PDA

View Full Version : 9 months of limp mode!!!!

Gunkandpudge
05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Since October last year I've had my 2010 RT in and out of the shop. Out of the shop for no more than two weeks. Either I've got a bad nanny or my spyder enjoys throwing codes and going into limp mode. I picked it up yesterday again, got within two miles of my house when once again limp mode. The code on this indicates it's my power steering, DPS.. But as usual the bike doesn't exhibit steering problems, just like when the codes showed other problems when the problems don't exist. So Tuesday I'm taking it back to the dealership. Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down. :banghead:

mcaccamise
05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems it sounds as if your dealer needs some words of wisdom if they cant figure out your problem maybe you should look into having a new shop look at it.
Buying a new bike from them may result in a bad setup at delivery time and would make your new spyder experience less than happy.
Mike

sjcpanther
05-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Very good point. Find another dealer.

spydercowboy
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Have you ever test rode from dealer to any other place than home and had it do the same. Reason I ask is maybe you got some electrical transmission lines close to home that are throwing out crazy energy. Just a thought.

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Wow, can empathize, I've had about 9 months of limp mode but that's due to my lousy right knee.

Arr MiHardies
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Since October last year I've had my 2010 RT in and out of the shop. Out of the shop for no more than two weeks. Either I've got a bad nanny or my spyder enjoys throwing codes and going into limp mode. I picked it up yesterday again, got within two miles of my house when once again limp mode. The code on this indicates it's my power steering, DPS.. But as usual the bike doesn't exhibit steering problems, just like when the codes showed other problems when the problems don't exist. So Tuesday I'm taking it back to the dealership. Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down. :banghead:

Low battery or loose battery connections can cause these codes.

MikeT
05-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Blogs like this really scare me. I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model. However, after reading quite a number of posts on this forum like this with computer issues, and the ones about all the hoops people have jumped thru to solve the heat issues, I'm beginning to think twice. My wife would absolutely shoot me if we got into limp mode while on one of our long trips. It doesn't help that the supposedly the highest rated dealer for both sales and service is 2-2.25 hours away from me. 6 years must be too short a time to have all the gremlins worked out.

Buttsy
05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Wife and I talked some and we think a new 2013 ST maybe the answer for us. Right now I cant trust the machine to go 20 miles without it shutting down. :banghead:

I have to give you credit if I had endured 9 months of "Limp Mode" and the dealer couldn't fix it...................not sure I would buy another one? I mean this thing is a 2010 after-all, not like its an "old beater"? Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Buttsy
05-19-2013, 08:44 PM
I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model.

There are definitely improvements on the 2013 but I would suggest nothing that was changed was changed to enhance reliability? So if you were only considering a 2013 because you felt the 2012 and prior had reliability issues, I would stick with the wing? Me personally, I have had a good go of it with a fantastic local dealer who "gets it" when it comes to the Spyder. Tough call, lots of ex-wingers on here ..........also lots of ex-Spyder guys on the wing forums? :dontknow: As above..............good luck!

Arr MiHardies
05-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Blogs like this really scare me. I've been considering going from a '09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike to a '13 RT-S or Limited because of all the improvements over the '12 model. However, after reading quite a number of posts on this forum like this with computer issues, and the ones about all the hoops people have jumped thru to solve the heat issues, I'm beginning to think twice. My wife would absolutely shoot me if we got into limp mode while on one of our long trips. It doesn't help that the supposedly the highest rated dealer for both sales and service is 2-2.25 hours away from me. 6 years must be too short a time to have all the gremlins worked out.

please note the OPs problem bike is a '10.. the first year the RT was available.

Edit: in addition a competent dealer and dealer setup will make or break your experience. There's no reason the OPs dealer shouldn't have found and fixed the problem by now.

MidLifeCrisis
05-19-2013, 10:00 PM
The new electronics on the 2010 RTs provided BRP with tons of challenges initially. They are as reliable as any other year now. Having continuous problems does tend to point to dealer ineptitude in most cases. Tons of issues have also been self inflicted. When I was initially on this forum, I almost talked myself out of a Spyder. Glad I didn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jthornton
05-20-2013, 06:17 AM
The dealer can make the difference.

I brought my RT-S in for steering problems and while the mechanic was hooking it up to BUDS the service manager was on the phone with BRP and got a list of things to check. It was the first on the list...

I ran into similar experiences with my GoldWing, local Honda dealer doesn't have a clue how to change a tire on a GL1800 and too proud to look in the service manual so they damaged my TPMS. Service manager was an idiot and used stick on weights that were "genuine aftermarket wheel weights" which won't work on a GL1800 rim anyway because they are not flat and touted "We use them on everything even Victory". To make a long story short I found a dealer that knew how to change a tire properly and used the correct weights. It cost me $350 to get my TPMS fixed and have both tires remounted properly and balanced.

JT

flaggerphil
05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
It certainly sounds like a dealer problem. It's this kind of stuff that caused me to "fire" a dealer 20 minutes from my house and start using one 65 miles away.

78OldRide
05-20-2013, 08:06 AM
I also have a 2010 RTS SE5 my problem was throttle body once replaced I have had no more Issues.
I agree dealed prep and good mechanics make a world of difference.
Gary

rabtech
05-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I can guarantee the problem is within your dealer. Boy could I tell you a story........

And yes the 2013 is a wonderful product. I have a 2013 RT Limited and a 2013 ST Limited. When I first bought the RT I had a lot of issues. (you can search for my old post if you want however just trust me you really don't want to. It will depress u)

My problem was steering and suspension and of course ball joints. I really wanted to give the dealer I purchased it from the benefit of the doubt. I even carried it to another dealer and they failed miserably. Finally got some help from a trained and well educated tech and it was fixed. And less than a month after I had the RT repaired I bought the ST. It has been perfect. AND my RT has also been flawless.

Someone on here can point you to another dealer. Explain to them what you have been thru and tell them what you expect. I can also say that this forum has some great people. I almost lost my cool and that would have been terrible because I have had so much fun on my Spyders. The members on here gave me hope thru nearly two months of having a new bike I couldn't ride.

Cruzr Joe
05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
The biggest problem that you are going to have is that the two closest dealers to you are owned and operated by the same people and the one in Pine Bluff is not any better. I traded out of state with Pitbull Powersports and so far i am very happy with their service, yes it is 225 mile away but i can ride there and back without breaking down, if you decide to trade, give Pitbull Powersports an opportunity to swap with you. Holler at me and i will bring my 2013 up for you to test drive, i am here in Bryant.

Cruzr Joe

Tx web rider
05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
i have a rs not a rt but i was getting similar ghost issues wouldn't happen for the dealer but after some 20 miles bam limp mode come to find out it was an aftermarket light i installed messing with the computer

if you have any electronic brake flasher or aux lights check that first

good luck

Jeriatric
05-20-2013, 10:47 AM
The new electronics on the 2010 RTs provided BRP with tons of challenges initially. They are as reliable as any other year now. Having continuous problems does tend to point to dealer ineptitude in most cases. Tons of issues have also been self inflicted. When I was initially on this forum, I almost talked myself out of a Spyder. Glad I didn't.

:agree:

All, to the point, and well said.

Heat can be a problem but mostly above 100 degrees ambient. Unfortunately it's still a problem. Very unfortunate, indeed. nojoke

Chupaca
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
That the best way to report the qualities of these machines was by bitching and moaning...:roflblack: This site would be full up with the good side. Goldwings have been around for some 37 years so they have had time to sort things out..you think..?? I worked on them for 27 of those years and they were no better than the roadsters. The key...good dealers with good can am mechanics. Multi-brand dealers to many time stress on the big sellers. Good luck on your future adventures hope to see you three wheeling still..!! :ohyea:

flybuddy
05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

I had 2 wings prior to my 2012. I researched before buying an RT and had the same feelings you do but took the "risk". I had to resolve the heat issue and this forum was a great help and I knew that going into it. My first visit to a dealer was Pitbull during the Fest a year and 10K after purchase (all they did was update my software). The vast majority of owners have trouble free experiences and don't get online much to state that BUT if you throw a code or have a dealer issue, you can read about it on 3 forums. Bottom line don't let reliability scare you off, Can Ams are dependable and have excellent warranties honored throughout the country.

ARtraveler
05-20-2013, 01:20 PM
It does sound like the OP has problems with the dealer not being able to fix an issue on the 2010. I also recommend a change of dealers.

Let us know how this all works out. :thumbup:

Gunkandpudge
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
It does sound like the OP has problems with the dealer not being able to fix an issue on the 2010. I also recommend a change of dealers.

Let us know how this all works out. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering PitBull if I go the trade-in route. My bike never had a problem till I had the bike set up to use the 622 trailer. The local dealer did indicate that the problem initially was their fault. But the bike has never worked correctly since. The latest problem code is the DPS, power steering. But as usual the steering is working fine. So tomorrow AM in it goes again. :banghead:

MidLifeCrisis
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Sounds like the trailer harness is a good place to start the troubleshooting.

JKMSPYDER
05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
If your dealer can't fix it this time let Pitbull have a go at it. I would imagine if it was running perfectly, you wouldn't be considering a 2013.

Gunkandpudge
05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
If your dealer can't fix it this time let Pitbull have a go at it. I would imagine if it was running perfectly, you wouldn't be considering a 2013.

If the bike was performing correctly I would not be considering a trade-in. Took the Spyder back to the dealer this AM. It went into limp mode three times on the 28 mile trip. All I would do is pull over to the side of the road, turn off the Spyder and wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and away I went. About a 1/2 mile from the dealership I was sitting still waiting for the light to change. Just sitting there it went into limp mode. I drove the 1/2 mile to the dealership and left the bike running at the front door showing faults of :no power steering, no ABS, No oil, check engine, etc! I'm assuming they are on the phone with BRP since they haven't a clue. :banghead:

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
If you needed a heart transplant would you go to a particular doctor if you sensed he/she wasn't up to the task. If you have no confidence in the dealer and their service department. Go elsewhere. Really.

MidLifeCrisis
05-21-2013, 01:52 PM
If all of these issues started after installing the trailer harness, it would make sense to look there. There's tons more to the harness than trailer lights. The trailer actually works right along with the bike and interacts with all of the listed systems. If you go into a slide with the trailer attached, the ABS and traction control, etc work to get you going straight on the trailer too.

Either they didn't make the connection properly, or moisture is getting in and driving the system crazy. That's where I would start looking anyway. Just my two cents...

Gunkandpudge
05-26-2013, 05:06 PM
If you needed a heart transplant would you go to a particular doctor if you sensed he/she wasn't up to the task. If you have no confidence in the dealer and their service department. Go elsewhere. Really.

Got my Spyder back yesterday afternoon. What they found after talking to BRP was a loose ground located in the very front of the bike. They had to remove the entire front of the bike to get into it. They found that this ground was very loose, four complete turns to tighten it. They kept the bike for an additional three days test riding it on expressways and on two lane roads. It never threw another code. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and rode it back to the house without problems.. Wife and I went for a 50 mile ride last night and today I put 100+ on it. The Spyder ran great. I hope this was the answer.Anyway my Spyder is home and warm and dry in the garage. :yes:

NancysToy
05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Got my Spyder back yesterday afternoon. What they found after talking to BRP was a loose ground located in the very front of the bike. They had to remove the entire front of the bike to get into it. They found that this ground was very loose, four complete turns to tighten it. They kept the bike for an additional three days test riding it on expressways and on two lane roads. It never threw another code. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and rode it back to the house without problems.. Wife and I went for a 50 mile ride last night and today I put 100+ on it. The Spyder ran great. I hope this was the answer.Anyway my Spyder is home and warm and dry in the garage. :yes:
:thumbup: Glad to hear you finally made some progress.

Gunkandpudge
05-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Why would you buy another Spyder given your history with this one? Haven't heard one complaint from my friends who are on Honda Trikes. I can't understand why you'd set yourself up for more trouble with a Spyder?

Well the question is mute, since the Spyder is fixed. But why would I consider another spyder vs any other trike. I like the look and feel of the Spyder. I have plenty of friends who have trike conversions on Honda and other bikes. They are not without their problems either including one trike whose rear wheels came off at 50 mph. These are toys for us to enjoy. Real problems, try owning a class A motor home. Been rving for 30 years...house never meant to move on a vehicle ever meant to carry a house. :yikes:

Bob Denman
05-26-2013, 10:37 PM
A loose ground... :shocked:
Glad to hear that once it was found; things are looking better for you guys! :ohyea:

Jeriatric
05-26-2013, 11:00 PM

:thumbup: :doorag: Dr., Dr,.....Mr. Md......ya got me fixed and now I'm free :clap:

Have a great summer.

Madincalif
05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I am considering PitBull if I go the trade-in route. My bike never had a problem till I had the bike set up to use the 622 trailer. The local dealer did indicate that the problem initially was their fault. But the bike has never worked correctly since. The latest problem code is the DPS, power steering. But as usual the steering is working fine. So tomorrow AM in it goes again. :banghead:

This sounds like what happened to me not long ago.........hooked up the electrical for the 622 trailer and my 2010 rt-s went crazy, throwing all kinds of codes. Long story short.....The trailer electrical line had a short in it and blew the brake light fuse. Put a new fuse in it and no more problem. Amazing how something so simple can cause so much havoc!

Huntindawg1962
05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Real problems, try owning a class A motor home. Been rving for 30 years...house never meant to move on a vehicle ever meant to carry a house. :yikes:

Ya - no kidding on this here comment ! Motor homes are DOUBLE the fun. You get to maintain both vehicle systems AND house systems. Large boats are the same too with maintaining marine engine systems and propulsion systems - and the same house systems as the motorhome.

beanoil
05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Glad it's fixed. I had a similar problem on a Buick I had. Bad ground at the transmission, multiple faults, TC light, and gauges would quit working. Computers are no more than digital counters, they have to have 0 on ground, so that the high is clean. Voltage on ground, or no ground as a reference point is bad, and makes them flake out. I'm very lucky, my 2012 has had zero problems, even to the point of riding home today in a gulley washer.. She just kept on ticking. I rode almost 600 miles last week....

BajaRon
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Why would you buy another Spyder given your history with this one? Haven't heard one complaint from my friends who are on Honda Trikes. I can't understand why you'd set yourself up for more trouble with a Spyder?

You have a few friends with Honda Trikes and comparing that to the thousands of posters here on Spyderlovers? Not a fair comparison. Go to one of the Honda trike web forums and see what you find there.

I am not saying that issues are not something to be concerned about. But consider the nature of a forum like this. It is primarily a support structure. You don't need support if your Spyder is running well. Many post here only when they are experiencing problems and these posts usually have long legs as the issue gets worked out. All of this tends to magnify problems making them appear more prominent than they actually are.

As for the problem and the fix, I agree with those that said the dealer should have been able to correct this much more quickly than they did. The problem was minor. It was the dealerships inexperience that made it a major issue. The fix is not a surprising one and would have been picked up quickly. An unfortunate black eye on the Spyder.

Congratulations and I hope you have many miles of trouble free enjoyment! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM

Cause Spyders are more fun than Honda Trikes

But you allready knew that didn't you :thumbup: