PDA

View Full Version : check engine light without limp mode

Johnny_Swindle
05-25-2013, 03:10 PM
In the process of a trip from New Orleans to Houston. Driving along and the check engine light came on. Look at tem guage....no issues.

Pulled over, shut the bike down and check all fluids, and battery connection. No issues. so I started the bike up...no check engine light....bike is running fine, so off I go.......ten minutes later the check engine light comes on again.

I am in the middle of no where so my only option is to drive. I am more nervous tah a cat on a hot tin roof. Suddenly my wife shouts over the intercomm....."there is a BRP sign." It is a tractor dearlership of all places.

Off to the service dept.........mechanic is off (it is sat. before a holiday) but the nice lady say lets see what codes it is generating.......hooked it up and she tells me:
Knock sensor and vcm fault. Without the mechanic she can't tell me much more.

So now I am in Houston, on a saturday afternoon with Monday being a holiday. Am I going to damage the bike if I attempt to ride it back home? It is running like a dream and I have not had any issues since the check engine has come on............

SpyderAnn01
05-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't have an answer but I wanted to post this so your thread will get bumped to the top and maybe some other smart person will have some help for you. Good luck and I hope this doesn't ruin your weekend. If it were me I would keep riding.

ARtraveler
05-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Posting for another bump to bring your thread to the forefront. I am not a mechanic either, but there are some good ones on here.

Ga Blue Knight
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Also bad gas or water in the fuel. Too much ethanol or too low an octane number.

Johnny_Swindle
05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
I suspect that I got "bad gas"........I had never used the station where I purchased gas so I believe that is the cause of my issue........will be back on the road in a little while.

Johnny