PDA

View Full Version : 2013 STS - Ball Joint Replacement

Green RSS
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I took my Spyder in for it's first service :clap: and to have them replace the ball joints yesterday. Let me say that my STS handled well from day one. No horror stories like some have expressed about the handling. I had them replaced because I believe if so many of them are bad, then the whole batch could be less than perfect. When I picked it up today (from American Motorsports Madison, TN) and took it for a little ride, WOW!! I lost a little of the cushion (I feel road bumps more), but the handling is fantastic. It doesn't feel like it want to dart into the other lane when switching lanes anymore. And I don't have to relax my grip as much when riding in windy weather. It now feels like its on rails!!! :2thumbs::ani29::2thumbs: I would highly recommend having the ball joints swapped out (as per the recall), even if you don't feel like your Spyder needs it. I thought mine was good. Now it's great.

bullant12
05-23-2013, 01:06 PM
I took my Spyder in for it's first service :clap: and to have them replace the ball joints yesterday. Let me say that my STS handled well from day one. No horror stories like some have expressed about the handling. I had them replaced because I believe if so many of them are bad, then the whole batch could be less than perfect. When I picked it up today (from American Motorsports Madison, TN) and took it for a little ride, WOW!! I lost a little of the cushion (I feel road bumps more), but the handling is fantastic. It doesn't feel like it want to dart into the other lane when switching lanes anymore. And I don't have to relax my grip as much when riding in windy weather. It now feels like its on rails!!! :2thumbs::ani29::2thumbs: I would highly recommend having the ball joints swapped out (as per the recall), even if you don't feel like your Spyder needs it. I thought mine was good. Now it's great.

:agree: 100%... my issue was the same: I felt it different but nothing I was fearing my life was in danger. When I got the ball joints done, it's a totally different feel. BTW... The ball joint replacement is a Service Bulletin, not a recall (it should be a recall for the effects...).

Green RSS
05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
:agree: 100%... my issue was the same: I felt it different but nothing I was fearing my life was in danger. When I got the ball joints done, it's a totally different feel. BTW... The ball joint replacement is a Service Bulletin, not a recall (it should be a recall for the effects...).
Thanks for the correction. :thumbup: And I agree that it should be a recall.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
I wonder if there's any way to find out just how many bikes have been affected? :dontknow:
Glad to hear that it made a nice difference in the feel of your ryde! :thumbup:

Green RSS
05-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder if there's any way to find out just how many bikes have been affected? :dontknow:
Glad to hear that it made a nice difference in the feel of your ryde! :thumbup:

Thanks. And I truly did not think I had any major issues with the handling. But after the replacement, I learned the truth! lol