PDA

View Full Version : Slipping clutch on 2011 RS SE5

blambert
05-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Folks,

Been hitting the twistys in Bryce Canyon and the surrounding Utah mountains and I notice that my 1st and 2nd gear is slipping. I have the semiautomatic paddle shifter. Coming hard into turns and down shifting into 1st or 2nd the downshift takes a few seconds to engage and then grabs sometimes spining the rear tire in the middle of the turn at high speed- kinda scary also when going up hill especially in when shifting into second it slips then catchs. I only notice when I'm riding hard in the mountains. On normal street use I dont feel it as often. Checked oil level and all seems good - Any ides before I bring it to the shop?

Thanks

Lambo

Jeriatric
05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Slipping, yet having strong enough clutch engagement to spin the tire doesn't make sense.

How's your oil level? Sounds like cavitation. Last oil & filter change was how many miles ago?

boborgera
05-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Sounds like your down shifting at too high a speed, And the tyranny won't let it go in till the engine slows down enough. Similar to a car auto, Drop it in first at speed and it won't engage till the engine slows down and then when it does it will sometimes spin the tires...

Frank G
06-08-2013, 05:17 AM
I have a 2911 RS SE5 with 4000 miles. Last Oil change at 2800 miles, with BRP summer blend, oil at proper level. Started noticing this same slippage between 1st and 2nd and some between 2nd and 3rd. Shifting is done under moderate power and between 6000 and 7000 RPM's.

The shifts used to be chrisp and clean. Now after the shift, there is a short (less than second) slippage before locking in.:banghead:

Any one else with these issues??:helpsmilie:

Not Hijacking this thread, same issues.

szohar
06-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I noticed something similar numerous time in the last two days.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd at 4000 RPM the engine is almost cutting off on me and then engaging after a strange kick.

NancysToy
06-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I noticed something similar numerous time in the last two days.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd at 4000 RPM the engine is almost cutting off on me and then engaging after a strange kick.

If you make the upshift at 4K (dropping to 3K) the Spyder will hesitate, especially with the latest update. The rpm has to be 3,500 or preferably higher after the shift to avoid clutch damage on an SE.

blambert
06-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm dropping the bike off tomorrow at powerride sports. On my 2011 RS Se5 The issue is when I down shift from 2nd to 1st at high rpm the rpms drop like the engine is shutting down and then takes the gear unexpectly. Going into turn with an a delay clutch grap is quite scary. I'm using the downshifting to control my speed into a sharp turn with high rpms. This should not happen. I also have gear clutch slip from 1st to 2nd when shift at 6k rpm and higher

sergentwoody
06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I also have gear clutch slip from 1st to 2nd when shift at 4500-5000k rpm and higher

blambert
06-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Shop sayes there is nothing wrong with the clutch and that I'm spinning my back tire from to much power going from 1st to 2nd. I don't feel the tire spinning but they have video proof they want to show me tomorrow. I have a power commander, hindle exhaust, kewl metal air intake, Baja Ron plugs and wires and run premium gas. I have to see the video to believe it. Still skeptical.

myronmathis
06-13-2013, 02:07 PM
My RS-S shut down in the process of riding, and now it wont start. I saw on youtube the problem but there was not a solution associated with it. when I turn the key on the neutral N is flashing along with the reverse R and where the gear is displayed there is an E which I would say is for error. Does anyone know what this problem is and what can I do to repair it?

myronmathis
06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
I have an automatic and have had the same slippage between 2nd and 3rd and also down shifting from 4th to 3rd.

blambert
06-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Well I was breaking the tire loose from going flat out from 1st into 2nd and when I hit it hard in second gear the rear tire is breaking loose, yet I had no side to side movement with the tire breaking loose - so I have to not have it full wide open from first to second because of having too much power to the rear tire. In regards to down shift delay at high RPM I spoke to the tech at RideNow Power sports and he stated that the electronics of the Spyder protect the engine if I'm going to high a RPM when downshifting to first and that I need to brake more and use less downshifting especially at high speed and high RPM into 1st gear. That will be a change of riding style since I very rarely brake going into high speed turns but downshift from one gear to another to control speed into the turn and then at the apex having the right gear for a power exit out.

Frank G
06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
I have a 2911 RS SE5 with 4000 miles. Last Oil change at 2800 miles, with BRP summer blend, oil at proper level. Started noticing this same slippage between 1st and 2nd and some between 2nd and 3rd. Shifting is done under moderate power and between 6000 and 7000 RPM's.

The shifts used to be chrisp and clean. Now after the shift, there is a short (less than second) slippage before locking in.:banghead:

Any one else with these issues??:helpsmilie:

Not Hijacking this thread, same issues.

Added oil from the low point on the dip stick to the high point and the apparent slippage issues went away.:yes: Wow... I have read hear that oil levels were critical but this is insane. Oh well we'll keep it on the full side and ryde on.:bowdown: Going to use Amsoil on the next change, we.ll see.

Jeriatric
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Added oil from the low point on the dip stick to the high point and the apparent slippage issues went away.:yes: Wow... I have read hear that oil levels were critical but this is insane. Oh well we'll keep it on the full side and ryde on.:bowdown: Going to use Amsoil on the next change, we.ll see.

The SE 5 has a separate oil pump for the shifting actuator. It draws oil directly from the oil tank. If oil level is to low the pump will cavitate. May shift fine at lower speeds and little G force, but in turns or when braking or accelerating oil may move away from the oil pickup. This is why oil level is so important to the SE 5.tol