PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Riser?

gwilburn
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
While I've only driven my 2013 RT for about 170 miles, I feel like I need the bars raised 1-2 inches. I see the new adjustable bars in the BRP catalog, but I was hoping for a more "cost effective" solution involving a simple riser block. Does the aftermarket have a solution?

ARCTIC
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't think they make anything for a RT. One thing I've noticed immediately is how damn expensive accessories are for these damn things.

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Nope; it's BRP's "Adjust-a-Bars", or nothing... :shocked:

ARtraveler
05-22-2013, 03:07 PM
What Bob said.

asp125
05-22-2013, 03:10 PM
My guess is too new for the aftermarket to have developed anything yet.

ARtraveler
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
My guess is too new for the aftermarket to have developed anything yet.

The RT has been around since 2010--but--the seating position is so much different from the RS/GS that in most cases I am guessing that a riser was not needed.

I had a GS and a RS and installed 3" risers on both. These were a dealer made option at the time. There are now aftermarket versions available for the RS/GS.

Recently, BRP came out with the adjust-a-bars this year in order to offer some additional adjustment on the RT. The catalog states for 2013 and previous RT's. Cost is $800. I do not feel the need for this option on either of my RT's. I am guessing that this particular item may not even hit the aftermarket.

gwilburn
05-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't think they make anything for a RT. One thing I've noticed immediately is how damn expensive accessories are for these damn things.

I was thinking the same thing (one of the reasons I don't ride ski-doo)... $1000 for foot boards? $800 for handlebars? I did pay $500 for the comfort seat, but thought that was quite a lot.:barf:

I'm thinking anyone with a CNC machine could make a nice 2" riser. I'm guessing they haven't done this because the hand position might interfere with mirror visibility. I feel like i'm slouched over when riding. Maybe I'll get used to it.

gwilburn
05-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Nope; it's BRP's "Adjust-a-Bars", or nothing... :shocked:

They can keep 'em.... along with the driver foot boards... The margin on those things has got to be 10x the cost.

asp125
05-22-2013, 04:24 PM
BRP is following the Harley farkle business model. :banghead:

ARCTIC
05-22-2013, 05:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing (one of the reasons I don't ride ski-doo)... $1000 for foot boards? $800 for handlebars? I did pay $500 for the comfort seat, but thought that was quite a lot.:barf:

I'm thinking anyone with a CNC machine could make a nice 2" riser. I'm guessing they haven't done this because the hand position might interfere with mirror visibility. I feel like i'm slouched over when riding. Maybe I'll get used to it.

You can get a handlebar riser for sled for $40 all day long. Ole's Machine shop would have a hay day charging $250!!!! I'd like to get the helibar risers for my spyder but they're $370 and I want footboards but I'm patiently waiting for something used to show up $350 is about the best that you can do on those for my machine. :gaah: BUT... The used stuff doesn't show up very often. Seems the demographics of most owners is that they pay a dealer to install everything and then they sell the spyder loaded down with the goodies and lose most of that cash that they spent. My spyder came with a Corbin seat with backrests, highway pegs and a Hindle slip-on exhaust or I'd probably never buy any of them because of the CRAZY prices.... The dealer never got any extra cash for all the stuff on the bike when I bought it because I paid less for this than any other spyder I could find!

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
How about lowering your seating position? There's got to be a more cost-effective way to do that!

gwilburn
05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
How about lowering your seating position? There's got to be a more cost-effective way to do that!

I had the dealer install the comfort seat before it left the building... I would think the opposite... much easer (with all my other toys) to raise the bars than lower the seat. My experience is that they build most toys for men 5'8"-5'10". So guys like me typically have to modify to be comfortable. On my snowmobile I raised the seat and the bars 3" and now it's perfect. The seat was less than $300 and the riser was $60.

NancysToy
05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Handlebar risers have been an extremely challenging proposition for the RT. Although a couple of aftermarket companies have tried to develop workable prototypes, they were never successful. I'm afraid that things aren't always as simple as they seem.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
:agree: Conventional thinking doesn't always track straight with these beauties... :opps: