PDA

View Full Version : random thoughts

Laila's Dad
05-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Hello all,

I hope that today was the best Tuesday you have ever had. However, if it was the worst Tuesday, then the good news is that Wednesday will definitely be a better day...as I was driving into work today(took the truck since rain and possible thunderstorms were expected) I look in my rearview mirror and I see a guy on a sportsbike(nice one too) that was swaying his bike left to right. Then he takes off across 3 lanes of traffic to the right then 3 lanes back just to get in front of one car:shocked:. After I giggled a little the thought came to my mind why some motorcycle riders hate it when a spyder is referred to as a motorcycle and why some spyder riders hate it when their can am roadster is referred to as a motorcycle. Below are the groups that I came up with...enjoy :p

1) Motorcycle drivers have a kindred because a motorcyclist can make maneuvers that no other vehicle can make. Whether or not the move is a smart or safe one can be debated but it still remains that they have options unknown to others. So to the motorcyclist that gets off on the adrenaline of high speeds and quick maneuvers then they might think "why would anyone want anything but a bike like mine?" because to them everything but the motorcycle is basically a car so what is the point.

2) While the spyder is an open road vehicle, the risk factor is lowered some because of the safety features and of course the third wheel. I imagine there are a group of motorcyclists who feel that the added danger of being on just two wheels makes them an elite club because they make a choice to ride a "beast" that is never truly tamed and at anytime could get away from you or be missed by another vehicle. Although you may be on your spyder and not thinking anything about what option is better, that motorcyclist might see it as a short cut or an easy way to get the feel that they have. They may think we have not earned our "stripes" so we should not be on the open road.

3) You also have a group who might not have a problem with any vehicle but because a lot of their buddies say they wouldn't touch a spyder then they just stand in line and go with the flow to avoid any friction with the clique. It takes guts to see everyone standing in a long line and to walk past them all to ask the other cashier can they ring you up. Some folks would rather just stay where they are than to have everyone looking at them "sideways".

4) You have the group who loves their particular motorcycle, motorcycle brand, or anything on two wheels and have no thought of what someone else should be riding as long as they are enjoying themselves. For me I have met way more than the majority of folks who fall in this group. I am always waving back to someone on a motorcycle. Some who might not even acknowledge me in a normal setting but the open road allows them to give me a pass.

5) You have some spyder riders who rode motorcycles for years or still do and just enjoy the open air so it matters not whether it is 2 wheels or 3, they just want to ride. These folks have either rode enough or lived long enough to know that the joy of the ride is the thing that counts not what vehicle you used to get there.

6) Some spyder riders have only rode a spyder and like the motorcyclist, they feel like an elite club. Maybe it is because of the added cost of a spyder over your average motorcycle or because the spyder is new age and they feel like they are ahead of the times with the technology put into the spyder.

7) some spyder riders had to switch from a motorcycle to a spyder due to health or mobility issues and probably still love the motorcycle a lot but realize it is not an option for them so we may never know if they would choose a spyder if they had another option.

8) Some spyder riders see a motorcycle as a greater risk than they are willing to take. There is a danger for the spyder as well as the motorcycle but since there are few less things to consider with the spyder then they go the safest route. For example, my wife would never have approved a motorcycle but the spyder was at least something that she would consider(I bought it before she actually said yes, shhhhhhh,,,)

9) some spyder riders actually just like the spyder as a better option for them, the same way that some folks have no problem with a spyder but just prefer the motorcycle. It has nothing to do with health or even safety but they just like what they chose for their own reasons.

10) Then there is a group of people who may fall a little in many of the above categories but are not 100% in either. Like me, some days I see the guy on a chopper or a sportsbike and think "how cool" and other days I think to myself "the spyder is the new thing, y'all better get on board". However on most days I don't think about anything other than the song playing through my Sena headset and can anyone hear me singing. Getting your motor running and heading out on the highway while looking for adventure is so much more than a brand. It is a call to be free from the "box" that is our everyday life.

I hope that you have enjoyed these thoughts...Stay thirsty my friends. ;)

Chupaca
05-21-2013, 11:06 PM
great observations...thanks for that..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I need more coffee in order to process all of it :coffee:; but I DO like it! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
05-22-2013, 07:44 AM
"Motorcycle" covers a lot of ground. A motorcycle could have either two or three wheels. Some have actually been built with one wheel. Just like it's non-powered brethren, there are many versions. The term "motorcycle" may be best explained by its definitions in the laws of most states..."less than four wheels." Categorizing it beyond that is for the purists, haters, enthusiasts, sanctioning bodies, and all the other groups that want to separate their variety of motorcycle from the rest.

I personally have earned the right to ride whatever I darned well please. I could care less what people may think. I ride two wheels, three, or four...depending on my desires. I respect everyone who chooses to ride, even if it is an electric moped. It is my hope that someday everyone else will feel the same. Until then, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Now see what you have done by opening up the Pandora's Box of random thoughts. :D

CyncySpyder
05-22-2013, 08:56 AM
They are so well thought out and organized:bowdown: you wanna see random, you should scrounge around in my nog'n for a minute or two (Squirell) and then you'll really see what random looks like (Charlie Sheen) but I kist a girl and I liked it and I just wish for one day to have random thoughts as organized as yours :pray: But yeah, what he said, good thread :thumbup:

bruiser
05-22-2013, 10:57 AM
I like what you wrote. I do agree with Scotty in that I too have earned the right to ride what I want. I have nothing against any other make/model. Enjoying the ride is what it's all about. However, there is this bike called F6B...

2Paw
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Most people spend to much time worrying about what other people think about them, when in fact other people aren't thinking about you at all. They are wondering what you think about them, which means that everybody is too worried about themselves to worry about each other. That all made sense to me when I was thinking it, not so sure when I read it back.

Jeriatric
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
If I may?
Riding anything that requires a helmet works for me......then, NO one knows how old I really am........perhaps my KTM plate should have been NMATURE instead of CRBND8D.

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Random thoughts... :shocked:
No; I'm not gonna start! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
05-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I like what you wrote. I do agree with Scotty in that I too have earned the right to ride what I want. I have nothing against any other make/model. Enjoying the ride is what it's all about. However, there is this bike called F6B...

Be very very careful Brusier. If you sit on the F6B you will be hooked. Been there. Only my back saved (prevented) me from making the purchase. :roflblack:

Great thoughts above. We have a philosopher on our site. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Jeriatric
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
The F6 looks very very cool triked too.

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Yes; it certainly does! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Mentioned in a previous thread---but...

I also thought about the trike. Triking cost is an additional $9000 or so (making the total cost similar to a loaded :spyder2:)--for the version shown. Triking voids the Honda warranty and most dealers will not work on a triked version. Ask me how I know? :roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
05-23-2013, 05:04 AM
Well said! If a Motorcycle is a two when'll bike with a motor should a Spyder be called a Motortricycle? Also I remember someone in Seattle had made a motorized unicycle. Since that, in my opinion would be even more macho to ride does that make two wheel riders effeminate?

dave01
05-23-2013, 05:36 AM

If these had come out a month sooner..............

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 06:50 AM
If these had come out a month sooner..............

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 06:58 AM

That, has Roger written all over it.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's got a solar-powered one under construction out behind the Alpaca Barn... ;)