PDA

View Full Version : I know, this is a weird question...

GMac
05-20-2013, 07:00 PM
...so bear with me.

I don't have a garage so I recently bought one of those "pop up" shed/tent things to put my Spyder and my motorcycle in. It does a great job of keeping the elements off the bike, but it's not "animal proof".

We have a cat (not ours, a neighborhood cat) that for some reason seems to REALLY like sitting on the seat of my Spyder. If he sat on it and I couldn't TELL he sat on it, I really wouldn't care, but when I come out, it's always got these little muddy cat prints all over the seat (and sometimes on the side as well). I'm getting tired of having to wipe it off every time I want to ride (and I'm thinking of getting a Corbin seat and REALLY don't want the little bast**d sitting on that). It's far worse if the weather is wet but it even happens when it's dry. At times the paw prints are very simple to get off, at other times I really have to scrub.

So - my question is, has anyone else had anything like this happen and does anyone have any suggestions to keep him off the bike (he also occasionally climbs on my Honda seat but seems to prefer the Spyder)?

I know, I could try to shoot it but since I actually LIKE the cat (we have four indoor ones of our own and genuinely like cats) and since I don't own a gun that makes it a non-option (even if I had one and WANTED to shoot it, I'm such a bad shot I'd likely miss and "shoot my eye out" instead). :yikes:

So, like I said, a weird question, but I'm hoping that with the collective wisdom here someone may have an answer that doesn't involve bodily harm to said cat (though there are some days I'm thinking that's a viable option). :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any sage advice you may be able to give me!!!
Gary

PrairieSpyder
05-20-2013, 07:05 PM
You can get animal repellant at pet stores. Or buy a large size of Cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it on the area you want to keep the cat off of and he'll get the idea. However, instead of paw prints you'll have to clean off the pepper or repellent before you ride.

Also, if you have a cover for the Spyder, the cat would have to get under it to be on the seat.

jthornton
05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
My shop cat loves to lay in the Spyder seat and the GL1800 seat. I just pile stuff like empty boxes on the seats to keep her off.

JT

Oldmanzues
05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
You might try laying a piece of plastic over the seat or/and as some people use for a emergency rain cover, open the seat and put a trash bag over it. Good luck Oldmanzues

JimAlpha
05-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe just cover it with a garbage bag when not riding it. I was going to say spike strip but I like cats too.

kyspyder
05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
You have 2 very good alternatives at the opposite end of the $ scale.
Simplest is to place an unbaited but "set" mouse trap on the seat, the cat will get the idea real quick without any real harm.
More $, do a google search for "scat mat" (plastic sheet with 9 volt battery, gives mild electric shock when cat gets on it, again, no harm to cat, but they will stay away from your seat.

KYSPYDER

McGone
05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
A cardboard tent that covers the seat.

Chupaca
05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Had cat problems (not on the roadster) but the pepper (black) sprinkled around the area worked well. If you cover the seat make sure it is something cat claws will not penetrate or you will have more than mud on the seat. I have used bubble wrap but again if they feel they are going to fall they will pull out the claws..good luck..!! :thumbup:

daveinva
05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Heh... I have had the *exact same problem* at my house. Keep the Bike Barn in the driveway, some mangy neighborhood cat loves to curl up on my seat from time to time.

I've never done anything about it-- it happens so infrequently, I don't bother-- but the three suggestions that might work best:

1. Spray Bitter Yuck on the seat. This isn't ideal as if you touch the seat with bare hands, you're liable to taste some of it yourself.

(True story: I spray it on my fake Xmas tree every year to keep our cat from going all National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation into the tree. Of course, I always manage to forget I do this between when I take the tree down and put it back up the next year. Inevitably I'm left wondering just what the :cus: is that awful taste is in my mouth as I set the tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving :D, until I remember, "Oh yeah... Bitter Yuck.")

2. Tinfoil. Spread a large sheet of it on the seat, be sure to crinkle it a little bit. Many cats don't like walking on tinfoil. (Alas, some don't care at all-- again, trial and error!).

3. Get a half-cover (Nelson Rigg sells one), or just a big sheet and throw it over the Spyder when parked. A PITA, and annoyingly redundant (like me, you got the outside storage *for a reason*), but takes care of your cat problem.

Havasu Rider
05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
I agree with the mouse traps. I used them for years to keep cats from getting into my boats. I usually takes two times for the cat to get "hit" with the traps and they do not come back.;)

Spyder601
05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I purchased a half cover for my rs not sure if you have a RS or RT but these are really nice they make them for both models nelson rigg seems to be a favorite on this forum. See link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NELSON-RIGG-HALF-NYLON-COVER-RS-VERSION-BLACK-CAN-AM-SPYDER-CAS-365-/350786584086?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item51ac827e16

Bob Denman
05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
lots of really GREAT solutions... :2thumbs: I'm not a "cat" person, but I'm glad that the shooting option has been rendered unnecessary! :thumbup:

SpyderDen
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
At least the cat has good taste. Choosing which seat to sit on. Sorry Lamont. Honda seats are OK for some. Tin foil? So much for "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". :roflblack:

Im not a big cat fan, but I like cats better than mice.

Elembytes
05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
...so bear with me.

I don't have a garage so I recently bought one of those "pop up" shed/tent things to put my Spyder and my motorcycle in. It does a great job of keeping the elements off the bike, but it's not "animal proof".

We have a cat (not ours, a neighborhood cat) that for some reason seems to REALLY like sitting on the seat of my Spyder. If he sat on it and I couldn't TELL he sat on it, I really wouldn't care, but when I come out, it's always got these little muddy cat prints all over the seat (and sometimes on the side as well). I'm getting tired of having to wipe it off every time I want to ride (and I'm thinking of getting a Corbin seat and REALLY don't want the little bast**d sitting on that). It's far worse if the weather is wet but it even happens when it's dry. At times the paw prints are very simple to get off, at other times I really have to scrub.

So - my question is, has anyone else had anything like this happen and does anyone have any suggestions to keep him off the bike (he also occasionally climbs on my Honda seat but seems to prefer the Spyder)?

I know, I could try to shoot it but since I actually LIKE the cat (we have four indoor ones of our own and genuinely like cats) and since I don't own a gun that makes it a non-option (even if I had one and WANTED to shoot it, I'm such a bad shot I'd likely miss and "shoot my eye out" instead). :yikes:

So, like I said, a weird question, but I'm hoping that with the collective wisdom here someone may have an answer that doesn't involve bodily harm to said cat (though there are some days I'm thinking that's a viable option). :banghead:

Gary

Just wanted you to know we feel your pain. Our cat does the same thing and have tried to yell at her and keep her out, we even put a travel cover on it and she still manages to get up into the seat. I have to give her credit, she knows a comfortable place but yes, the stock seat does sure attract cat paw prints. We are constantly using a chammy to wipe it down and put it back to showroom appearance. This is what we get for country life. At least it is OUR cat---I do not appreciate neighbors who cannot be responsible and care enough to take care of THEIR pets. Sorry you have to go through this. You aren't alone for sure. ;)

ARCTIC
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Buy a enclosed trailer and use it instead of a temporary shelter. No puddy tats allowed!!!!

bruiser
05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
SSSCAT. It's by PetSafe. It's a motion sensor activated can of compressed air. The sound and blast of air scares the cat away. Set it on the seat and when the cat climbs on the seat PSSSSSSSTTTTT. Works great. Safe for the cat and the Spyder. Check at Pet Smart.

Woody
05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Cardboard with double sided tape on it - the sticky kind. Or just staple some duct tape onto cardboard, sticky side up.

SpyderAnn01
05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I was on my way home from Spyderfest on my brand new Spyder and when I went out to the hotel parking lot I had cat prints on my seat. :gaah:

bruiser
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM

My kitty wants to sit on your Spyder.

spydercatjohn
05-20-2013, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=GMac;625461]...so bear with me.

Gary[/QUO

Your cat will be your best defense against rats. A rat chewed my truck wires causing $1400 damage. The cat was in the house. Next night outside he got the rat. We put a mat and sheet over the seat to prevent paw prints and claw marks.

retirednick
05-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I am having good sucess with aluminum foil. The cats do not like the feel of it at all.

JCSMOKE
05-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Get a dog, train it to sit on your seat when you are not riding it, cat will stay away.

DR Buck
05-21-2013, 05:18 AM
You will soon find the cat is the least of your problems. Those little "shed/tent" things are for temporary use and attract all kinds of crawlie things. When the weather turns cold, damp and wet, spiders, bugs, mice and worse will hang out there. Give a mouse one week with your spyder and you could have hundreds of $$$$$$ if not more in electrical wire damage. Wasp, and spiders will build nest up in the crevices and air intake areas.

Shoot the cat, (:joke:) then store your Spyder in a hard enclosure, garage or shed.

ulflyer
05-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Throw an old towel or small blanket on the seat and let the cat enjoy his nap. My cats love the sheepskin on mine...no big deal.

POPEYEART
05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
TRY SOME PAINTERS OR MASKING TAPE, MAKE A LOOP WITH THE STICKY SIDE OUT, PLACE IT WHERE YOUR 4 FOOTED FRIENDLIKES TO SIT AND THIS SHOULD DO THE TRICK.THE TAPE WONT HURT THE CAT, BUT THEY WILL NOT LIKE GETTING IT STUCK ON THEM:clap:

Flanker
05-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Sounds to me like you need a Guard Cat to keep the other cats outta the shelter and off the ride!. Just so happens I know one; lot of security experience in The Stan, doesn't put up with any of that "Old Home Cats" enticement **** from other cats either. Only real "potential" downside is his aim can be a bit off if he's been drinking, but .22 caliber holes in plastic aren't that hard to patch anyway................little bit of duct tape of your color choice and you're back on the road! :ohyea:Throw in a liberal "cat treat" allowance and he'll live in the shelter! http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z139/FlankerDFR/AKtheGuardCat_zpsc3deb863.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/FlankerDFR/media/AKtheGuardCat_zpsc3deb863.jpg.html)

CyncySpyder
05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Not sure if you have an RS/ST or RT but we have the travel cover for Teds Red Sled which is an RT-S and it would work well for keeping your unwelcomed kitty from perching on your Spyders seat. Only takes about 2 minutes to put on or take off and it stuffs back into its own storage sack & easily stows away in one of the compartments. Also works great when traveling and you need to leave your Spyder unattended for a few hours, as it covers the front, dash, handlebars and seat so no one can easily mess with anything or even sit on it, unless they go through the obvious to remove the cover. Maybe a worthwile investment, and a win win for everybody :thumbup:

H.L.Spyder Guy
05-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Lucky for you it's only a cat! I have a 180 Lb St. Bernard that thinks the spyder is his chair. I don't have a pic on this phone but I have a pic on face book (Chris Kohnen) sitting on my Spyder in the garage

Gordy
05-21-2013, 08:20 AM
be carful what you sprinkle on the seat after a few miles slim and the twins may want off too:shocked:

donec
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Put a pillow or something like it on the ground and rub some cat nip on it then the cat may lay there instead of on your spyder.

ARtraveler
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
The pepper idea is good. No harm done to anyone from that.

Littlebadwolf
05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Mud prints I can tolerate...but when they start spraying I get really upset and send the dogs out. I've had tons of stuff totally ruined from cats spraying them.

GMac
05-21-2013, 04:17 PM
There are some great suggestions here - and I'm going to try them until I find one that works!!

I'm going with the cayenne pepper first simply because it's easy and I have some in the cabinet. Like I said, I have no desire to hurt the cat, just discourage him. If the pepper doesn't work, I'll start working my way down the list with some of the other suggestions.

Thanks again!!
Gary

jerpinoy
05-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I learned from my best friend chewey (dog) he marked his territory well. Get the idea?:yes::yes::yes:

Bob Ledford
05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
cats have staff and dogs have owners. Your ignoring the cat and kitty will wi get yourself some of Mr Honda's Spray wax and some cheap microfiber towels and. Polish detail before riding eventually you will have a sinfully slick machine and Kitty will find a new place to nap. Or get yourself a big old ratty blanket and rub it on your neighbors horse, dog and billy goat then cover the Spyder up!

doctorlbug
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
The tin foil is a great way to start, but a box of moth crystals in a box put on the seat will also work. As far a keeping rodents out, try glue boards under the Spyder baited with peanut butter you might also catch a cat, but it wont hurt them, only cause a sticky mess of the cat.

CATastrophe
05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
I didn't read every post, but this will work and it's cheap and simple: Get some of the plastic carpet protector. It comes on a big roll at Lowes or other home place. It has little points that keep it from sliding on the carpet. Put it pointy side up to keep kitty off. I used this for large potted plants and other places I don't want them. Works well.