PDA

View Full Version : 1st long trip going from NY to Washington for Rolling Thunder

Yelhelp
05-23-2013, 05:55 AM
:clap:This is going to be my first long trip sort of because its there and back home. Lots of all day trips all over New York , Pa, and Texas. But I have it all mapped out from Google maps just not sure how to get the same thing put into my Garmin. So I guess it will be the Cave man way , with stops to check progress when ever needed and at gas stop's . Looking forward to this, Only short on and off the interstates, mostly two lane roads all the way .:yes::yes::yes::clap:just me and the spyder Murryfee Brown way :spyder2::2thumbs:

lookerjdc
05-23-2013, 06:00 AM
have a safe trip and enjoy the Ride in DC

what type of Garmin do you have? you should be able to just punch in the location address

shrubs
05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Enjoy the trip and ride safely!

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 06:55 AM
It should be a pretty-easy hop for you:
81 South until you start seeing the signs for Baltimore and D.C. :thumbup:
Have a safe and fun trip!

ARtraveler
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Drive safe and enjoy the trip. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Envious here!

Are you taking the Northern route?

Have a great time and keep us posted. :yes:

Yelhelp
05-24-2013, 05:48 AM
It should be a pretty-easy hop for you:
81 South until you start seeing the signs for Baltimore and D.C. :thumbup:
Have a safe and fun trip!

Staying off the interstates going to DC south from Binghamton to Motrose Pa Rt 29S,to42 to44,54,to11,to 34 to15 to 294 to 663. all secondary roads about 3 hours longer but no interstates . I want to see the real world, maybe 81 home if it's late leaving Washington. I'm ready to ride if only I can sleep tonight . :clap::clap::clap::clap::ohyea::ohyea::yes::yes:

GloryRyders
05-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Enjoy the trip............went last year for the 25th anniversary of the Wall and meet up with 900,000 of our closest friends!:yes: At least that was the estimate by the D.C. police!:dontknow:

Highwayman2013
05-24-2013, 06:37 AM
You picked some great roads through PA. Have a great trip.

DRTSB
05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
:clap:This is going to be my first long trip sort of because its there and back home. Lots of all day trips all over New York , Pa, and Texas. But I have it all mapped out from Google maps just not sure how to get the same thing put into my Garmin. So I guess it will be the Cave man way , with stops to check progress when ever needed and at gas stop's . Looking forward to this, Only short on and off the interstates, mostly two lane roads all the way .:yes::yes::yes::clap:just me and the spyder Murryfee Brown way :spyder2::2thumbs:

Here you go

1) Create your Google Maps, car or walking work fine.
2) Add the GMapToGPX to your favorites icon bar, http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/
3) Click the GMapToGPX favorite and select FULL, copy all the text output and save in a file as YourFile.GPX
4) Go to www.GPSies.com (http://www.gpsies.com/), Track Creator, import a file and load YourFile.GPX, (you will have to register with this site.)
5) Once loaded click the Refresh Elevation button
6) Now export it as a GPX Route, take note of the location of the file.
7) Connect your GPS to your computer via USB8) Navigate to the 'Garmin/GPX/' memory folder and copy the file to the GPS
9) Turn on your device and press menu. Navigate to Where To -> Saved Rides.
10) Select the track from the list and choose "Navigate."
11) Viola, you now have a route that you created in Google Maps.

Dave ;)