PDA

View Full Version : anyone considered modifying thier stock Can?

Ryno
06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I will be chocking my stock Exhaust can up today and drilling out the CAT on the inside. I will be drilling as many .75 inch holes in it as I possibly can.

Ill report on what it does, Worst case scenario, micron here I come!!!

Ill be powder coating it black also.. Just thought I would chime in on that.

Danimal
06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
One word: HINDLE !

docdoru
06-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Second: Hindle

Lamonster
06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Third word: MICRON ;D

yAUdFa1ayC4

Ryno
06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Second: Hindle

lol.... about 2 hours worth of work. (I have not Powder coated it yet) I wanted to test it out first.

heres what I did.

Cut with a sawz-all in front of the heat shield mounting brackets. (on the 90) - 2 minutes

Used a 24 inch drill bit to drill 6 holes through the cat converter into primary baffle area. ( 10 minutes)

Used a hammerdrill with punch attachment to break cat converter completely out. (2 minutes)

used stretched needlenose pliers to remove chunks of cat converter from inside the can (30 minutes)

realigned the 90 with the can and welded back together, ground, etc... nice and clean.

glass bead blasted the entire can prepped for Powdercoating.

spyder running suprisingly cooler now. Minor gain in sound.

Major gain in airflow... Im going to track the MPG and followup then..

Oh yeah, Diddent cost me anything but 2 hours worth of work.

Hindle is like 400 bucks isent it?

Ryno
06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
The micron sounds great.. Its a huge hit with the masses. Almost too popular for me Lamonster. Oh yeah Thanks for the cut-away photos you made for the site here.. They helped me on my project with the stock can.

Danimal
06-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Without pics or video to hear it..... hard to judge your project.

Glad it worked good for you.

Also.... the Micron sounds really nice.....

I just prefer the look of the Hindle..... it looks like it belongs there. I like to keep things looking stock.

Ryno
06-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I will have to get the kids over here to do the you-tube thing. I did not do photos while I did the mod like a moron! However, Ill be at Spyders in the Smokies!

majinbusa
06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I did that on my other Bike just to get a better sound and don't want to spend any money on a new exhaust. it was nice and loud but i got a ticket and i ended up spending more money buying a new OEM exhaust.So for the Spyder I got me the Micron from no-Magic and kept the stock one in the Garage just in case i get pulled over again i can just re-install the original exhaust.

Ryno
06-02-2008, 07:25 AM
It is fractionally louder than it was with the cat. No where near as loud as the micron (I would have to hear them side by side) I have 2 stock exhaust pipes. so I have one that I am modding, one that will remain factory.