PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

VisuMAX
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
What the…?

I took the Spyder out Saturday afternoon for a short trip (less than 10 miles one way & about a 20 min ride) to bike shop to pick up some stuff for my other bike. On the way back home the Spyder over heated and went into “Limp Mode”. So, I pulled off and let the engine cool down. It did this with 88 miles on the clock and only 3.2 hours of operation. Ambient air temp was around 100F here in Albuquerque. After the engine cooled, I got it back in the garage at home. On Sunday, I took it for a quick ride (about the same distance and time) to see if it was going to overheat and sure enough if I did not just get home and backed into the garage it overheated and went into “Limp Mode” again. This time the ambient air temp was only 88F and this happened at 100miles on the clock with 3.9 hours of operation. I am typically riding around at 4-5 bars on the temp gauge which is normal. Any sitting at a light and the temp just starts climbing and the fan kicks on to try and cool things down – which it does not.

So, any extended ride (if you can call 20 min of riding extended) the thing overheats. What I need is ideas as to why it is overheating. All the fluid levels check, the fan kicks on at 6 bar, there are no other error indications. Has anyone else had problems? A quick search of the forms did not reveal much. The last thing I want to do is have to haul it 4 hours to get it looked at in Amarillo, TX with only 100 miles on the clock.

Thanks in advance.

HotMike
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
4-5 bars is when my fan kicks in and I have ridden in high 90s ambient temp. Sounds like you've got a blockage somewhere. It should cool right down. I have though it was not going to but it does. Is hot air blowing on your right leg when the fan kicks on?

VisuMAX
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Yep, my right leg does get hot. I have watched the fan kick on. If, I had a blockage - I would think I would see a rise in temp rather quickly - even while riding down the street.

Lamonster
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Are you puking any antifreeze out of the overflow tank? Is your cap tight?

Danimal
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
During break-in you need to get her out on some back roads...... in-city stop and go is NOT good for break-in.

garganos
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Check your coolant level. Make sure that it's up to your minimum line on the bottle. It up front on the RH side. If it's up to the proper level check for adiquite flow through the bottle once your temp rises. You may have a stuck thermostat.