PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Nanny' overly sensitive or

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 03:22 PM
is it telling you, you need to be smoother and more deliberate with inputs?

Me thinks, if you see it as feed back, it'll tell you how well you're doing as a driver....or not doing.

Unless.....it is your intention to intentionally upset her. Then, that should not count.

tol

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
She definitely doesn't wake up as easily if your efforts are smooth and seamless. :thumbup:

daveinva
05-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Two things I can do to set the Nanny off:

1. Slow-speed turns that are too sharp, e.g. find an open parking lot, lock the wheel in one direction and roll on the throttle. No matter how far you lean/shift off my seat to the inside, you're eventually going to go fast to lift that inside wheel. Once you lift a wheel, the Nanny likes to kick in very soon after in order to slow you down enough to bring the wheel back to the ground.

2. High-speed cornering on off-camber roads. Plenty of mountain roads here in VA/WV/MD area that slope down to drain water away from the road. Ride those fast enough, and the Nanny will kick in.

I will note that having the sway bar and aftermarket shocks keeps the Nanny SIGNIFICANTLY more docile than when at stock. I can "creep up" far closer to the edge of the envelope before I trip the Nanny. That's the upside.

The downside? There's a lot less margin of safety at the edge once the Nanny trips. Meaning, if I'm aggressive enough in a corner to trip the Nanny *even after* having the swaybar, upgraded shocks, and everything set to max, tripping the Nanny can be quite the startling event. :shocked:

SpyderWolf
05-24-2013, 07:03 AM
If you pay attention to it then it can definitely help you get better performance out of your ryding style. First time pushing mine through The Dragon I had the rear wheel squealing and the nanny would constantly jay brake the engine to get traction back there. Next run I discovered a light touch of the brake as entering a corner would mitigate that and I could power off the turn much faster. I also learned the limits of this when I went in to a turn way too hot and lifted the left front wheel higher than I ever have. As my mind started going :shocked:, I dove for the left front of the machine and the nanny kicked in, basically slamming that tire back down. I honestly thought I might flip over that time and do not want to experience that feeling again.

Ga Blue Knight
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Tail of the Dragon, Deals Ga.....311 Nannies in 11 miles!

daveinva
05-24-2013, 07:45 AM
I guess I am just not in the same league as you Spyder HellCats.

Once, and only once I saw the front wheel raise off the ground.
Can't tell you for sure if it was me or Her Highness that took action to correct it.

I did see the VSS light flash, I think.

Don't sweat it, it's all you guys on the RT, which doesn't have a Nanny, but a Granny. :p

I can count on one hand the number of times I've tripped the Nanny in two years, so it's not like this is a frequent occurrence. Which is good, because I have serious trouble when counting on TWO hands. :joke:

DrewNJ
05-24-2013, 07:56 AM
IMHO-yes it is to sensitive. There really should be selectable modes. BRP could easily do this with different keys like they do with the skis or a mode from the cluster.:sour:
Don't get me wrong. It's a fantastic system that does really well, especially for inclement weather riding. But fairly aggressive sport riding you really find the limitations pretty quick.

Jeriatric
05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I guess I am just not in the same league as you Spyder HellCats.

Once, and only once I saw the front wheel raise off the ground.
Can't tell you for sure if it was me or Her Highness that took action to correct it.

I did see the VSS light flash, I think.

Don't sweat it, it's all you guys on the RT, which doesn't have a Nanny, but a Granny. :p

I can count on one hand the number of times I've tripped the Nanny in two years, so it's not like this is a frequent occurrence. Which is good, because I have serious trouble when counting on TWO hands. :joke:

Well, both of you, made me chuckle. Thanks for that! :thumbup:

SpyderSue
05-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Tail of the Dragon, Deals Ga.....311 Nannies in 11 miles!

Now THAT's funny. I'm surprised she didn't throw herself on the floor and have a temper tantrum! :lecturef_smilie:

Chupaca
05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Not crazy but have not awaken the mistress of doom and gloom..some mods have tighten things up other tweaks keep her snoozing comfortably...:roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't sweat it, it's all you guys on the RT, which doesn't have a Nanny, but a Granny.

:roflblack: :shocked: Hey...