PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar question

danlnc
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I have a 2012 RS S and have no complaints. What will this heavy duty sway bar do for me.

SPYD1
05-17-2013, 06:08 PM
It will steady your ride in wind. It will help you corner flatter and improve handling. IMHO a must do.

Frank G
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
The :bowdown: BAJARON anti sway bar will be the best investment you will ever make on your Spyder. :2thumbs: :yes::yes::yes: Night and day difference Interstate driving, no more getting pushed around by wind turbulence. Cross winds, no problem. Cornering (WOW) flat and true.

Goblyn Gyrl
05-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I have been wondering this too specifically concerning the 2012 RSS with fox shocks only. With all these excellent reviews about the BajaRon Sway bar I WANT ONE! But all the reviews are for older models and the RT. My 2012 RSS feels great in corners and has no major issues with wind, I blow around a little bit but the Spyder does not budge. I have very minimal movement with side to side tipping with getting on/off or turning. I have very minimal body roll. I did the demo ride on a ST and did not like it as much as my RSS because I did not like the uneasiness with turns, I attribute this to the Fox shocks being better on the RSS. I have sat on older models or the RS and RT and they definitely have way more side to side tipping than mine. So, I think my RSS handles incredible but I would love for it to be even better especially for the low price of a sway bar. I have been reluctant to buy one because I am not sure if I will notice the difference that everyone else is getting. Will the sway bar help us RSS Ryders?

Blue Star
05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a 2012 RS S and have no complaints. What will this heavy duty sway bar do for me.

When I had my 2010 RS I felt the same way, as I had no complaints about the suspension. Then I bought a set of take-off 2012 RT shocks, and put them on. The change in handling was very noticeable, and made the way I rode much better. The only way you will know the difference is if you ride a RS with the RonBar installed. I know if the RonBar does half of what everyone says it will, you will be happy. I know I can't wait to put mine on.

kinggeek
05-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I have been wondering this too specifically concerning the 2012 RSS with fox shocks only. With all these excellent reviews about the BajaRon Sway bar I WANT ONE! But all the reviews are for older models and the RT. My 2012 RSS feels great in corners and has no major issues with wind, I blow around a little bit but the Spyder does not budge. I have very minimal movement with side to side tipping with getting on/off or turning. I have very minimal body roll. I did the demo ride on a ST and did not like it as much as my RSS because I did not like the uneasiness with turns, I attribute this to the Fox shocks being better on the RSS. I have sat on older models or the RS and RT and they definitely have way more side to side tipping than mine. So, I think my RSS handles incredible but I would love for it to be even better especially for the low price of a sway bar. I have been reluctant to buy one because I am not sure if I will notice the difference that everyone else is getting. Will the sway bar help us RSS Ryders?

Trust us you need one and YOU WILL LOVE IT!

NancysToy
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
If you are happy with the way your Spyder handles, why bother to modify it. I would say in that case you have no need for an aftermarket swaybar. Wanting it just because "everybody else has one" is silly...and a waste of money. Would you notice a difference with Ron's bar?...probably. Would it make you happy?...that is only for you to say. Follow your heart.

kinggeek
05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
If you are happy with the way your Spyder handles, why bother to modify it. I would say in that case you have no need for an aftermarket swaybar. Wanting it just because "everybody else has one" is silly...and a waste of money. Would you notice a difference with Ron's bar?...probably. Would it make you happy?...that is only for you to say. Follow your heart.

Being serious now, I do agree with what you said. I just know for me the BahaRon anti-swaybar was some of he best money I have spent on my Spyder. The difference on handling is truly amazing.

NancysToy
05-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Being serious now, I do agree with what you said. I just know for me the BahaRon anti-swaybar was some of he best money I have spent on my Spyder. The difference on handling is truly amazing.
Don't get me wrong...I have a BajaRon bar myself. It does just what I wanted it to do. It reduces the body roll (especially two-up) enough that I could soften the spring setting and get rid of some ride harshness. I'm a pretty active rider and use pretty good technique, so I may not have noticed a marked change in handling, but I did notice that it lets me be "lazier", and not work as hard shifting my weight in the corners. The Spyder went from "tight" to pretty neutral in the corners, requiring some adjustment in technique, but it is predictable and well behaved. I'm sure the difference would have been night and day on my 2010, but it is more subtle on my 2011.

The bottom line is that the bar is a great buy and an amazing value. It is well engineered and delivers what it promises...but a rider that doesn't think he/she needs it, probably doesn't. That is no different than saying that someone who is satisfied with their OEM seat doesn't need a Corbin. Accessories are made for people who want to change things. Those that don't see a need for change, don't really need the accessories.

Goblyn Gyrl
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
The question is even though I do not notice any major problems with the handling of my Spyder now, will I still get the major improvements that others are reporting with the sway bar? Or will I not tell a big difference so maybe I do not need it. I do all my riding on mountain roads pretty aggressively so if there is something that would make this even more fun, I am ready for it.

daveinva
05-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I have a 2010 RS, functionally identically to the 2012. I have an older Evoluzione sway bar that I installed a couple of months after I bought the RS. The sway bar made a HUGE, noticeable difference.

About a year after that, I upgraded my front shocks with the Fox shocks. That too made a big difference. I couldn't tell you which mod makes more of a difference; I *can* tell you that the synergistic effects of having the sway bar and upgraded shocks (Fox, Elka, you name it) appear to make the most difference in handling. It's a fantastic combo on mountain roads.

I remember back before I bought my Spyder, I had a conversation with my older brother, a lifelong motorcycle rider. I mentioned to him that I was looking into getting a Spyder, and asked him what he thought. He had enjoyed a chance to ride a demo down in SoCal way back in 2008, and he said two things that stuck with me:

1. "Street legal go-kart!"

2. "Needs a better anti-sway bar."

This was BEFORE anyone built an aftermarket sway bar, BTW. But he "got" it, from just one ride, and he was right. He's a wise man, that guy. Shame he's not as good looking. :joke:

Bottom line: While all things are subjective in these cases, I can't imagine anyone eager for the best handling would regret a better sway bar on the Spyder.

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
The question is even though I do not notice any major problems with the handling of my Spyder now, will I still get the major improvements that others are reporting with the sway bar? Or will I not tell a big difference so maybe I do not need it. I do all my riding on mountain roads pretty aggressively so if there is something that would make this even more fun, I am ready for it.

This is what makes these decisions so much fun... :shocked:

Everybody seems to be at least reasonably happy with how their bikes handle...
...until they get the feel for what the new bar does to the handling!
THAT'S when they're able to see just how much of a difference it did make... ;)

I also started with a 2010 RT. I put 2011 shocks on it and it felt better.
Over this Winter, I added the "RonBar", and a set of Elkas... Wow! :ohyea::yes::ohyea:

SPYD1
05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Mountain roads? Aggressive driving? Yep, you'll be happy.

WAR209
05-26-2013, 01:00 PM
I Just installed my BajaRon bar yesterday. I have a 2011 RSS with the Fox podium shocks.. I read all these postings about the "bar being the best investment", "It's amazing", "Night & day from the original bar", "Worth every penny & then some" Yaddie Yaddie Yah.... I mean really.... What difference can a bar make?..... Trust me.... EVERY Positive thing you've read or heard about this bar, is ABSOLUTELY 110% true & accurate. You have no idea.... Get the bar.... You'll be Amazed at the difference... (Even if you think you don't need it).

Goblyn Gyrl
05-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Perfect, I was hoping for an answer from someone with an RSS with Fox shocks, that is just what I wanted to hear. I actually ordered my bar last Friday so hoping to put it on next week. I just got back from riding HWY 421 The Snake in Tenn. The Spyder shuttered in several of the off cambered curves, I think the anti-sway bar should smooth that out. I am looking forward to joining the BajaRon fan club!

Questions
05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
I had 2012 RT shocks on my 2009 RS and installed the sway bar. Yes I could tell a difference, but nothing that would put a wow at the end of the sentence. Then I installed ELKA shocks made for the spyder. There was the WOW> then I tighten up the spring one third of a turn and now it makes me want to go into the curves faster, just because it is soo stable. Personal preference is definitely the case here. I don't ride real aggressive a lot but when I do go into a curve a little fast, now I feel much more secure.:spyder2:

mcaccamise
05-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I have a 2012 RSS and had to tighten up the pre load on the shocks for a more stable controlled ride in the twisties after the Ron bar install i found the ride to be to firm and reduced the pr load on the podiums two turns now it handles much better with a softer ride.
Mike

Chupaca
05-27-2013, 11:22 AM

:agree: Follow your heart but take your mind along with you..!!

sledhead
05-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I've upgraded the sway bar on both RS's I've owned and just did it to my RT LTD a month ago and I would HIGHLY suggest it.
Noticeable difference and added feel of control.
Order one up!

VaughnCat
05-27-2013, 01:15 PM
One of the mods Cat and I did to our 2010 RT and RS shortly after we bought them were Evo sway bars . . . the RT got Elka's before the sway bar and the RS got the Elka's after the sway bar. The sway bar made an incredible difference and helped to quell the evil handling traits of the pre-DPS recall Spyders. While the shocks improved the ride the sway bar helped keep the Spyder flat in the turns. I installed the RT shocks on the RS and ended up taking them off because all they did was make the front end stiffer. If stiff was the answer, we would all be riding rigid frames. You need the shock action to keep the wheels on the road. Cat says that the sway bar on her RS made more difference in the turns and general handling than the Elka shocks (that cost almost 3x the price of the sway bar). We do very little freeway riding as we live in Southern Oregon among the Siskiyou/Cascade and Coastal mountain ranges . . . . riding is all about the curves for us, and the sway bar was a good investment.

Bob Denman
05-27-2013, 02:04 PM
It's kind of a funny situation... :shocked:
You literally don't realize what you've been missing, until you make the change! :yikes: :thumbup: