PDA

View Full Version : 2008 sm5 dies

hondaman
05-19-2013, 03:12 PM
My 2008 spyder has 31,000 miles.,when you start it it will start and run for less than 1 second then dies.on second start will start and run perfect.did it a couple times a week .now about every time.once it it running it never dies again.I did have the key break out of the ignition last fall.got it out and using the spare.not shure if it's related.I have a new battery this spring and cables are tight.I searched around and didn't find anything on my problem.I'm thinking the imoblizer isn't reading correctly at startup.

NancysToy
05-19-2013, 03:48 PM
My first thoughts would run to bad fuel, a fuel delivery problem, or bad plugs or plug wires. It will take a good, old-fashioned mechanic to track it down...possibly through trial and error. A visit to your dealer might be a good place to start, if you have a talented technician. Beyond that, I'd try things in this order:

1. Marine Stabil or Seafoam in fuel
2. Replace fuel filter
3. Replace plugs and wires (preferably with BajaRon's products)

hondaman
05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
My first thoughts would run to bad fuel, a fuel delivery problem, or bad plugs or plug wires. It will take a good, old-fashioned mechanic to track it down...possibly through trial and error. A visit to your dealer might be a good place to start, if you have a talented technician. Beyond that, I'd try things in this order:

1. Marine Stabil or Seafoam in fuel
2. Replace fuel filter
3. Replace plugs and wires (preferably with BajaRon's products)
My dealer can't keep a mechanic and they still can't fix my power steering lol. I have ran 5 + tanks through it.I have a filter I can put on it.I'm thinking it's electrical it's like I hit the kill switch.no sputter ,nothing.just dies.I hate trying to find a intermittent problem.....

NancysToy
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
My dealer can't keep a mechanic and they still can't fix my power steering lol. I have ran 5 + tanks through it.I have a filter I can put on it.I'm thinking it's electrical it's like I hit the kill switch.no sputter ,nothing.just dies.I hate trying to find a intermittent problem.....

Yep, intermittent problems can be a bear! Other possibilities...bad kill switch, water in the kill switch, or bad DESS unit. Could also be a loose connection in that area. Best of luck in your search. BTW, a resonably good tech with BUDS can sort through a few of these possibilities using BUDS. Sorry you don't have a good one.

hondaman
07-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Found the problem,it was electrical.the ground wire where it attaches to the frame was a little loose.cleaned and tightened drove 1,000 miles no more problems :-)

Big Arm
07-06-2013, 10:40 PM
:congrats: :clap:

Bob Denman
07-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Glad to hear that the problem was findable, and fixable! :thumbup:

Chupaca
07-07-2013, 10:26 AM
another story with a happy ending..love these just a little exchange of ideas and a solution. May you have another 30+ hassle free..!! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
07-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for posting that you got the problem solved. :thumbup: