PDA

View Full Version : Some chugging at low RPM's

Rockwall
05-19-2013, 07:51 PM
I have a new 2012 RS SM5 with under 200 miles on it. I had a Two Brothers pipe and Juice Box installed. It purrs beautifully at anything over 3,000 rpm, but chugs a bit in 2nd or 3rd gear when I approach a stop and the rpm's drop to around 2,500. Does this sound normal for a higher rpm machine or does the Juice Box need an adjustment perhaps?

Arr MiHardies
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a new 2012 RS SM5 with under 200 miles on it. I had a Two Brothers pipe and Juice Box installed. It purrs beautifully at anything over 3,000 rpm, but chugs a bit in 2nd or 3rd gear when I approach a stop and the rpm's drop to around 2,500. Does this sound normal for a higher rpm machine or does the Juice Box need an adjustment perhaps?

I'd recommend a change in riding habits.
When your rpms drop below 4000, Id recommend shifting down. especially when coming to a stop. Shift down as you slow down, not once you've stopped. If something is coming up on you from any direction, you want that extra power granted by being in the correct gear to get out of the way quickly.

SPYD1
05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree. Besides Spyders don't like low rpms.

Arr MiHardies
05-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I agree. Besides Spyders don't like low rpms.

No.. no they don't.

missouriboy
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
I'd recommend a change in riding habits.
When your rpms drop below 4000, Id recommend shifting down. especially when coming to a stop. Shift down as you slow down, not once you've stopped. If something is coming up on you from any direction, you want that extra power granted by being in the correct gear to get out of the way quickly."Correct gear" at any/every speed is highly stressed in the basic motorcycle riding course, for exactly the reason given above. I have the SE5 which automatically downshifts at 2500 rpm, but I've gotten into the habit of manually downshifting at much higher rpm all the time now. You get a lot more engine braking, so it takes a lot less pedal-braking at stop signs. And I assume it's better for the clutch, to stay above the "lockup" point as much as possible?

Rockwall
05-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am a new rider and still learning the ropes. Proper shifting is coming with time to me.

SpyderWolf
05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am a new rider and still learning the ropes. Proper shifting is coming with time to me.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out the following thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346

Hope it will help some along with the other advice you have been given so far.

can-am sam
05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
The chugging is the engine lugging. As mentioned before keep the rpms at 4000 or higher. When upshifting the engine loves to rev. Do not be afraid to shift at higher rpms. It will shift faster and smoother at 4500 or higher rpms.

napper39
05-20-2013, 03:33 PM
dont let it chug as you call it shift dowen as you come to a stop it should be in loe just as you stop,if you feel it do what you said pull in the clutch and shift to a lower gear.you will damage the engine to lug it.like already said 4000 t0 5000 rpm most all the time in each gear will make your spyder love you,.now ride with the wind and have fun.:2thumbs:

Bob Ledford
05-20-2013, 04:15 PM
It would be so nice if the dealers selling Spyder's would go a head. And spend the $.25 or $1 to print up some copies of ."Illinois😂Bob's new rider info sheet a nd give it to new riders to read an review. Might just keep the warranty rate of occur acne down some.

Rockwall
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks again everybody for your help. The Spyder is a different machine for sure and it would certainly be nice if either the dealers or the Can Am manual would address these issues.