PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Gauntlet Run

Hawk
05-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Looking to do the Gauntlet on Monday. The only thing that may keep me from doing it is my Spyder still being in the shop. I should know by Friday. Caveman has expressed interest. Anyone else want to come? We don't have to ride it as a "group". We could just find a place to meet for lunch and each person can run it how they want. I plan on entering on 75 Alt outside of Cleveland, going Northeast. I may get off and go to Brasstown Bald and then continue on. I think the Copperhead Lodge has a restaurant Maybe we can meet there around 1. Anyone else want to meet there or suggest another place?

Hawk (Mike)

Cavman
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a plan. There is an Ingles there at the intersection and they have gas. I'd like to stop by the biker store just to see what they have?
I can pass on Brasstown Bald. I wanna ride not hike.

68557Here is info for the restaurant at Copperhead Lodge with cords. Look them up on the Internet to see how to get there? http://www.thelodgeatcopperhead.com/
They look to be out of my budget for lunch? Any other suggestions from some of the folks that live in the area?

EllijaySpyder
05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a plan. There is an Ingles there at the intersection and they have gas. I'd like to stop by the biker store just to see what they have?
I can pass on Brasstown Bald. I wanna ride not hike.

68557Here is info for the restaurant at Copperhead Lodge with cords. Look them up on the Internet to see how to get there? http://www.thelodgeatcopperhead.com/
They look to be out of my budget for lunch? Any other suggestions from some of the folks that live in the area?

My wife Melody and I are meeting JKMSPYDER from Murphy NC at 9:30 am Saturday to ride the Gauntlet. We are going to meet at the Skeena Gap Caampground. It is located at the intersection of Skeena Gap Rd and GA 60. We plan on making a stop at the Biker Barn along the way to pick up some I rode the Gauntlet T shirts. Come join us.

Jerry

Hawk
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
I can't on Sat. I have to go to my nephew's Graduation party.

Cavman
05-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm attending the Spyder Riders of America event in Steele, AL on Saturday. Sorry.

Hawk
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Anyone else wanna meet up? Anyone know where we should meet to eat? Like I said, you can just meet up for lunch if you wish, no need to do the entire ride or ride with others if you wish.

Edit: Bike is all fixed up for the weekend. Have to take it back next week to replace a hot grip, but its ready for the ride. New tire installed, air bag working. Time to break that tire in!!!!

Hawk
05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Okay, I made a map. This is starting from 75 Alt and going counter-clockwise:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=207794897069291143296.0004dd82f0e8bdd2acd65

Still looking for a suggestion for a stop for lunch.

TuckMiddle
05-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Looking to do the Gauntlet on Monday. The only thing that may keep me from doing it is my Spyder still being in the shop. I should know by Friday. Caveman has expressed interest. Anyone else want to come? We don't have to ride it as a "group". We could just find a place to meet for lunch and each person can run it how they want. I plan on entering on 75 Alt outside of Cleveland, going Northeast. I may get off and go to Brasstown Bald and then continue on. I think the Copperhead Lodge has a restaurant Maybe we can meet there around 1. Anyone else want to meet there or suggest another place?

Hawk (Mike)

Mike,
What a great idea. What time are you starting?
My wife is having a neck operation on Thurs, so if she is ok with it, I can leave Waleska most anytime to meet up with you anyplace. The lodge is a pretty good place to meet, but if you're leaving Cleveland area, I'd like to plan to meet you there.

I'm on my way in a few minutes to meet with the Cartersville HOGS and zoom over to AL for the day.

Thanks for posting and be sure to let me know where and when to meet and start this. Hopefully some others will hop on this also.

Best to ya

Tuck :cheers:

EllijaySpyder
05-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Melody and I are leaving now to meet JKMSPYDER from Murphy NC and CJACKG from Chatanooga. We are hooking up at the Biker Barn and then riding "The Gauntlet".
We will check out places for lunch and report back. I may want to go on the Monday ride also.

Jerry

cjackg
05-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Great ryding, great company, great weather !

68677 68678 68679

CJACKG ELLIJAYSPYDER JKMSPYDER

TuckMiddle
05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Okay, I made a map. This is starting from 75 Alt and going counter-clockwise:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=207794897069291143296.0004dd82f0e8bdd2acd65

Still looking for a suggestion for a stop for lunch.

Mike, you have any decisions ref this. I'm 90% sure I can di it Mon, or tomorrow, for that matter.
Sounds good. When and where and I'll get approval from my Truant Officer. Went over to Guntersville, AL Lake today, 260 round trip, but place is still very nice. Had 24 or so bikes and even saw 3 Spyders coming from the west somewhere around Center, AL
Tuck

Hawk
05-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Mike, you have any decisions ref this. I'm 90% sure I can di it Mon, or tomorrow, for that matter.
Sounds good. When and where and I'll get approval from my Truant Officer. Went over to Guntersville, AL Lake today, 260 round trip, but place is still very nice. Had 24 or so bikes and even saw 3 Spyders coming from the west somewhere around Center, AL
Tuck

I am not 100% sure what time I am leaving yet. I was hoping to find a place to eat and then plan on being there around 12 or 1. So if it was halfway, I was planning on starting around 10 from Cleveland. I think Cracker and Darcie are coming too.

cjackg,

Did you scope out some eats? How long was the trip, difficulty, etc. More details. I will try to finalize what time I am going to be in Cleveland by early evening (by 6pm hopefully) tomorrow. Hope to see ya there.

Mike

EllijaySpyder
05-26-2013, 07:37 AM
I am not 100% sure what time I am leaving yet. I was hoping to find a place to eat and then plan on being there around 12 or 1. So if it was halfway, I was planning on starting around 10 from Cleveland. I think Cracker and Darcie are coming too.

cjackg,

Did you scope out some eats? How long was the trip, difficulty, etc. More details. I will try to finalize what time I am going to be in Cleveland by early evening (by 6pm hopefully) tomorrow. Hope to see ya there.

Mike

Melody and I met JKMSPYDER from Murphy NC at GA 60 and Skeena Gap rd and went up to the Biker Barn where we met up with CJACKG from Chatanooga. We signed the wall, bought T shirts and then rode the "The Gauntlet". It is not hard, sections with lots of twisties and great views. We stopped for lunch at a very good Mexican restaraunt named El Cancun on 76 1 1/2 miles east of 288. That was the 1/2 point or us. Probably saw 500 cycles during the day. Trip overall with stops was 8 hrs. Actual saddle time was about 4 hours. Getting there and back our total miles was 185. GREAT DAY.:yes:

Jerry & Melody

TuckMiddle
05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

cjackg,

Mike

My Truant Officer said I could go, so give the word and I'll work it out.
Tuck

Hawk
05-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Okay, sorry for the late post. The mexican resturaunt that cjackg, looks to be a good stopping place, not quite halfway, but lets try to meet there at 12 (El Cancun 3360 Highway 76 Hiawassee, GA 30546 (http://www.urbanspoon.com/zip/149/30546/Georgia-restaurants.html)). For those that want to ride out of Cleveland, lets plan to LEAVE the McDonalds on 129 in Cleveland at 10:30 am.

If you miss us at the McD's, just meet us at the restaurant.

TuckMiddle
05-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Okay, sorry for the late post. The mexican resturaunt that cjackg, looks to be a good stopping place, not quite halfway, but lets try to meet there at 12 (El Cancun 3360 Highway 76 Hiawassee, GA 30546 (http://www.urbanspoon.com/zip/149/30546/Georgia-restaurants.html)). For those that want to ride out of Cleveland, lets plan to LEAVE the McDonalds on 129 in Cleveland at 10:30 am.

If you miss us at the McD's, just meet us at the restaurant.

See ya at Micky Ds. I'll be there before 10:30

Tuck

Hawk
05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
K, I am swinging by Cracker's in the morn and we will head up that way. Hopefully we will be there before then too.

cjackg
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Okay, sorry for the late post. The mexican resturaunt that cjackg, looks to be a good stopping place, not quite halfway, but lets try to meet there at 12 (El Cancun 3360 Highway 76 Hiawassee, GA 30546 (http://www.urbanspoon.com/zip/149/30546/Georgia-restaurants.html)). For those that want to ride out of Cleveland, lets plan to LEAVE the McDonalds on 129 in Cleveland at 10:30 am. If you miss us at the McD's, just meet us at the restaurant.

That is a seriously good Mexican restaurant.... another interesting looking spot for a stop is the Cafe at Turner's Corner where Hwy 19 intersects US 129 above Dahlonega. Have fun !

Cavman
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm looking at meeting y'all at MickyD's but I'm thinking it will take me two or more hours to get there from West Cobb County.

TuckMiddle the Spyders you saw were probably from the event I went to on Saturday near Steele, AL?

TuckMiddle
05-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Great job Hawk. Not sure how you read that tiny print on the map they had on the web, but it all worked. 275 miles today, including the ride to/from Cleveland to start with the group.

Lets see, we could be called "The Five Spyders" "The black and blue and red Spyders from hell" or maybe just "The Five that Dared". Maybe Robert Ludlum would write a book, well maybe not.

Anyway thanks to all, had a good day.:cheers:

Tuck

Cavman
05-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Had a great time on the ride. Wolf Pen Gap Road GA180 was the best twisties of the day. It wore me out. Driveway to driveway it was 321 miles for me.

Now if we can get some more of the GA Spyders Ryder's on the road for a bigger turn out, that would be great!

Hawk
05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Glad everyone had a good time, I know I did. Next time I will know where Gumlog Road is, and also not try to go to the lake!!!! Heat kinda got to me, I don't know what I am going to do come full summer!!!! Maybe next time Tammy will be there to keep my speed in check!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Cavman
05-28-2013, 07:32 AM
One of my pet peeves is that motorcycle clothing manufactures don't make light colored clothing options for men. We need mesh protective gear to keep cooler in the Summer months.
I'm looking for a leather vest that is light grey in color for my patches. The black one I have is too hot to wear.

I was having heat problems too by the time I got home. That banana shake did cool me down a bit and was quite yummy!

I guess it's time to get the cooling vest out as Summer is here.

Hawk
05-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Thinking of getting this one:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Street/Motorcycle-Jackets/Textile/brand/BILT/Techno-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket/p/43811_59524_110877