PDA

View Full Version : Fox shocks

blambert
05-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Folks I have a 2011 RS, I have Baja Ron sway bar and replaced the standard RS shocks with 2011 Rt shocks. Question will the fox shocks provide better performance handling than my current setup now and two what about the pit bull shock relocator does that also provide better handling performance. I do a lot of hard mountain road curves and I'm always looking for better cornering performance

pro10is
05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Speaking from experience I would not buy performance shocks primarily for the purpose of reducing body roll. This is because in order to do this you have to set the shock spring preload so high that it adversely affects ride comfort. I thought I would be willing to give up ride comfort for better handling in the turns but after a year of rattling the fillings in my teeth with every bump I finally gave up and set the preload back to to an acceptable level. Unless your primary goal is to maximize handling in turns at any cost do not purchase performance shocks just to reduce body roll. Instead first use a high performance anti-sway bar and possibly the shock relocators and accept the fact that a little body roll is perfectly normal and does not adversely affect handling all that much. It's only the sensation of the roll that my cause you to back off a bit on turns. For most riders it's just not worth ruining your ride comfort over.

Now with that said, the primary reason for purchasing performance shocks should be better handling over bumps. High quality shocks have much better valving and heat dissipation characteristics so that you will experience significantly better performance when tackling rough roads at higher speeds. You will be able to ride in the worst road conditions with more stability and control. If the shocks you choose have adjustable damping you can further tune the performance more precisely.

So bottom line:

To reduce body roll: first use a performance anti-sway bar, and possibly shock relocators. If this doesn't reduce the roll enough for you then increase spring preload (you do not need high performance shocks to do this) until you reach the limits of your tolerance for lack of ride comfort.
If you want significantly better handling in rough road conditions then consider performance shocks.
To reduce sway in high wind/highway conditions first try a performance anti-sway bar and shock relocators. If this doesn't work enough for you then consider a higher spring preload and performance shocks.

DrewNJ
05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
IMHO- bang for buck, your done.
Personally, I did not like relocated shocks with a stiffer bar...but that's another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveinva
05-27-2013, 10:13 AM
I believe the general opinion for the RS is this:

Stock Shocks
RT Shocks
Fox Shocks
Elka Shocks

That said, I don't think you'd see a dramatic difference between running the RT shocks and the Fox shocks. I'm very happy with my Foxes, they do make a difference, but probably not enough to justify shelling out $$$ to go from the RT shocks.

Spyderfitz
05-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I put on the Ron bar and relocators at Spyderfest this year and left my factory shocks on. I instantly picked up 20 mph on any curve I've tried since. I don't think different shocks would be worth the cost for me.

Chupaca
05-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Seems to be a very personal choice. I have seen post from all range of ryders. The ones that see the biggest difference are the ones who fly through the twisties. These would be mostly GS/RS/RSS's. Those who ryde the the RT's in the most part have them for comfort and hauling the kitchen sink. So how much change would you like and what are you willing to give up for it..?? I personally fall in the mid range with an RS two up BajaRon sway bar and highest setting on the OEM shocks with a little more air in the fronts. I like a little roll in the turns make me feel less likely to lose the front end. Jmo To bad they don't have a dressing room for front end set up's to try on...could get costly finding the right one...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Sarge707
07-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Seems to be a very personal choice. I have seen post from all range of ryders. The ones that see the biggest difference are the ones who fly through the twisties. These would be mostly GS/RS/RSS's. Those who ryde the the RT's in the most part have them for comfort and hauling the kitchen sink. So how much change would you like and what are you willing to give up for it..?? I personally fall in the mid range with an RS two up BajaRon sway bar and highest setting on the OEM shocks with a little more air in the fronts. I like a little roll in the turns make me feel less likely to lose the front end. Jmo To bad they don't have a dressing room for front end set up's to try on...could get costly finding the right one...good luck..!! :thumbup:

I have to agree with you about Too Much control- I have had the Elka,s on my GS with the RonBar and it got tooo twitchy or sensitive soo I was losing my Joy for the GS. Today it was rainy Soo I decided to put the Old (Were only on 1 year-LOL) 09 GS shocks at level #3 with the Ron Bar.
I went out and the Fun came back to me because (Like when it was New) it would lean a little in corners BUT the Ron Bar was there to pull you through just fine.
With the Elka,s at 9 inches preload and 22 rebound it just made the GS Too Much On rails and took a lot of the fun away? IMO

My Most bumpy , twisty backroads around resevoirs were fine with the stock shocks and RonBar and I found myself swerving from one side of the road to another in a Nice rhythm with the suspension a tad looser.

So the Stock GS bars are staying but I think I will up them to #4 Tomorrow. nojoke

hchays
07-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I have a 2013 RS and I just put a BajaRon sway bar and end links on and it is an amazing improvement. However they did in 2013 relocated the shocks, which is equal to relocators on an older RS. My opinion is keep the bar, buy the end links, keep the stock shocks and relocate the shocks and ride, ride, ride.......

Flanker
07-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Speaking from experience I would not buy performance shocks primarily for the purpose of reducing body roll. This is because in order to do this you have to set the shock spring preload so high that it adversely affects ride comfort. I thought I would be willing to give up ride comfort for better handling in the turns but after a year of rattling the fillings in my teeth with every bump I finally gave up and set the preload back to to an acceptable level. Unless your primary goal is to maximize handling in turns at any cost do not purchase performance shocks just to reduce body roll. Instead first use a high performance anti-sway bar and possibly the shock relocators and accept the fact that a little body roll is perfectly normal and does not adversely affect handling all that much. It's only the sensation of the roll that my cause you to back off a bit on turns. For most riders it's just not worth ruining your ride comfort over.

Now with that said, the primary reason for purchasing performance shocks should be better handling over bumps. High quality shocks have much better valving and heat dissipation characteristics so that you will experience significantly better performance when tackling rough roads at higher speeds. You will be able to ride in the worst road conditions with more stability and control. If the shocks you choose have adjustable damping you can further tune the performance more precisely.

So bottom line:

To reduce body roll: first use a performance anti-sway bar, and possibly shock relocators. If this doesn't reduce the roll enough for you then increase spring preload (you do not need high performance shocks to do this) until you reach the limits of your tolerance for lack of ride comfort.
If you want significantly better handling in rough road conditions then consider performance shocks.
To reduce sway in high wind/highway conditions first try a performance anti-sway bar and shock relocators. If this doesn't work enough for you then consider a higher spring preload and performance shocks.

Excellent advice! :thumbup: