PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the Engine

Old Wolf
05-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Would like some HELP before starting a habit that might cause problems later. We all know that our spyders are fun to ryde, but they are a computer on 3 wheels. Here is my problem on a ride with some friends yesterday one member would always shut his engine off by hitting his stop engine switch to off before turning his key off. Checked Operator's Guide page 45 that is what the book said to do. Problem he is on his 4th Throttle body. Has anyone else who shuts there spyder off like this have Throttle body trouble? Just wondering if it's a computer conflict?

kubie
05-27-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm on my second Spyder and I have always hit the engine shut off switch First before turning off the key. That's what it says to do in the manual and that's the way I was taught to do it at the 3 wheel license endorsement classes. Never had a problem......

Slagiatt
05-27-2013, 07:55 PM
I've NEVER hit the engine kill switch when turning off the RT. Didn't notice it in the book. Never had a problem (just over 6000 miles so far.)
What is the theoretical reason for choosing this method...seems silly to this absolutely-not-a-mechanic. ???

samewok
05-27-2013, 08:18 PM
I have 13,000 miles and have always shot it off with the switch.

SpyderAnn01
05-27-2013, 08:33 PM
I've NEVER hit the engine kill switch when turning off the RT. Didn't notice it in the book. Never had a problem (just over 6000 miles so far.)
What is the theoretical reason for choosing this method...seems silly to this absolutely-not-a-mechanic. ???

If you always use the kill switch to shut off your engine you will be more likely to know where it is in the event of an emergency. I have always used mine and I never had a throttle body issue in 62,000 miles (knock on wood)

Jeriatric
05-27-2013, 08:33 PM

In the case of an emergency where you would want to immediately shut the spyder off you would not need to remove your hands from the bars - to shut it down. It's a good habit to get into. But, the choice is yours.

boborgera
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM
I Never use the kill switch, But that said i can under stand the reasoning behind using every time, ''Safety''..
If you use it every time it becomes second nature in an emergency, and you won't wast time turning a key...
ie, Your thumb is right there to hit the switch with thinking about it......

SPYD1
05-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Same here don't use it.

Can-Am Poogs
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
I use the kill switch too. Just following what the book says. I think the only reason is for emergencies. It's habit now.

Ga Blue Knight
05-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I use the key switch, always figured the kill switch is cheaper made and more prone to failure.

Chupaca
05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Scotty...
:agree: the other advantage in the case of the starter button being depressed by mistake or by some one un knowing or attempting to take a non authorized ride this may avoid things from going wrong....:dontknow:

Jeriatric
05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Hey, what color is this?

Person 1 - Black.

Person 2 - No it's not.......it's white.

roflmao
:banghead::bdh::banghead:

mcaccamise
05-28-2013, 07:37 AM
I agree 100% for me its a habit ive learned in 30+ years of riding.

SpyderWolf
05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
We have a few jokers in a group I ride with at times who like to do things like hide sunglasses and keys, hit kill switches, and so on. You need to keep an eye on your things, take the key with you, and be sure you know how to operate your bike. You would be amazed how long it takes many of them to figure out why their bike won't start, and for some reason the kill switch is one of the last things they suspect. :dontknow: They may finally be getting used to it by now.

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 08:36 AM
We have a few jokers in a group I ride with at times who like to do things like hide sunglasses and keys, hit kill switches, and so on. You need to keep an eye on your things, take the key with you, and be sure you know how to operate your bike. You would be amazed how long it takes many of them to figure out why their bike won't start, and for some reason the kill switch is one of the last things they suspect. :dontknow: They may finally be getting used to it by now.

I love, love, love, to turn on heated grips...........:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: especially when it's over a 100 degrees. YOW!!! It takes a while for them to cool down too.

SpyderWolf
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I love, love, love, to turn on heated grips...........:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: especially when it's over a 100 degrees. YOW!!! It takes a while for them to cool down too.

Sounds like you would fit right in with this group. Another is to turn the stereo on full blast as well.

Jeriatric
05-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Sounds like you would fit right in with this group. Another is to turn the stereo on full blast as well.

Pranks keep us young. A few memorable pranks from my early days with the phone company. Live snakes placed in glove boxes, a dead fish placed under a truck seat - when temps were over a 100, and red ants scooped up with an empty coke cup to be deposited on the cab floor. All are true.......and there are more. :roflblack: