PDA

View Full Version : OK, I lied :P , added something to dash... input-- good/bad?

Riker
05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi, after staring at things some more, I got another wild hair. I seen this phone mount on a TV commercial and thought, hummm... So below is what I come up with. Because of the way things are leveraged, there is very little chance of it coming off. The only thing I did to the bike, was put a small piece of Velcro on the dash to prevent from sliding side to side. But where it sticks on the windshield, it has constant pressure against it to hold because of the leverage of the arm and the Nexus7 on the end of it. I think it looks pretty clean. I put a safety string on the arm and the joint that connects to the device ( the suction bracket which holds VERY SECURE )....6836468365 Just wanted to add a night shot to show how cool it looks. Sorry about quality...68865

SPYD1
05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
You are creative...nice job.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Interesting... :thumbup:
The safety string is a good idea until some confidence has been earned... :2thumbs:
Please let us know how it "holds" up!

Riker
05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
So far it is holding up great. It does vibrate some, but not like I am trying to look at it as driving. I will find some tubing of different sizes and slip over the edges to get it to rest on the windshield to limit the vibration. But even then, the mini suction cup thingy's:p are doing their job, so to speak :) I have done 2 test rides now of about 10 and 30 minutes and perfect results. But as you said, I need to give it some time to trust it, lol, keep waiting for it to drop, but I really don't see how it can, unless I hit a massive pothole that bounces me as well.... will update:thumbup:

JCSMOKE
05-19-2013, 07:18 PM
I for one would like you to be stopped before you log into Spyderlovers with that set up.

Riker
05-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I for one would like you to be stopped before you log into Spyderlovers with that set up.

haha, no worries... wifi only, although I guess I could connect it to my phone... Mainly did it for coolness factor and ability to change music easily while riding.

SpyderWolf
05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I like the set up. Good job with that, and best of luck with it holding up as well. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Gee... :shocked:

Maybe if I got myself one of those; I'd actually be able to put a post or two in this place... :shocked:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Is "posting and driving" a crime?

SpyderWolf
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Gee... :shocked:

Maybe if I got myself one of those; I'd actually be able to put a post or two in this place... :shocked:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
Is "posting and driving" a crime?

No, it is a challenge! :roflblack:

wyliec
05-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Riker,

Could you give me some info for what appears to be a RAM mount on the left side of the handle bars.

Thanks

Chupaca
05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
looks great and from what you say works well..now Bob can post on the run...:roflblack:

Riker
05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Riker,

Could you give me some info for what appears to be a RAM mount on the left side of the handle bars.

Thanks

It is the one from BRP for the Spyder RS... http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/631112/219400331/_/GPS_Support

ARCTIC
05-20-2013, 05:23 PM
haha, no worries... wifi only, although I guess I could connect it to my phone... Mainly did it for coolness factor and ability to change music easily while riding.

If you have a smartphone you could enable a wifi hotspot :ohyea:

Riker
05-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Just to give a quick follow up... There was vibration from some crappy roads that tend to kick it and it would tilt the tablet ( the mount was fine ). The ball joint where the Nexus7 connected is not tight enough to hold on a good kick. So today I put 2 pieces of Velcro on the windshield where it rests. I only had time for a 5 minute run ( rain ). But it held very well with little noticeable movement. Will need to test some more...... to be continued ;)

lookerjdc
05-23-2013, 05:42 AM
nice work

I have ram ball mounts all over my dash area that I use for various things: I just add arms of various lengths, x-grips, etc, depending on what I want to mount for various rides:

MrLooney
05-23-2013, 06:32 AM
I am a little concerned about the LEO questioning it being there... many states have a law for "Obstruction of Vision" through the windshield... anything in viewing angles of the eye to the windshield perimeter would fall in this violation... Not to mention any movie screen visible to the driver can be a distraction and again a possible violation. Since I am not familiar with the details of the exact laws, maybe some one can chine in on this possible problem... I sure would hate to have to pay a fine for conveniences.

Bob Denman
05-23-2013, 06:53 AM
If you were running some sort of "MapQuest program; would that make a LEO more understainding about it being there? :dontknow:

MrLooney
05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
If you were running some sort of "MapQuest program; would that make a LEO more understainding about it being there? :dontknow:

That would depend a lot on how the LEO felt at the time. Some are not forgiving, The law is the law. And so they write the ticket. I guess the real question is = Ask the local LEO.

I once got a ticket for a cracked windshield in a cage. The crack was on the right side near the bottom. in no way could you see over the dash through the crack and over the hood of the cage, at it's lowest possible site line. Go figure, the LEO had it out for me that day. At that time there was no laws on the books that read all windshields had to be replace for any crack or chip like there are now in many states.

With time; Comes Changes.
The only thing that remains constant in this world........ CHANGE

Riker
05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
To be honest, I am 5'10" and when sitting on the Spyder, the Nexus is not in my direct line of site. I would have to look down, just as I would for the speedometer. Granted I don't have to look as far, but with my helmet on and looking forward, I barely see the top of it. Not sure if I can go by this, but last night I was running side by side with a cop, and we stopped next to each other twice. I looked over the second time and gave him a nod and he responded in kind.... time will tell. Been riding with it on constantly, and feel pretty comfortable that it will hold fine. I keep checking joints before I mount it, but only takes a second...... to be continued