PDA

View Full Version : Intercom systems

Bob Ledford
05-27-2013, 07:21 AM
We ride a 2011 RTL with no other electronics installed other then the OEM stuff.

Q1. How simple are they to install other then the mechanics of helmet installation?

Q2. How good is the communications quality, would 2 tin cans and string, work better?

Q3. Can they communicate with other brands in the market?

Q4. Are they battery eaters, the wireless types?

Q5. What did I forget to ask?

Q6. How well does it filter out wind and Rotax noises?

Q7. Are the installation and operators manuals decent or useless?

stevedfive
05-27-2013, 08:34 AM
We have the BRP wired system. The price is outrageous, but we love the intercom sound quality and ease of use (VOX).

We had the dealer install the system. It was over my skill level.

The CB is terrible to marginal on its best day. We added the J&M Audio CB antenna upgrade.

The wired system can use either the BRP or the J&M Audio wired headset.

Don't have any experience with the wireless commutation system.

Please feel free to contact me via PM and I will send you my number.

granpa in Cincy
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Had the Sena smh10 for just over two years now. Works very well to converse with passenger.

Doesn't work with other brands but does connect bike to bike with three other bikes.

Batteries last full 10 hours or more before need charging.

We only use for driver / passenger but are very satisfied. Speaker placement close to ear is critical.

spyderpoop
05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
DONT BUY IT it crap I have to have it repaired again as the CB Modular gone bad and now two weeks later I got to take it back for the same thing not working

SPYD1
05-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Had the Sena smh10 for just over two years now. Works very well to converse with passenger.

Doesn't work with other brands but does connect bike to bike with three other bikes.

We only use for driver / passenger but are very satisfied. Speaker placement close to ear is critical.
Agree. I love mine.

eaglemrpaul
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I like my Sena system a lot. I installed it in the trunk of my RT Limited and am I glad I did. The SENA SM10 seems to take more out of it's internal battery than the electrical connection to the Radio put back in. With the SM10 in the trunk it's easily accessed to charge inside my home or off the plug cigarette receptacle that's also in the trunk. Also remember to charge the SENA SMH10 headset units before extended use. As the rechargeable internal battery wears down the volume goes away. Unless I have a passenger to communicate with or I'm listening to the GPS lady I leave the system SENA system off.

Chupaca
05-27-2013, 11:18 AM
We ryde with the Scala G9's and are very happy with them. There are others we have not tried..good luck..!! :thumbup:

DRTSB
05-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I have the wired comm system from BRP, works well and I have no issues with the CB, as far as the comm system I don't like the Boom mic so I bought a UClear HBC 200 bluetooth system, it is a boomless system, the mics are built into the speakers, you have to install them into your helmet with the mic at the bottom, it a very easy install they work very well and they completely cut out any back ground noise, the range of the unit for bike to bike is 700 meters, they use multi hop technology meaning you can add up to 10 units and it extends the range by 700 meters for each unit added for group riding, they do not work with any other headset, but they can be used with the SENA SM10 for connecting up to the radio system on the Spyder.

Dave ;)

Motorcycledave
05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
SENA is the best of the bunch for the money you can't beat it.
My SALE go on through June on the SMH10 units give me a call
Call today I am open
Dave :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-27-2013, 01:14 PM

:agree: We recently purchased the Sena SMH10 and use them for bike to bike communication. We feel they are a definate improvement over the Cardo 2's we had used the past couple seasons. Clearer reception, longer distance for starters.

tofriendscreek
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM
There are a number of good units with equipment and features alike and different. I have used Scala and SENA in the past.
since I was in the market for new headgear, I went with Nolan's N-Com system in a Nolan Trilogy helmet. The unit fits into the left side of the helmet. It's Bluetooth all the way. I can receive phone calls, make last number redial, music from iPod and Garmin and FM radio all from the helmet. It doesn't work with other brands but is bike to bikes capable. Battery life typically exceeds 11 hours. Pairing of rider/passenger, and devices was a snap.

bruiser
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
We use the Scala G9 for bike to bike. Works great. Prior to having two Spyders we had the Scala Teamset for driver/passenger comm. Still have it somewhere.