PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to order a new seat and am leaning towards the Ultimate...

GMac
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
...but I have a question for those that already have them.

I'm looking at the tan ostrich-skin-look one (my RT is lava bronze and I've seen the pictures with it on and love the look) but this is my question: their website says that it is not leather (some kind of vinyl I assume?) and that it's not waterproof.

Has anyone had any issues with this (either it not being leather and possibly not wearing as well OR issues with it not being waterproof)?

If I get the seat with everything I'd like, it's around $1500 and that's a lot if there are problems down the road (and I'm not suggesting there are, simply asking before pulling the trigger on the deal). I've thought about the Corbin as well and could be convinced to go that direction, but as I said, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate (I sat on a Corbin recently and liked it but it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be - although that could easily have been because the backrest wasn't adjusted for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Gary

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Leather breathes, vinyl doesn't. Meaning one is much hotter to set in/on than the other. Choices! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
...but neither are waterproof... :dontknow:
I threw my butt up onto the Ultimate at SpyderFest out in the heat and sun of the day; there didn't appear to be any issue with the heat. :thumbup:

spydaman60
05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
we've had the ultimate for a year now and just love it. I too was concerned about the non leather product, but am very pleased with the seat. I have ridden it in the rain, (with and without ) the rain cover. never an issue. kinda wished I had gotten the back rest, but what can I say-- I screwed up! the seat is just like they say. I had mine customized to get the wife up a little higher, and not have her sliding into me like the stock seat. she loves it. i'm 5' 10" and have the mid rider!:thumbup:

Mad Mike
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
I chose the Ultimate because it wasn't leather but Marine Grade Vinyl. The only thing Ultimate warns against is water getting in the seams (stitching). Had mine put on at SF and rode home 6 hours in the rain. Had the cover on the seat part and backrest but not the passenger backrest. They said water would not stand on it so it wasn't really an issue to not cover it. Except for sun which will fade all seats over time..Main thing is, my Rear is glad I bought it!!! My Wife Loves It!!

R30SHIRE
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
I purchased the 2 tone brown seat From ultimate. We also have the Lava bronze RT.
Easy to install and I absolutely love it. It was around 1500 but well worth it. Sure makes the Rt classy looking, not that it wasn't already.

vrodrjs
05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I purchased the 2 tone brown seat From ultimate. We also have the Lava bronze RT.
Easy to install and I absolutely love it. It was around 1500 but well worth it. Sure makes the Rt classy looking, not that it wasn't already.

Mine is supposed to be here on Thursday. AFter riding the stock seat for 2000 miles last week in about 5 days, I can't wait for mine to get here. I saw the seat at SF but it was already sold. Then I saw it after they installed it, ordered mine 5 minutes later.

GMac
05-22-2013, 12:37 PM

I'm looking at the tan ostrich-skin-look one (my RT is lava bronze and I've seen the pictures with it on and love the look) but this is my question: their website says that it is not leather (some kind of vinyl I assume?) and that it's not waterproof.

Has anyone had any issues with this (either it not being leather and possibly not wearing as well OR issues with it not being waterproof)?

If I get the seat with everything I'd like, it's around $1500 and that's a lot if there are problems down the road (and I'm not suggesting there are, simply asking before pulling the trigger on the deal). I've thought about the Corbin as well and could be convinced to go that direction, but as I said, I'm leaning towards the Ultimate (I sat on a Corbin recently and liked it but it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be - although that could easily have been because the backrest wasn't adjusted for me).

Gary

Based on what everyone said, I just placed my order and will be riding up to Lake George sometime the first week in June to Americade to have it installed.

Thank you everyone!
Gary

Sarge707
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
we've had the ultimate for a year now and just love it. I too was concerned about the non leather product, but am very pleased with the seat. I have ridden it in the rain, (with and without ) the rain cover. never an issue. kinda wished I had gotten the back rest, but what can I say-- I screwed up! the seat is just like they say. I had mine customized to get the wife up a little higher, and not have her sliding into me like the stock seat. she loves it. i'm 5' 10" and have the mid rider!:thumbup:
You can purchase the BackRest at any time (I think) because the mount is already built into the seat and the shipping wouldn,t be that much on a backrest. I might do this during the New Years sale this year?

the nip
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
35 years of riding I'v had many different seats, Ultimate makes my butt the happiest.

The Nip

prmurat
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Any stock brown seat for sale??

GMac
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Any stock brown seat for sale??

I got my Spyder in March and it was the last 2012 in the area (they went up to NH to get it) - and beggars can't be choosers so I took the black seat (I got about $4000 off so I'm not complaining). I love the look of the brown seat though and since I wanted a backrest I decided I should go ahead and go for it and get the brown (tan) seat as well.

If I had the brown one I'd be happy to sell it to you - best of luck to you though in finding one!

Thanks,
Gary

prmurat
05-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Thks Gary... I have a Grey 2011 RT and I'd love to have a brown seat... I think brown leather/plastic looks better than black!!

Huntindawg1962
05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
68600I have that same seat you are talking about - BIG improvement from stock and does not ride "hot". Also shown with Spyderwraps Honey Burl dash kit.

GMac
05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
68600I have that same seat you are talking about - BIG improvement from stock and does not ride "hot". Also shown with Spyderwraps Honey Burl dash kit.

...if not, it was certainly similar and I loved the combo so much I also just ordered the same dash wrap you mentioned as well. I absolutely LOVE the way it looks and can't wait to get mine looking the same way.

Thanks!
Gary

Old Wolf
05-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Love my Ultimate seat & wife loves it even more she never wants to get off. I have the Saddle Ostrich, there is a difference between the Saddle Ostrich & the Wheat Ostrich.

GMac
05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Love my Ultimate seat & wife loves it even more she never wants to get off. I have the Saddle Ostrich, there is a difference between the Saddle Ostrich & the Wheat Ostrich.

I ordered over the phone and told her that I wanted the one that was in the picture on their website. It looks like the same one in your picture but I didn't realize there were two different ones. Yours looks like the one on their website so I believe I have the same thing as you - and I love the way you have yours setup - I'm jealous!!

Old Wolf
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
I ordered over the phone and told her that I wanted the one that was in the picture on their website. It looks like the same one in your picture but I didn't realize there were two different ones. Yours looks like the one on their website so I believe I have the same thing as you - and I love the way you have yours setup - I'm jealous!!

The have both on there web site, but only one has the Lava insert.

GMac
05-24-2013, 12:08 PM
The have both on there web site, but only one has the Lava insert.

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/rides/ToddCuter.html

...it's the "Saddle" Ostrich with "Java" Ostrich Inlays and two of the Spyder logos (this description is from their website under the "Custom Options" page).

Huntindawg1962
05-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Ya - thats it. I knew it had something "coffee" related but I kept coming up with Espresso instead of Java.... oops.

Huntindawg1962
05-24-2013, 04:53 PM
...if not, it was certainly similar and I loved the combo so much I also just ordered the same dash wrap you mentioned as well. I absolutely LOVE the way it looks and can't wait to get mine looking the same way.

Thanks!
Gary

It looks good on the pic but it is very "rich" looking in person. My wife gets tons of compliments when she pulls up on it (and I don't even get noticed with the carbon fiber dash on mine).

BikerDoc
05-24-2013, 04:55 PM
...but neither are waterproof... :dontknow:
I threw my butt up onto the Ultimate at SpyderFest out in the heat and sun of the day; there didn't appear to be any issue with the heat. :thumbup:
Sorry but the highest temperature recorded during Spyderfest this year could hardly be called heat!!

Ga Blue Knight
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I bought a slightly used Brown Limited seat for my Quantum Blue RT-S and it looks great and is lots cooler than the original black seat. It also turned out to be more comfortable for some reason!

Motorcycledave
05-25-2013, 04:52 PM
I have upholstered many seats with that type of vinyl even my GoldWing it is in the
motorcycle photos section.
The vinyl works great it's strong yet soft to sit on and looks great
Good luck with yours should you want a quote to do yours just call me
Ride Safe
Dave:thumbup:

TexasSpyder
05-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I have upholstered many seats with that type of vinyl even my GoldWing it is in the
motorcycle photos section.
The vinyl works great it's strong yet soft to sit on and looks great
Good luck with yours should you want a quote to do yours just call me
Ride Safe
Dave:thumbup:

Hey Dave do you do anything like the Lamonster cut to the Comfort seat? If so $? I seem to be getting pressure on my hip bones or the top joint of the femur on both sides. Anything you can offer in this area?

cycledude
05-25-2013, 09:25 PM

Gary

I bought it new in myrtle beach bike week from ultimate I love the seat but I am 6 ft tall and long legged it fits my wife but to tight of leg room for me it is black with tan trim very bueatiful seat also has drivers back rest hasent been ridden but to house in va he didn't have the big boy then don't know if it would have helped but here is some pics I have a little over 900.00 dollars it the seat its brand new I will take 750 plus shipping if any body is interested. chester

cycledude
05-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Gary

i have this ultimate for sale its brand new ridden 2 times i am 6 ft long legged not enough leg room if anyone is interested I will take 750 for it with the drivers backrest I paid over 900 new I have pics I can send u they wont upload here, chester

GMac
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
i have this ultimate for sale its brand new ridden 2 times i am 6 ft long legged not enough leg room if anyone is interested I will take 750 for it with the drivers backrest I paid over 900 new I have pics I can send u they wont upload here, chester

I already placed the order and paid for mine or I would be happy to take you up on your offer. It certainly would have saved me some money!

Thanks again,
Gary

Oklahoma Spyder
05-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I bought it new in myrtle beach bike week from ultimate I love the seat but I am 6 ft tall and long legged it fits my wife but to tight of leg room for me it is black with tan trim very bueatiful seat also has drivers back rest hasent been ridden but to house in va he didn't have the big boy then don't know if it would have helped but here is some pics I have a little over 900.00 dollars it the seat its brand new I will take 750 plus shipping if any body is interested. chester

So you did not buy the Ultimate "tall boy" seat???