PDA

View Full Version : SE5 and downshifting, ProCaliber Longview & PitBull Powersports.....

bmwlarry
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I have always had a problem with downshifting and apparently, didn't know it! The bike (exaggerated in tow mode) has always surged forward terribly when down shifting! It was scary some times in curves and while riding two up and towing a trailer, the downshift surge would scare my wife as well as engage the ABS. I always assumed it was the way it was supposed to be but was always curious why nobody has ever complained on the forum about the surge. This week the bike went into Procaliber Longview and when Shawn took it for a ride he said the clutch plates are not disengaging as they are supposed to do. Now keep in mind, this bike has done this for 19,000 miles. Shawn called BRP and they said my warranty expired on 5/11/2013 and it was too bad! Shawn did not stand for that and argued with them that I explained this issue on 4/23/13 at Spyderfest. BRP has conceded and agreed to cover the costs of replacing the clutch and I have Shawn & ProCaliber Longview to thank for it. This dealership and tech consatntly goes out of their way, above and beyond, to stand behind the customer! Too bad it will take 5 business days to get the parts.

On the ride home from Spyderfest, I discovered that the left front tire had warm smooth on the outside and the bike handled like a pig. I had Pitbull Powersports install shock relocators at the event and Shawn discovered that one had been installed incorrectly which put the front end way out of alignment! Shawn was able to very easily correct the install and Len at Pitbull was very willing to compensate me with covering the replacement cost of one of the front tires. With all this said ... I am very interested in seeing how the bike shifts (as it should have always done) and how the bike handles with the shock relocators properly installed. I have not been happy with the handling since I had them installed but have withheld public judgement since everyone has loved them!

I cant wait and once again ... KUDOS to Procaliber Longview, Shawn, Len and PitBull Powersports!!

jthornton
05-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I installed my relocators and can't help wondering how you install one wrong? Did they say what was wrong?

JT

schnauzermom
05-23-2013, 03:48 PM
DITTO!!!!! Last summer my husband and I became stranded when the throttle body went out on my 2011 RT SE 5. We found ourselves about 30 miles away from Procaliber in the mountains and gave them a call. We were on vacation about 2hrs away from our RV and our 3 schnauzers. Procaliber came and towed us and the RT to their shop no charge. We met Shawn and soon realized we were in great hands. After our parts arrived 4 days later, (we had to rent a rental car to get back to our RV), the RT was like new again and even though they weren't our local dealer we were wishing they were.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

joet82
05-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Best 2 dealers in the nation, imo

Daisyjoe
05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
I have a 2010 RS and it has always surged, especially going from 3rd to 2nd. I just thought it was normal.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I installed my relocators and can't help wondering how you install one wrong? Did they say what was wrong?

JT

:agree: x 2.....Mike...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-23-2013, 07:32 PM
A couple dealers who truely believe in customer service. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Spyderfitter
05-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I just bought a 2012 RT-S SE5 from SK northwest in portland and I live in Battle Ground WA its always good to know where the good dealers are around me. I have had a good experience so far with SK but its always good to know others around me.:yes:

SpyderWolf
05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the report on this and I am very glad to hear you had a good dealer stand up for you. Hopefully your Spyder will be back on the road very soon and you will find out how smoothly it should have been shifting all along.

I have a 2010 RS and it has always surged, especially going from 3rd to 2nd. I just thought it was normal.

The surge is not normal. It may happen at times when you are in need of an oil change the clutch is not disengaging properly, but if it does it all the time you may want to get it looked at. Of course, this is assuming your hand is completely off the throttle when the downshift occurs. If you are still on the throttle somewhat and hit the magic downshift range of 2400 RPM or so that will also cause the surge. That is why many of us like to downshift ourselves and be in control of when it happens.

bmwlarry
05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
I guess there are three bolts holding the relocator in place. One bolt was fine and the shock could go nowhere but on the front two bolts, one goes thru a hole. It missed the hole entirely, essentially raising the one side about 10mm higher than the other. I don't hold this against PitBull because of the overwhelming crowd that descended on their dealership during Spyderfest! Something was bound to go wrong somewhere!

Here are some pics of what was found

bmwlarry
05-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Well here is the followup:
I picked up my bike yesterday. It is a "new" bike. The handling, performance & shifting are all amazing! I still cannot believe I have ridden that bike 19,000+ miles without the clutch ever fully releasing!

Here is what was done:
14,000 mile service including:

check BUDs for codes - none
adjust valves - yes, needed done
replace spark plugs and wires with BajRon / Accel/NGK
check crankcase vent
check fuel filter
check exhaust system
reset Idle speed with BUDS
synchronize throttle bodies
replace air filter
drain, flush and refill coolant system
replace engine/transmission oil and filters (Amzoil)
check clutch operation (found clutch not releasing completely)
check transmission shifting (verified shifting issues)
grease Zerks and A arms
adjust drive belt
check steering
check suspension (found one shock relocater installed wrong - corrected and readjusted Elkas for sway bar and relocator)
flushed brake system
checked brake pads - 70 to 75% left at 19,00 miles
checked wheel bearings - tight and free wheeling
checked tires - see below
checked all electrical

Not in 14,000 mile service but covered under warranty:

checked alignment - was fine after shock relocator install correction.
installed two new front tires (one was warn out result of shock relocator installed wrong)
installed new improved heavy duty clutch pac. - looks like a BRP racing clutch

jthornton
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
I guess there are three bolts holding the relocator in place. One bolt was fine and the shock could go nowhere but on the front two bolts, one goes thru a hole. It missed the hole entirely, essentially raising the one side about 10mm higher than the other. I don't hold this against PitBull because of the overwhelming crowd that descended on their dealership during Spyderfest! Something was bound to go wrong somewhere!

I could not even picture in my mind one getting installed like that without seeing the photos. Thanks for sharing. Do you still lean by habit when riding the spyder?

JT

daveinva
05-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Well here is the followup:
I picked up my bike yesterday. It is a "new" bike. The handling, performance & shifting are all amazing! I still cannot believe I have ridden that bike 19,000+ miles without the clutch ever fully releasing!

Here is what was done:
14,000 mile service including:

check BUDs for codes - none
adjust valves - yes, needed done
replace spark plugs and wires with BajRon / Accel/NGK
check crankcase vent
check fuel filter
check exhaust system
reset Idle speed with BUDS
synchronize throttle bodies
replace air filter
drain, flush and refill coolant system
replace engine/transmission oil and filters (Amzoil)
check clutch operation (found clutch not releasing completely)
check transmission shifting (verified shifting issues)
grease Zerks and A arms
adjust drive belt
check steering
check suspension (found one shock relocater installed wrong - corrected and readjusted Elkas for sway bar and relocator)
flushed brake system
checked brake pads - 70 to 75% left at 19,00 miles
checked wheel bearings - tight and free wheeling
checked tires - see below
checked all electrical

Not in 14,000 mile service but covered under warranty:

checked alignment - was fine after shock relocator install correction.
installed two new front tires (one was warn out result of shock relocator installed wrong)
installed new improved heavy duty clutch pac. - looks like a BRP racing clutch

Larry, since we've been on the subject in numerous threads lately, how much did your 14K service run you, if you don't mind sharing?

spyder3
05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Probably 2 hours labor just to write it up:roflblack::dontknow::gaah:

SpyderWolf
05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Glad to hear they got everything sorted out for you. :thumbup:

bmwlarry
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
I had them use my own oil, filters, o-rings and washers, I supplied the plugs and spark plug wires and Pit bull covered the cost of one on the tires. Clutch was covered under warranty.

14,000 service with valve adj., using my provided oil change supplies: $599.99
new tire with install: $100
ride on in tires: $30

happiness: PRICELESS!!