PDA

View Full Version : Most comfortable long distance seat? Corbin, Russell, Day-Long, Ultimate.......

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 12:26 PM
OK. I've looked over the posts and comments here and all over the web. If you have a Russell it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have a Corbin it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have an Ultimate it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have a Day-Long... Etc, etc. Without ownership bias, what is the most comfortable long distance seat anyone's ever tried (even if it was on someone's else's rig)? I'm almost 60 and have no real natural cushion left on my butt, and I'm planning a cross country trip and back in a month or so.

NancysToy
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Exactly how do you eliminate ownership bias? Every person's caboose is different. Only you can make the call of what is best for you. That's pretty hard to swallow, given the cost of custom seats, but it's a fact. If you can sit on some at a Spyder event, it might help you with your choice. Otherwise, it's stricktly pot luck. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If I had to choose the safest option, I'd choose the Russell, or another custome rebuild done by weight, measurements, and photos. It's still taking a chance, but at least they try to fit your physique and riding style.

PrairieSpyder
http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/d/duh-1007.gif I think you already know the answer to that question!

Arr MiHardies
OK. I've looked over the posts and comments here and all over the web. If you have a Russell it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have a Corbin it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have an Ultimate it's the most comfortable and wearable. If you have a Day-Long... Etc, etc. Without ownership bias, what is the most comfortable long distance seat anyone's ever tried (even if it was on someone's else's rig)? I'm almost 60 and have no real natural cushion left on my butt, and I'm planning a cross country trip and back in a month or so.

I have a Corbin that I'm real happy with, but after trying someones Day-long recently, I'm seriously considering switching

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Only your butt will know for sure. I'm a Corbin guy and have been for years. That said, all the companies you mentioned provide quality seats. Pick one, and have a great trip.

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Only your butt will know for sure. I'm a Corbin guy and have been for years. That said, all the companies you mentioned provide quality seats. Pick one, and have a great trip.

Thanks for the quick replies. I realize it's up to the individual butt, but I was hoping to hear from some experience. Rather than just read that so-and-so says their seat is best I was hoping for some consensus or direction. Many owners here have had multiple bikes and have enough experience to know what they're talking about. My '12 RT-S is my first bike in 43 years and my butt is a little different than it was in the late 1960's. $600-$800 plus backrest ($230-$400) is a lot to gamble with without SOME experienced knowledge if/when it's available. I'm trying to reduce the gamble as best I can.

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I realize it's up to the individual butt, but I was hoping to hear from some experience. Rather than just read that so-and-so says their seat is best I was hoping for some consensus or direction. Many owners here have had multiple bikes and have enough experience to know what they're talking about. My '12 RT-S is my first bike in 43 years and my butt is a little different than it was in the late 1960's. $600-$800 plus backrest ($230-$400) is a lot to gamble with without SOME experienced knowledge if/when it's available. I'm trying to reduce the gamble as best I can.

Wasn't an attempt to put your question back on you. It's just that any rider with years of experience will likely parrot similar words of wisdom. Again, hope you find one that works for you.

Jer

bullant12
05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
:agree: with the statements of having the seat tailored to your posterior. Having said that, sometimes you can look up a local upholster that can work with you. In fact, he/she would be honored to work on a proyect like a :spyder2: seat if that person hasn't done it before. That would give both the testing advantage...

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Exactly how do you eliminate ownership bias? Every person's caboose is different. Only you can make the call of what is best for you. That's pretty hard to swallow, given the cost of custom seats, but it's a fact. If you can sit on some at a Spyder event, it might help you with your choice. Otherwise, it's stricktly pot luck. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

If I had to choose the safest option, I'd choose the Russell, or another custome rebuild done by weight, measurements, and photos. It's still taking a chance, but at least they try to fit your physique and riding style.

captblack
05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
A good idea would be to head over to the owners event in MV next month. You could see which seat feels good - I am sure folks would let you check the seats out.

Lamonster
05-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Unless the rider has YOUR butt there is no way to answer this question. Maybe you should look into an airhawk pad (http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx) seeing you have no butt left. A Corbin is not going to work for you I don't think but that's what works great for me. 1465 miles in 27 hours on a Corbin and my butt was fine.
nojoke

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Unless the rider has YOUR butt there is no way to answer this question. Maybe you should look into an airhawk pad (http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx) seeing you have no butt left. A Corbin is not going to work for you I don't think but that's what works great for me. 1465 miles in 27 hours on a Corbin and my butt was fine.
nojoke

Thanks. I do like the looks of your Lamonster Corbin seat. I wish I had more time to check out different seats at events, but I leave for the Grand Canyon North Rim in 31 days. Sergio at Corbin says he can mod a seat for 18" length for the rider's seat to give my knees a better angle for long trips. He says that'll leave 11" for the passenger seat. Is that enough? I'm about to be divorced and have no passenger so it's not a big deal right now, but it might be in the future.

P.S. You never know... there might be some other "thin butts" out there who could tell me if their seat is comfortable for long trips.

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/d/duh-1007.gif I think you already know the answer to that question!

Sorry PrairieSpyder, but if I already knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question. Thanks for the assist.:banghead:

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks. I do like the looks of your Lamonster Corbin seat. I wish I had more time to check out different seats at events, but I leave for the Grand Canyon North Rim in 31 days. Sergio at Corbin says he can mod a seat for 18" length for the rider's seat to give my knees a better angle for long trips. He says that'll leave 11" for the passenger seat. Is that enough? I'm about to be divorced and have no passenger so it's not a big deal right now, but it might be in the future.

My Corbin sets me both back and up 2" from what would be stock seating position.

Two up is not a problem but, if your pillion rider is not a small person(short and thin) you will most likely not be able to use the back rest. If, you ordered your seat with one. I ride two up often with both larger and smaller pillion riders and all works well, save the fact that as said, I loose the back rest sometimes.

Littlebadwolf
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I really like my Corbin which I also use sheepskin covers on...It's very comfortable for me...My wife has the Ultimate on hers and she swears by it so I guess it comes down to a preference determined after trying out all of them...Could be a very expensive trial.

spyder3
05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm here just to confuse you a bit more. I went what was more the scientific route or at least website info anyway:dontknow:. I couldnt sit on the OEM seat for 40 minutes without having all sorts of issues. All of the seats get hot even if they are comfy..still hot...sticky..etc

So I gambled and tried this http://kontourseat.com you can choose any color you want, as long as its black.:roflblack:

It doesnt get hot sitting in the sun, doesnt absorb any water and for me its comfy(wifey also). It does flow air through it, in the summer its hot air, but still air. In the winter its cold air, and its cold:roflblack:. dress appropriately.

When i have a long ride planned, i will wear some LD comfort shorts which makes it even nicer./ In my limited cycle exp., I have found that 2 things need to be comfy as possible. Your helmet and your butt.

MouthPiece
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
nojoke

Boy you've opened yourself up on that one. Hmmmmmmm. As I recall there was something about waterproof pants, but no proof (picture that is) to substantiate the claim in that thread? ????? :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Chris

ARtraveler
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
As others have said, most of us are only familiar with one of the brands. My experience covers two Corbins on two different :spyder2:'s. I have over 50,000 seat miles on the Corbins. They are harder feeling for more support. You will either love them or hate them. As Lamont said, a long day is doable if you have the right "padding". I use either a sheepskin/gel seat cover, an airhawk, and sometimes both, depending on the "pain of the day".

I cannot speak about the other brands mentioned because I have not experimented with the other brands.

When on two wheels, I used to put Mustang seats on my rides. I always preferred them to the OEM seats that the bikes came with. I am no longer doing 600 plus mile days, but I was okay after about 400 miles on the Corbin on one of my trips.

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
My Corbin sets me both back and up 2" from what would be stock seating position.

Two up is not a problem but, if your pillion rider is not a small person(short and thin) you will most likely not be able to use the back rest. If, you ordered your seat with one. I ride two up often with both larger and smaller pillion riders and all works well, save the fact that as said, I loose the back rest sometimes.

Now THAT's usefull stuff. Does the 2" rise position the knees better, or would I still need a longer seat? Stock seating is 15 to 15-1/2 inches long. Yours came longer without asking for it? Sergio at Corbin said that they could make me an 18" length and didn't mention that their seat was 2" longer anyway, but I might not the 18" if it comes 2" taller AND 2" longer (17 to 17-1/2").

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Now THAT's usefull stuff.

"Does the 2" rise position the knees better, or would I still need a longer seat?"

Yes, for me. I have a 34 inch inseam however. To be precise. That measurement is from crotch to center of the ankle bone.

"Stock seating is 15 to 15-1/2 inches long. Yours came longer without asking for it?"

No, it came longer because I needed to set back for two reasons. Proper leg angle and to move me back from the bars. 35.5 sleeve length.

Sergio at Corbin said that they could make me an 18" length and didn't mention that their seat was 2" longer anyway, but I might not the 18" if it comes 2" taller AND 2" longer (17 to 17-1/2").

Edit: Forgot to mention here but it's in other posts. I took advantage of the drive in service so they had me on site while it was being built. :thumbup:

Warlock
05-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Now THAT's usefull stuff. Does the 2" rise position the knees better, or would I still need a longer seat? Stock seating is 15 to 15-1/2 inches long. Yours came longer without asking for it? Sergio at Corbin said that they could make me an 18" length and didn't mention that their seat was 2" longer anyway, but I might not the 18" if it comes 2" taller AND 2" longer (17 to 17-1/2").
I'd look into the russell day long. Un-like the other seats he builds just for you only. Never have tried one, but good friends of mine sware by them. Of course I do like the Ulitmate seats.
david

gypsy_100
05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
nojoke

Yep, do not overlook the Airhawk. My wife won't ride without one. I used her's on my 8K trip to Alaska and it was fine. For a small amount of $, you can give it a try before investing more in a custom seat. Get the original Airhawk or the new R model, not the Airhawk II as it's more cheaply made. And don't overfill it. Just a trace of air. Everyone overfills them and then it feels like you're moving or floating around too much.

shelbydave
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I wonder if there is anybody out there that has owned, and used all three to chime in? At the price of these seats, I doubt it. I had to take a guess, and an opportunity arose for me to get the Ultimate.

I had sat on a Corbin for about 5 minutes, and thought it was hard. I have heard that the Corbin takes about 500 miles to get it trained to your butt though. Without putting a days ride on each, there is no way to really judge.

All I can say is that my Ultimate is a far improvement over the stock seat, and probably the absolute best change I've made thus far.

Highwayman2013
05-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Don't forget Motorcycle Dave, he does custom seats.

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
The Corbin takes a couple thousand miles before it really starts to feel good. Then it just gets better and better. At least it has always worked that way for me.

NancysToy
05-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I agree with trying an Airhawk (probably the Airhawk R) or an Alaska Leather Sheepkin in the short run. These are good to have on a long run with any seat...just for some variety.

I also have absolutely no natural butt. My experience with seats is mostly with bikes, which are somewhat different because the shape has to allow you to put your foot down. But you asked for our experiences, so here goes...

Corbin - the most miserable bricks I have ever owned (I have had 3). Never found one I liked in the least, even after thousands of miles of break-in. The Lamonster cut, which is dished in the middle actually hurt me when I sat on Lamont's RT. My butt prefers the humpback, horse saddle shape.

Russell Day-Long - Absolutely the best I have ever owned. It was even comfortable from day one. Made to my specs, my measurements, and my photo seated on the bike.

Stock RT - I am very comfortable on this seat. Best OEM seat I ever owned. That makes me an oddity.

BRP Comfort Seat (RS) - Too flat for my comfort. Not sure how the RT version compares.

Ultimate - I only sat on a couple for a few minutes each. They had potential. A good long ride would tell the story. Available in a long version.

Rick Mayer - Real good seat. He understands orthopedic needs, as a former medical professional. Not sure if he can do a Spyder seat.

Sargeant - Not a bad seat, but was too wide in the front on a bike, for me. Not sure they would do a Spyder.

Motorcycle Dave - (Valley Custom Upholstery) Site sponsor. Does custom recovering jobs. I have not tried one, but they sound like a cost effective alternative.

Mike,P
05-21-2013, 04:37 PM
If I get a aftermarket seat for the Spyder it will be a Russel Day Long,, Hands Down. I've had them for a couple hundred thousand miles on various BMWs and they do the job ALL DAY LONG!!! The customer service is AWESOME as well.. You get a custom seat tailored to your butt and they stand behind their product :) I don't know if you can get one made that fast cause it's riding season and i don't know what the turn around is.. I do have some experiance with the AirHawk R and it works as advertised.. I will be using the AirHawk R for a weekend trip to FLA soon just to see if I even need to put another seat on the Spyder. My advice is to try the AirHawk R first cause I doubt you can get a Russel made that quick...

flamingobabe
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm a Corbin kinda gal....but wanted a Russel for the spyder...but they would not install a gas door...had to have a gas door...so went with Corbin....I find is comfortable...you either love em or hate em

Mike,P
05-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of the gas door but as I'm riding down the highway with a butt that feels like it's on fire I will find little comfort having a sweeet gas door.. Knowing how Russell seats are built I can see why they don't offer that option. Most of the brands listed in this thread offer off the shelf choices / Russell offers custom built SOLUTIONS :)

Bob Ledford
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't put a lot of faith in saddle hopping at a riding event. You need to set your behind in the seat for a couple of days before you can really make a good judgement.

We have been sitting our Corbin for a year and six months and it is just starting to fit my rear end (159#, 5' 7" 28" inseam 34 waist).

We sat our OEM saddle for six months before relegating it to the attic. Not a drop of buyers remorse yet.

edbremer
05-21-2013, 06:13 PM
As you can see its a roll of the dice! I have BMW R1200RT with a Sargeant seat that fits me perfectly. If they made one for the Spyder RT I would have one. I've had two of the Ultimate seats on Honda bikes and that will be my choice when the time comes. I too don't have much padding in the rear but the Ultimate seats worked best for me. I've tried others without much luck.

Trickie Dick
05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm a Russell man myself. I had one on my GS for 30K miles and rode it 6k to California and back with under a 500 miles on the seat when I started. My first purchase on my RT was a Russell. Having said that, I doubt you can get one made in your time frame. I sure would look into it though.

SPYD1
05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I find myself relocating my feet to different pegs on long rides. This helps move the pressure points on your butt as you travel. While some may not agree, having this flexibility allows me to travel comfortably longer. Adding some kind of pad or cushion only helps.

Flight Risk
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I could not stand the OEM seat for more than 100 miles...it was uncomfortable but I would ride it anyhow. I have a boney butt, no padding.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Day-Long seat. Just to give you a heads up, they are really busy during the riding season and you have to send in either your seat or a used OEM seat you purchase. Day-Long puts you on a list, when they are about 2 weeks out, you ship the seat to them. I bought a used seat from an SL member and paid for it to be shipped to me. You send them pictures of you on the bike in your normal riding position, give them your inseam and finally pick fabric, color and any other extras, I also sent them my passenger back rest and ordered a drivers back rest as well. Then you wait a couple of weeks or so for it to be made and shipped back. I got mine back just days before a Lon ride from Dallas to Memphis and back...1,200 plus miles........on a beautiful seat that didn't break in for more than 3,000 miles, maybe much more.
I love that seat......now.

Moral....don't take a long trip on a new seat......it hurts! Hope you do find the perfect seat for you!

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 08:43 PM
I agree with trying an Airhawk (probably the Airhawk R) or an Alaska Leather Sheepkin in the short run. These are good to have on a long run with any seat...just for some variety.

I also have absolutely no natural butt. My experience with seats is mostly with bikes, which are somewhat different because the shape has to allow you to put your foot down. But you asked for our experiences, so here goes...

Corbin - the most miserable bricks I have ever owned (I have had 3). Never found one I liked in the least, even after thousands of miles of break-in. The Lamonster cut, which is dished in the middle actually hurt me when I sat on Lamont's RT. My butt prefers the humpback, horse saddle shape.

Russell Day-Long - Absolutely the best I have ever owned. It was even comfortable from day one. Made to my specs, my measurements, and my photo seated on the bike.

Stock RT - I am very comfortable on this seat. Best OEM seat I ever owned. That makes me an oddity.

BRP Comfort Seat (RS) - Too flat for my comfort. Not sure how the RT version compares.

Ultimate - I only sat on a couple for a few minutes each. They had potential. A good long ride would tell the story. Available in a long version.

Rick Mayer - Real good seat. He understands orthopedic needs, as a former medical professional. Not sure if he can do a Spyder seat.

Sargeant - Not a bad seat, but was too wide in the front on a bike, for me. Not sure they would do a Spyder.

Motorcycle Dave - (Valley Custom Upholstery) Site sponsor. Does custom recovering jobs. I have not tried one, but they sound like a cost effective alternative.

Because of the time constraints I decided to go with the Airhawk R for the trip, and when I get back I'll probably get either:

1) The new Kontour seat. Claims: Allows a lot of airflow under the butt, no seams, no stitches, guaranteed completely waterproof, guaranteed UV/sunproof, doesn't get hot in the full sun, butt stays "cool even in searing heat" (shows test results for their patented product that's 58 degrees cooler than vinyl in the full sun). Lasts years longer than vinyl or leather. With this seat it seems to be all about comfort in every aspect and enough quality to warrant a lifetime warranty. Heated seat option. Rider backrest option. Variable rider seat length. Variable height. Easily accomodates tall riders and option for heavy riders up to 350lbs (The KonTour Magnum). No gas door.
http://kontourseat.com/index.html

or,

2) the popular Russell Day-Long. Many great descriptions in this thread. No gas door.

Corbin looks really cool, especially with the web stitching, but for my butt probably like sitting on bricks as NancysToy mentioned. For bigger/better cushioned butts than mine.

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I find myself relocating my feet to different pegs on long rides. This helps move the pressure points on your butt as you travel. While some may not agree, having this flexibility allows me to travel comfortably longer. Adding some kind of pad or cushion only helps.

Speaking of foot pegs... I found that putting my feet out at the very end of the pegs helps a LOT with the right leg heat problem.

exwinger
05-21-2013, 10:32 PM
As mentioned above , don't buy a new seat just before going on a long trip ......you will be ( sorely ) sorry. Every seat I've had has been pretty miserable for at least a couple thousand miles before starting to be comfortable. I wasn't told that my last custom seat would take at 5000 miles before it became comfortable. Got it just before embarking on a 1000 mile trip and ended up having to stop every 50 miles or so . It took almost 5000 miles before it started to get comfortable but never did attain the comfortability they claimed. If you test sit on a seat you can bet the one they're using has been put through the seasoning to make sure it feels good. I actually went back to my stock seat . My buddy had the same brand seat but a different model and his has been fine almost from the start but he did a lot of shorter rides before taking any long trips. I now just use a gel pad on the spyder and it works pretty well. Learned real quick about the gel though , if you don't cover it while you're taking a ride break and it's in the sun....IT GETS HOT and takes a while to cool down. Makes for misery until then.

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 11:11 PM
As mentioned above , don't buy a new seat just before going on a long trip ......you will be ( sorely ) sorry. Every seat I've had has been pretty miserable for at least a couple thousand miles before starting to be comfortable. I wasn't told that my last custom seat would take at 5000 miles before it became comfortable. Got it just before embarking on a 1000 mile trip and ended up having to stop every 50 miles or so . It took almost 5000 miles before it started to get comfortable but never did attain the comfortability they claimed. If you test sit on a seat you can bet the one they're using has been put through the seasoning to make sure it feels good. I actually went back to my stock seat . My buddy had the same brand seat but a different model and his has been fine almost from the start but he did a lot of shorter rides before taking any long trips. I now just use a gel pad on the spyder and it works pretty well. Learned real quick about the gel though , if you don't cover it while you're taking a ride break and it's in the sun....IT GETS HOT and takes a while to cool down. Makes for misery until then.

Thanks. That's why I decided to go with the Airhawk R for the trip. It's an inflatable seat cushion. :D

bertmc
05-21-2013, 11:50 PM
The Corbin takes a couple thousand miles before it really starts to feel good. Then it just gets better and better. At least it has always worked that way for me.

Mine didn't seem to feel any better after 50,000 miles. I prefer a softer touch. I have even read comments from Corbin reps that their seats are for persons who prefer "firm."

I had 3 Diamonds (custom measurements & foam density) in the past and they were great after breaking in. I'm getting along OK so far on the stock seat on my RT Ltd.

bmwlarry
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I have had custom seats in the past on my BMW K1200lt and made coast to coast trips. I have to say that riding with an Airhawk is better. I ran a 970 mile day on my LT with an air hawk and it performed great! I "have no ass at all" and 60 miles hurts on my RT. The longest day I had on my 7,100+ mile spyderfest run was about 500 miles and my butt was fine all day. The seat keeps your bottom cool and if it rains, the water runs right off. A often forgotten this to consider is what you wear underneath your pants! Seriously! At the BMW rally two years ago, I bought a pair of LDComfort underpants. Yes, there are about $50 but what a difference! Cool, wicking and no seams what so ever. For the spyderfest run, I bought a second pair and I hand wash a pair every evening and have a fresh pair for the next morning. Try them out!

http://www.ldcomfort.com

spyder3
05-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I agree on the LD comfort shorts. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
I agree on the LD comfort shorts. :thumbup:

:agree: 2.....or is that 3 :spyder:

mob133
05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
alittle off topic,do you still have footpegs or boards ? ijust put on a set of web-boards and their great to give your legs some movement you can also stretch and stand occasionally to keep the blood flow to that tired butt.

FlaBound
05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
My wife and I both develop a case of sore butt after a couple hours or so on our stock limited seat.
In an effort to satisfy both of us, I bought 2 airhawk r's.
So far so good. Will know after we do another all day'r
BTW; in case anyone is concerned about fit, the airhawk r fits perfectly for the driver and passenger. And that's with the utopia backrest