PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder Owner 2008 RS Premiere Edition- SHIFTING QUESTION !

NHSpyderman
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I just got a "new" 2008 Spyder RS and am used to a Ninja ZX6 when it comes to shifting.....I noticed the Spyder runs much better at higher RPM's but I haven't mastered the correct speed for shifting yet...is it just shift it when it sounds like it wants to be shifted?
I usually shift from 1st in to 2nd around 30 mph and then go from there-seems like 5th gear is pretty much for the highway around 60mph. Is this correct ? THANKS for HELPING !!! PS. I LOVE MY SPIDER ! New Hampshire is great for riding. Beaches+Lakes especially!

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Lots of good info here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Sounds like you're doing pretty good when it comes to RPM's, shifting points, and the correct gear for freeway speeds. :thumbup:

Welcome aboard!

ARtraveler
05-21-2013, 04:19 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on the new ryde.

The Rotax likes high revs. If you shift between 5000 and 5500 rpm's on most shifts you will be right on the money. Fifth gear is pretty much an overdrive for 60 mph and above.

The link furnished above is a good one. :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
:agree: :congrats: on your new ryde and :welcome: you seem to be doing fine..enjoy the ryde..!!:ohyea:

Flanker
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Enjoy the new ride! I have a '12 RSS, I shift at any RPM I feel like........................it hasn't complained yet. ;)

NHSpyderman
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
thanks for the tips, I did read that link but wasn't so sure it applied to my particular Spyder Model so I thought I would throw the question out there. HAPPY TRAILS everyone.....now the New England weather just needs to clear up for the RIDING !!!! Peace.

SPYD1
05-21-2013, 08:20 PM
:congrats:

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
They've covered the shifting issue...
But I'd like to add that you're absolutely correct; you've got some GREAT roads and destinations up there! :2thumbs:

NHSpyderman
05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
They've covered the shifting issue...
But I'd like to add that you're absolutely correct; you've got some GREAT roads and destinations up there! :2thumbs:
Yes we do, the lakes, the mountains, and the beach. Great Stuff. Can't wait !

Tierhog
05-23-2013, 03:50 AM
I just got a "new" 2008 Spyder RS and am used to a Ninja ZX6 when it comes to shifting.....I noticed the Spyder runs much better at higher RPM's but I haven't mastered the correct speed for shifting yet...is it just shift it when it sounds like it wants to be shifted?
I usually shift from 1st in to 2nd around 30 mph and then go from there-seems like 5th gear is pretty much for the highway around 60mph. Is this correct ? THANKS for HELPING !!! PS. I LOVE MY SPIDER ! New Hampshire is great for riding. Beaches+Lakes especially!

NH- I had a zx-6 as well. I enjoy shifting around 6-7000. Sometimes 7500. At around 7, the higher gear drops to the sweet spot in the bottom end of its torque curve and really climbs quickly. Different exhaust brings that perfect music to your ears letting you know shes ready. :)

Strangely enough, I also have the exact same spyder as you. These are easy to work on and put a fuel controller on too. If you have any questions, give me a shout

joet82
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I personally don't pay attention to the RPMs. But when I'm going up through the gears in my normal routie, I shift out of first at 10, out of 2nd at 20, out of 3rd at 30, and out of 4th at 40. Adrenaline has never seemed to complain loud enough to get my attention. Have been doing this pattern for 3 years since I started.

NHSpyderman
05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
NH- I had a zx-6 as well. I enjoy shifting around 6-7000. Sometimes 7500. At around 7, the higher gear drops to the sweet spot in the bottom end of its torque curve and really climbs quickly. Different exhaust brings that perfect music to your ears letting you know shes ready. :)

Strangely enough, I also have the exact same spyder as you. These are easy to work on and put a fuel controller on too. If you have any questions, give me a shout
my ZX6 was a 1990 or 1991 Can't remember....but it was a bit clunky when shifting from 1st to 2nd..the Spyder is a great machine-very fun. Thanks for the info. Peace

fas2000
08-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi guys,

I know shifting has been spoken about so much. But can you give me your suggestions:

-Around town my speed is usually about 25mph to 30,, 32.. what gear would you keep it in? I assume 2nd, as 1st seems to twitchy.
-Many times a car might make a right hand turn in front of you, reducing you speak to 18, 20 mph. What are you doing? downshifting to 1st and getting back up to the suggested 22 mph shift point? or are you applying some throttle in 2nd gear to bring it up to the suggest sweet spot?

Thanks in advance.

Fas

jerpinoy
08-14-2013, 11:03 AM
:welcome: Have fun in any rpm and I think you're doing it right. Just be safe.:yes::yes:

fas2000
08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Great and thanks for advice :)