PDA

View Full Version : LIFTING AN ST FOR OIL CHANGE

JKMSPYDER
05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I will be doing my first oil change myself soon on my ST-S. I have an ATV lift but want to make sure I lift the Spyder correctly and do it on the proper side or front. Has anyone used an ATV lift to lift an ST for an oil change yet? Do you have pics you could post? I don't know whether to lift from the left side, right side, or front. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!68353

joet82
05-19-2013, 11:55 AM
I have an RS, and granted, I was on a driveway with an angle, but I would just put the ATV jack under the truck, lifting it by the frame till the Spyder was even. the rear tire would still be on the ground. haven't done one with a level driveway yet, but that's how I have done mine in the past.

rc51ny
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Not an ST, but RT-I just drive the fronts up on ramps and change the oil that way. Works GREAT!:lecturef_smilie:

1VENOM
05-19-2013, 04:18 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Unless you have a bad set of knees, or a bad back you should be able to do the oil change without lifting. The drains and filter are on the left side with no drains on the bottom. A standard oil drain pan will fit without lifting and why take the chance of lifting when its not required.

joet82
05-19-2013, 05:01 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Unless you have a bad set of knees, or a bad back you should be able to do the oil change without lifting. The drains and filter are on the left side with no drains on the bottom. A standard oil drain pan will fit without lifting and why take the chance of lifting when its not required.
lifting the Spyder will give a couple inches so that you can remove the bolts while having the drain pan under them and in turn not getting any oil on the ground...depending on the oil pan.

JKMSPYDER
05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Venom, both the oil tank drain and the engine drain are located on the bottom of my ST-S. The clearance is so low that I have to raise the Spyder to get to them.

pro10is
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I've never needed to lift my Spyder to do an oil change but that said lifting it would ease access to the drains.

Check this new item from a Spyderlover sponsor for lifting the Spyder. I'm going to order one soon myself:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52835-New-Spyder-Lift-by-Diamond-R

Frank G
05-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Unless things have changed, don't forget to clean the oil screen in the oil tank, and grease the front A arm bushings. When I took mine in for the 600 mile check and informed the dealer I had changed the oil and filters they acted a little upset and wrote on the service report "Customer refused oil change":banghead: Haven't been back since.:mad:

ulflyer
06-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Jim....on my RT I use a car type jack from Harbor Freight ($80), the ones you roll under that have a single long handle and jack up each wheel putting blocks I made out of 2 X 8 wood under each wheel. This gives me lots of room for working under with no danger of it dropping. I think an ATV lift might block some of the drain plugs but not sure.
If you feel up to a ride down Lexington way I'd be glad to have you do your first one in my shed. Its set up for this and I have all the tools you need. I'm retired so week days are best but we could do it on a saturday if thats best for you. PM if interested.69169

clueless
06-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Huh ... you are using the Jack with the two cross bars ... roll until back bar is just in front of driver foot peg. Front bar is under frame.

It will lift straight up. Use three car Jack stands. One under rear suspension at bottom of shock. The the other two stands one on each side. Where steering bar and arm come together just inside of front tires. Where point of a is If that makes sense. Then lower spyder onto Jack stands.