PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limit in Reverse?

rc51ny
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
So about the only time I've ever used reverse on my 2012 RT (SM5) is to back it out of the garage. The other day however, I had to back it up an incline at a service station. The engine started to "gallop" as I was slipping the clutch and I had a very hard time backing up. It got me wondering if there is a limiter that restricts the speed and/or RPM limit in reverse. I know my Honda ATV has such a feature. Anyone know? thanks

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Yup! And you probably backed right into it! :shocked: :roflblack:
I don't know the details about it; what sort of rpm or speed levels get it angry; but it is in there!

boborgera
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Yep, There's a limiter it keeps you out of trouble...., My Polars ATV has one on revise, It also has a yellow override button.
Press it when your heavy on the throttle and you'll end up in the woods....

BikerDoc
05-22-2013, 03:28 PM
I have backed up some steep inclines at a pretty rapid pace without experiencing any problems. maybe could be clutch slipping....??

NancysToy
05-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes, the rev limiter kicks in at a very low rpm in reverse...and the traction control kills the engine if you spin the wheel in reverse.

rc51ny
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Yea--thanks for the info. I never experienced the engine "galloping" like it did. Not sure what to call it--best word I can think of. I guess maybe as I was trying to back up the incline, I rolled on the throttle a little too much which I was in the friction zone of the clutch. I'll have to try it again, just rolling on a little less.

SPYD1
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Good to know.

Chupaca
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
It's a scary way to find out..but now you know..I wonder if they are all set at the same level. I back up quite often and never run into the problem...go forward....:roflblack:

bruiser
05-22-2013, 06:51 PM
I would say they are all pretty much the same. It just depends on how much throttle you give it. I can get the limiter to kick in on level ground.

jerpinoy
05-22-2013, 07:23 PM
One time I burned my rear tire too much throttle and never happened again. It's a learning process.:yes:

JJRider
05-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds like this is common with the RT's. The fact that our 2012 RT-S couldn't make it up our slight (dry) incline in the driveway in reverse is an issue with the bike. Our 2011 RS had no issues with the same driveway.. Seems like this needs to be addressed by BRP. After reading the various reports and comments, it seems like most agree with the following:

The RT has difficulty in reverse with either a poor surface or an incline.
A number of riders experience this which would indicate it is not a rare instance
Some suggest having BRP look at this but others say it is just the rev limiter kicking in.
If is is just the "nanny" kicking in, why did our RS work fine going uphill in reverse? Maybe all the extra weight of the RT?

I practiced backing our trailer up with the RT on level ground and did ok backing-up. I guess I won't even think about backing it up on an incline with the trailer.

I will have the dealer check out our unit and the reverse but it sounds like this is common.

Rotaxer
05-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I had a Can Am Quad and it had a limiter, but also had a disable button that had to be depressed. Spyder might have the limiter too.

5-0 spyder
05-22-2013, 10:39 PM
I have a 2012 RT-S and have had the same problem on a couple of occasions. I was trying to back out of my garage up a slight incline and stalled a couple of times as it seemed the engine bogged down. I wasn't able to open the throttle up to give it any more gas to get it going more than a crawl. I mentioned it to the mechanic when I brought it in for the 600 mile check and was told that BRP put a rev limiter in there to keep people out of trouble in reverse. I didn't have the same problem on level ground. It Just seemed that the more of a load that was put on the engine with the incline the more the rev limiter kicked in. I also had to back down a small alley that I was parked in because some one blocked my exit and I didn't have any issues with that. I have found it easier to roll backwards down the driveway and then into the driveway than to try to back up the driveway.

2Paw
05-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I back my 2012 RTS into my garage everyday up an incline. sometimes at a pretty good clip, and never had anything happen like you guys describe. I've even spun the rear wheel a couple of times and the engine has never died. Am I just lucky or do I have a special machine that BRP left some things off of or were some changes made you aren't aware of:yikes:?

rc51ny
05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
I have a 2012 RT-S and have had the same problem on a couple of occasions. I was trying to back out of my garage up a slight incline and stalled a couple of times as it seemed the engine bogged down. I wasn't able to open the throttle up to give it any more gas to get it going more than a crawl.

that's pretty much the same thing that happened to me--except--instead of the engine stalling, it started to "gallop"--you know--the RPM's rising, lowering, rising, lowering, etc, etc.
Oh the level ground no problem-just seems like where there is a bit of a load on it-and you need to feed in more throttle, then it happens. If it's happened to others, then I'm not gonna worry about it. I'll just make sure I park so I don't have to back up a hill.

NancysToy
05-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Just thinking out loud here, but I am wondering if one of the updates along the way has changed Miss Nanny's response while in reverse. In other words, where the engine used to shut off when the rear tire slipped, it now is more forgiving. Also, could the rpm limiting response also be triggered by throttle position, as well as rpm, and do more recently updated Spyders respond differently? I have no anwers, nor am I saying this is the case, but it could explain the variations.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
:agree: How hard the throttle is being twisted might be affecting what her response is... :shocked:

Oldmanzues
05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I backed up some steep inclines whith my 2010 RT when nearly new with no problems. I have not tried lately. I hope a "update" that is PC has not changed that. Being able to back up a incline is one more advantage on the Spyder. On some PGR mission, I have been able to back up without a problem, while the Tri-Glide and or Wing trikes have to be pushed back. On Missions, you may not have the luxuary of parking where you want to. Many three wheelers ride here in Ohio. Oldmanzues

lyonsden
05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
I have a steep driveway too and I've backed my 2011 RT SE5 up it lots of times into the garage with no issues at all. Hope I never do.:dontknow:

JJRider
05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
I think maybe Scotty may have hit on something. Our 2012 RT-S was just serviced (600 mile) and it was after the service that I noticed the reverse issue.

Bob Ledford
05-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Yup! And you probably backed right into it! :shocked: :roflblack:
I don't know the details about it; what sort of rpm or speed levels get it angry; but it is in there!

I have a big wide long driveway not far from the house I will find out this weekend and let you know!