PDA

View Full Version : Rain, nothing to do so I start cutting holes in my windshield

StanProff
05-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Well, I jumped in feet first. The '13 RT's have vent holes in the shield to help with the buffetting. At least that is what I've been told. Although I haven't been bothered by it much I thought I would cut mine out to match the new one's. After cutting the sheild down to better suit me I thought these little holes wouldn't be a problem. after all, a jig saw made short work of the sheild and it was not bad.
Well, cutting these holes are a different matter. I have one cut and about 80% sanded. took a couple of hours. I may end up removing the shield to get the "Bevel" on the back of the cut. Anyway If it hadn't been for the rain I would have been out riding and not gotten myself into this. :banghead: It will work out o.k. but it'll take a little more work than I thought. :gaah:68329683306833168332 couldn't get the pic to turn
upright.

UPDATE: GOT IT 90% DONE AND ROAD TESTED! I'll try to post more pics. Here's how to treat the Dremals heat stroke!

Grandpa Spyder
05-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Let us know how that works out for you.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Isn't it odd how the lack of riding can affect us? :shocked:
I noticed a difference when I switched to the '13 shield... and it was stressful enough to just change it!

SPYD1
05-19-2013, 07:15 AM
You are gutsy!

StanProff
05-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Isn't it odd how the lack of riding can affect us? :shocked:
I noticed a difference when I switched to the '13 shield... and it was stressful enough to just change it!

I notice some buffeting with the shield in the lowest position. I cut it down a while back because I like to look over it instead of through it at times. Also it allows more air to get to me in hot weather. It still goes high enough to block the cold and rain if needed. I am 5'7" and the 2010 shield was about 3 inches to high for me with it in the lowest position. I my dremel tool is doing o.k. to cut it but the biggest thing is the sanding to smooth it out. Maybe the second hole will be easier. I'll get it done tonight. The sun is out now and I may run down the road to see if it is down to a "Half-buffet" with Jimmy Buffet on the radio I may not need to cut the other one :roflblack:.

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 07:24 AM
I cut this vent into a stock BRP sport screen. Easier to get at than where you're cutting. I drew the template with the windshield mounted but removed it for the cut. Thankfully the windshields go on and off fairly easy (and you get to clean the backside).

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Sparks,
Some sort of vent structure might not be too effective: you've got the windshield bracketry that sits right below the 'shield, so any re-directed airflow is going to get re-RE-directed by that as well... :shocked:

StanProff
05-19-2013, 07:37 AM
StanProff, based on your post and pics I think I may just follow you jumping off the abyss ...

I would like to try to fabricate some kind of vent structure to fit into the holes (wonder what made me think of that?)

The key is having a good Dremal tool and plenty of little cutting blades and little polishing attachments for it before jumping. I wish mine was not a cordless dremal. it over heats and shuts down if it is overworked. I am thinking a corded type would be better and save time. Oh, wear a safety shield or something, the material flies everywhere. I didn't have a face shield so I grabbed one of my helmets with a face shield and put it on. Looked kinda funny I guess , make do with what you got :D. For the vent you might be able to buy an after market vent such as on a gold wing and place it higher in the sheild.

StanProff
05-19-2013, 07:43 AM
I cut this vent into a stock BRP sport screen. Easier to get at than where you're cutting. I drew the template with the windshield mounted but removed it for the cut. Thankfully the windshields go on and off fairly easy (and you get to clean the backside).

Did you do it for the cooling effect to get more air or to cut down on the buffetting? also what did you use to do your cutting? It looks smooth. what is the trick on removing the shield :dontknow:

Cavman
05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Look at a Foredom Flex Shaft tool. www.foredom.net (http://www.foredom.net)
I got one from Rio Grande some years ago, one made for them. They are Dremel tools on steroids. Rio Grande is the largest supplier of 'stuff' to the jewelry industry.
One of the nice things about a flex shaft tool is, that it can go in reverse.
If you get one, you will need a hanger thing for it.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Maybe not but it might look cool
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68344&d=1368967254
Sparks,
That's just "Too cool for School"! :2thumbs: :clap:

Sarge707
05-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Nice cut- Looks a lot like my CalSci 25" I cut down to 21 1/2 inches below.

StanProff
05-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Finished the cut on the holes, still got a little more sanding to do. took a test ride and believe it or not the wind buffeting has been 90% eliminated :shocked: I am suprised it made that much difference. I have ridden thousands of miles with my shield and know without a doubt where the buffetting takes place, lowest position with the wind on my helmet. In slow traffic it didn't matter but on the highway I would run it up a couple of inches to put it just over my head. Now I can leave it all the way down with very minimal effect on my helmet at highway speed. :yes: YeP! I'd do it again. The work was worth it.
683596836168360 Holes, Eye protection, first aid station for Dermal heat stroke.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 05:24 PM
...:shocked: I'd Hate to say that I told you so... ;) :thumbup:
Glad to hear that your results were the same as mine! :yes::ohyea:

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice cut- Looks a lot like my CalSci 25" I cut down to 21 1/2 inches below.

I have a CalSci also..I liked their vent so I cut same size and location on my summer sport screen. It does give some addl ventilation deflecting off of the glareshield (of course it moves higher when the screen goes up). It's value is in both buffeting reduction and adding positive pressure to the back of the screen. In rain, this greatly reduces the amount of backsplashing you get on the inside of the windshield.

YIRYDE
05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for completing this task and sharing the results. I just purchased a F4 windshield and will be taking it to a glass cutting shop to have the holes cut. I like the clarity and water beading of the F4 but I also want to minimize the buffeting.

Bob Denman
05-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Some pictures of this would be nice when you've got it back on the bike! :thumbup: