PDA

View Full Version : Missing tool ?

exwinger
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Planned on removing the dash today and disconnect the gas gauge wiring but nothing in the tool kit fits the star screws. Is my kit missing the special tip maybe ?

Bob Denman
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
It's actually missing it only in the sense that BRP never included the Torx head sizes in the kits... :gaah:
T-30 is used a lot; but there are one or two others that are pretty darn useful too!

flamingobabe
05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
we pulled a side panel where there mirrors are and had 3 different screw head...in 1 panel....plus some missing screws.....

scooterexpress
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
at spyderfest 2012 in the parking lot alot guys saw that i had removed my gauges and replaced with others and they wanted to do the same the one thing i noticed was that the screws in my dash were regular allen head screws and then there were few others that had different size torx on there's so you might want to check and see if it its a reg allen screw.

ARtraveler
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I purchased a set of torx and carry them in the frunk. #30 is the most common size used.

Bob Denman
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I just grab a couple of likely candidates, and try them until I find the correct size!
Do you happen to know which other sizes are used on these bikes?

Cruzr Joe
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
the four screws that hold in the dash are T25 (Torx # 25)

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I have found single torx bits in various sizes at Home DEpot, ...if you don't want to buy an entire set........Mike :thumbup:

exwinger
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that had this problem. Finally just ended up using an allen wrench which worked just fine.Found another area that has 2 different torx screws...the skidplate....again the allen wrench worked.

Wonder what their logic was in doing this ? Suppose the same guy that did this is the same guy that did the air valve on the rear tire ?

boborgera
05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that had this problem. Finally just ended up using an allen wrench which worked just fine.Found another area that has 2 different torx screws...the skidplate....again the allen wrench worked.

Wonder what their logic was in doing this ? Suppose the same guy that did this is the same guy that did the air valve on the rear tire ?

If the Allen worked then they probably were aliens....:dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2013, 01:22 AM

It's really great to see how Spyderlovers are so willing to HELP each other out. HOWEVER....After they use this method a few times and finally strip out the HEAD of the TORX BOLT can they come by your house with their Spyder and have you fix THAT PROBLEM ? ? ?,...........Please be careful with HELPFUL solutions, some people don't know any better........:agree: :roflblack: ...........Just sayin......Mike :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
05-22-2013, 09:43 AM
It's really great to see how Spyderlovers are so willing to HELP each other out. HOWEVER....After they use this method a few times and finally strip out the HEAD of the TORX BOLT can they come by your house with their Spyder and have you fix THAT PROBLEM ? ? ?,...........Please be careful with HELPFUL solutions, some people don't know any better........:agree: :roflblack: ...........Just sayin......Mike :thumbup:

Yes stick with the proper tools or you will be sorry down the road. a inexpensive torx set is around $10.00

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
:agree: X2 I've learned the hard way just how expensive, "Cheap" can truly be... :shocked:

exwinger
05-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Yep , I agree on using the right tool for the right job but in this case I had no alternative. My wife wasn't home and my truck is in the shop so I had to make do. If it was a really critical component I wouldn't have used the allen wrench , I would have waited and got the right one. Screws were all fairly loose and came right out and went back in easily. I did go out and buy a set of the torx so will have them for future use. My main point was that if you have to get a screw out and you don't have the correct torx then an allen will work.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Yep , I agree on using the right tool for the right job but in this case I had no alternative. My wife wasn't home and my truck is in the shop so I had to make do. If it was a really critical component I wouldn't have used the allen wrench , I would have waited and got the right one. Screws were all fairly loose and came right out and went back in easily. I did go out and buy a set of the torx so will have them for future use. My main point was that if you have to get a screw out and you don't have the correct torx then an allen will work.

I have done the same thing in a PINCH.....However what you meant .....AND .....what you said where very different things.......Somone who doesn't know a PHILLIPS from a TORX is could very easily mis-interpret your POST to mean it's perfectly OK to substitute an ALLEN for a TORX " ALL " the time....Re-read your original POST......Now if you didn't know any better could think this was OK based on what you said ? ? ?........All I'm trying to get across is ,be careful what & how you tell people here to do things. Some of them don't know enough to KNOW better.........Mike :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
we pulled a side panel where there mirrors are and had 3 different screw head...in 1 panel....plus some missing screws.....

Really like you new avitar:thumbup::clap:

exwinger
05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Didn't mean to come across the way I did on using the allens vs the torx. Didn't mean to lead anyone down the garden path. I wasn't taking into consideration there are people that do not have the mechanical experience that I've had and would just ......."assume " ....that my solution would be the correct way of doing things. Believe me , I've been down the path with stripped screws and bolts ....and yes some were my fault. If the "incorrect" tool I was using looked like it was causing damage...I quit and got the right tool. Again , I apologize for misleading anyone down the wrong path.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Didn't mean to come across the way I did on using the allens vs the torx. Didn't mean to lead anyone down the garden path. I wasn't taking into consideration there are people that do not have the mechanical experience that I've had and would just ......."assume " ....that my solution would be the correct way of doing things. Believe me , I've been down the path with stripped screws and bolts ....and yes some were my fault. If the "incorrect" tool I was using looked like it was causing damage...I quit and got the right tool. Again , I apologize for misleading anyone down the wrong path.

No harm ,No foul, .....I hope you didn't take anything I said as a "scolding " :yikes::roflblack:.......But I do find that the less -knowledge-able people hear take whatever they read hear as GOSPEL just because they read it on SPYDERLOVERS.....So we ( ME INCLUDED ) need to be careful how we say /word things .....so we don't lead the innocent astray........Let's end this on a Happy note ..............MERRY CHRISTMAS .....:2excited: :agree: :hun: Mike

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Mike,
Can you tell me which size Torx(es?) we should throw in our toolbags?
I know about the T30 and T25; are there any others?
Thanks! ;)

scooterexpress
05-23-2013, 07:53 AM
to emphasize as to what has been said,when i was sitting there telling guys how to remove said screws there were 2 other bikes that had different size torx on there dash screws,but in my case my dash screws were allens and i had scotty(nancystoy) try every size torx bit and none were it,he thought that maybe before i bought my bike the shop for some reason swapped or replaced the screws for some reason or another,don't know why they would of i bought the bike with 1 mile on odometer so its remaines a mystery with me why ev1 else has torx in the dash and not mine.
just sayin it could be allens 1 never knows what someone else did to the bike during and after setup/assembly.

jim

NancysToy
05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
to emphasize as to what has been said,when i was sitting there telling guys how to remove said screws there were 2 other bikes that had different size torx on there dash screws,but in my case my dash screws were allens and i had scotty(nancystoy) try every size torx bit and none were it,he thought that maybe before i bought my bike the shop for some reason swapped or replaced the screws for some reason or another,don't know why they would of i bought the bike with 1 mile on odometer so its remaines a mystery with me why ev1 else has torx in the dash and not mine.
just sayin it could be allens 1 never knows what someone else did to the bike during and after setup/assembly.

jim

True story...it was a shock to me, too. BTW, with those recessed screws I had to get right up there, with a flashlight, to see that the screws were hex instead of torx.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

:shocked: Now that sure makes for a completely different pile of poo in the front yard; doesn't it? :shocked:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-23-2013, 10:17 AM
Mike,
Can you tell me which size Torx(es?) we should throw in our toolbags?
I know about the T30 and T25; are there any others?
Thanks! ;)

Robert, considering that they weigh approx. 21.5 grams each .........................I would carry each and everyone I own....Just sayin :gaah: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :hun: :agree:..........Luv Ya Bob........Mike v:shemademe_smilie:

billybovine
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
I got a set of torx and allens this week for $14.99 for both.