Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/scorpion-exo-900-transformer-helmet

They have a good array of accessories for them (shields, lenses, etc.), and its a pretty well built helmet.
I have never taken the full face option off, I ryde with the full face 99% of the time.

Occasionally when the temp hits triple digits, I will use my Scorpion EXO-100.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/scorpion-exo-100-tribal-helmet

It is a personal thing, but just wear something! You're important to someone!

Ryde safe --Pete

ZWolf-2011
06-21-2013, 10:05 PM
I have just got Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer helmet, I ordered it after seeing the post here. Got a Neon Yellow! I love it, I have a collection of helmets ( 9 in all), and my last one that I got before this one was a flip up like this, by HJC, but compared to my Scorpion 400, it was noise and I did not feel the quality was as good. The EXO-900 was a nice change, quieter for sure. It was like I am driving a new bike around because it was so much quieter. I like the flip up much better, lets be cool of a little while sitting at the traffic lights with the hood up.

Weight, about 3 oz lighter then the HJC.

I tried the helmet in the 3/4 mode, but I just do not like the wind on my face as I am driving. So that part of it will sit in the closet.

ZWolf.TX
Cypress TX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Greg H.
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
:agree:

+ one more! I'll take the extra heat in the summer. Full face modular for us. The past 4+ years: HJC Symax II. Next: I'll be buying Nolan N104 Modular. Both of these fine helmets feature drop down sun shields, and flip up fronts (modular). Best of both Worlds with the best protection.

kepople
06-21-2013, 10:51 PM
EXO looks good, except for some reason the visor is attached to the chin piece?

strange... you cant wear it as a 3/4 with the visor... Just the sun shade. Since I wear glasses, I need the visor.

I am at a loss now. Both the Nolan N43 and the Shoei Jcruise dont fit properly, so I am stumped as to what to get.

The Nolan is perfect, except its uncomfortable where they placed the straps. They rub on my ears.

ZWolf-2011
06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it does attach to the chin piece and I would agree with you, it would have been nice if the shield was attached to the helmet and you could remove the chin part only.

ZWolf.TX
Cypress TX

Rick11Flor
06-22-2013, 12:20 AM
we use the HJC modular helmets with the scala G9 audio system. In town warm weather ryde with the face open freeway cold weather face down. My wife and I are very happy with this set up.

I drive the bike to work every day so far, and when I stop at the light i pick up the chin guard, but i put it down as soon i take off. its also easier to scratch if necessary:clap:.

kepople
06-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Anyone tried the Bell MAG 9?

Hows the fit and finish?
and ventilation?

This is becoming frustrating beacuse I know certain brands just wont fit my head like the HJC and no one seems to stock 3/4 helmets locally.

srwilli
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I just purchased the Bell Mag 9 Sena for use during the summer here in TX. The ventilation is good, and it fits me nicely. Using the measurements suggested I bought the XL. My measurements were on the high side of XL, but helmet fits snug and comfortable. I did have to buy the Sena Mike Mod that was designed for the helmet, but since I all ready have a Sena on my other helmet I just switch the unit in between helmets.

Bob Ledford
06-23-2013, 07:11 PM

My head head has less padding the my bottom. Although road rash is not pain free .

serf
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Modular with Sena SMH10 Bluetooth.