PDA

View Full Version : Test Results of Heat Elimination Mods

DR Buck
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Yesterday the air temps hit 85º so I thought it would be a good day to test the effects of all the heat eliminations mods I've done to my RT Limited. I've done the following to eliminate the heat issues:

Removed the CAT converter and replaced it with the Spyder Attitude Bypass.

Cut a large oval opening in the back of the radiator vent 'swoop' area.

Installed both SpyderPops blocking plates on the right side.

Wrapped both header pipes with LavaWrap heat tape.

Removed the stock airbox and all the junk that goes with it to allow for more air circulation under Tupperware.

Added BRP adjustable air deflectors.

After initially removing the right side splash plate under the 'swoop' area, I reinstalled it with no effect on overheating. I also removed the SpyderPops CAT heat shields after loosing one. and removing the CAT converter. Using the digital gauge (removed the analog) temperatures run between the 4th and 5th bars, which are mid-scale. I haven't seen boiling gas or smelled fumes since wrapping the header pipes.
Follow the link below to my mods to see pictures of the mods. All of the really annoying heat is gone. :yes: Even sitting in traffic backups, there was very little heat coming up around the seat.

Blue Star
05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Yesterday the air temps hit 85º so I thought it would be a good day.

Would love to only have 85 degree weather, as it has been triple digit this week.

I installed the SpyderPops lower blocking plate and Cat shields. I was talking to my mechanic today. He said that last Saturday when we rode (102 degrees) that his right leg was cooking. I told him I did not even notice the heat, and I was three bikes behind him. He rides a GS, and I ride a RT, and think the blocking plate made the difference.

MidLifeCrisis
05-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Have you found the oval cut out in the swoop to blow on the header and subsequently on your leg? Do the right side panels get super hot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 05:21 PM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear that your solution is working! :clap: :ohyea::yes::ohyea: :thumbup:

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 07:01 AM
I did most everything you did including CAT removal and exhaust wrapping. I've also got the Baker wings along with the BRP adjustables. I've got both holes plugged but I use a tube to vent the lower heat down and out. I also had to use insulation under the floor boards as they were transferring metal to metal heat. Thankfully, problem solved.

MouthPiece
05-19-2013, 07:31 AM
In my opinion it is the bottom right hand side "black hole" that cooks the rider's foot on the 2013 RT-S. I say that because if you place your foot way forward on the footboard, it is RIGHT in front of that "black hole" of heat. Just my opinion though.

Chris

Grandpa Spyder
05-19-2013, 08:43 AM
I did most everything you did including CAT removal and exhaust wrapping. I've also got the Baker wings along with the BRP adjustables. I've got both holes plugged but I use a tube to vent the lower heat down and out. I also had to use insulation under the floor boards as they were transferring metal to metal heat. Thankfully, problem solved.

You know if you had one of those on the other side, that would really look pretty cool.

DR Buck
05-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Great post.

Do you have any idea what the single most effective thing you did was?

I think a combonation of a few things. 1) The block plates and the oval cutout. This keeps the heat off of your right foot and leg. 2) Cat bypass removal and pipe wrapping. This eliminates most of the heat that comes up the sides when riding at low speeds or stopped in traffic. It also gets rid of the very hot air that comes up around the seat and boils your gas.

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Great post.

Do you have any idea what the single most effective thing you did was?

I agree with the bottom plate giving the most improvement. If I didn't add the front footrests I probably would have stopped there.

flybuddy
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM
You know if you had one of those on the other side, that would really look pretty cool.

Then I would have even thrust:)...I've actually had people asking the usual Spyder questions at traffic lights and look at that pipe and ask if that's my exhaust.

JRWW
05-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Fellow Spyder lovers, any pics and how did you cut out the oval part as described in the previous threads??

Regards
John

DR Buck
05-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Fellow Spyder lovers, any pics and how did you cut out the oval part as described in the previous threads??

Regards
John

I used a cutting knife that goes on the end of a butane solder iron. I guess a Dremel would work just as well.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47523&d=1339211929

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47524&d=1339211943

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47522&d=1339211923

ulflyer
05-20-2013, 06:00 AM
I used a dremel with a cutter thats similar to a drill but has tiny cutting edges on the side. Goes right thru the plastic but throws a lot of particles in the process so make sure you wear eye protection. Leaves the edges pretty rough but I didn't bother trying to smooth them off. Might go back and see if I can do that tho...........

fyrertuck
05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I am myself running Baker build air wings and the BRP adjustable wings, right upper block off plate, lave exh wrap on both pipes, plus removed the air resonator on the left side. One of the biggest things I did and I see most Spyder folks are missing is inspector gadget A-frame deflector. I made a set for both upper and lower a-frames. They work great on warm and hot days. In cold weather I remove them. Ok yes you will drop 1 or 2 mpg on the highway but my Spyder run nice and cool.

SpyderAnn01
05-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I am myself running Baker build air wings and the BRP adjustable wings, right upper block off plate, lave exh wrap on both pipes, plus removed the air resonator on the left side. One of the biggest things I did and I see most Spyder folks are missing is inspector gadget A-frame deflector. I made a set for both upper and lower a-frames. They work great on warm and hot days. In cold weather I remove them. Ok yes you will drop 1 or 2 mpg on the highway but my Spyder run nice and cool.

Is the warm day in MA August 15th and the hot day August 16th? :roflblack:

fyrertuck
05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Will we do hit 98 at last once. :roflblack:

But no during the summer with an hour ride home on the open highway at 90 and up and yes we do hit a 100 around here but not like you folks out west, the a-frame deflectors pull in more air in to the body of the Spyder. I have found the air temp not so bad on the right foot.

I will not ride without them.:bowdown:

DR Buck
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Today the air temps hit 95º. When I left my office to come home the under Tupperware temp with the on-board thermometer was 102º. I hit the road in the usual Northern VA traffic which was slow. After about 2 miles the dash temp display was at 5 bars and the under Tupperware temp had dropped to 100º. I had to make a number of stops on the way home. Each time I stopped was on paved blacktop parking lots. When I got started each time the under Tupperware temp was between 105º and 107º. Within 2 miles or so it always dropped to 100º or slightly below. The dash gauger NEVER went over 5 bars. :yes:

Although the Tupperware was hot to touch on the lower right side and there was some heat coming up when I was stopped it was not the unbearable heat I had before the mods. While sitting in traffic my right foot got somewhat warmer, But again not unbearable. I don't expect to get rid of all the heat unless I install one of NASA's cryogenic cooling units for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,450,000. :yikes:

I think I'm happy with the results so far. :yes:

GRIPMAN
06-25-2013, 02:09 AM

Flybuddy,
I would appreciate any information on how you constructed that down pipe for the heat escape.

ulflyer
06-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Have you found the oval cut out in the swoop to blow on the header and subsequently on your leg? Do the right side panels get super hot?

You may have something here. Early this spring I enlarged the swoop hole even more that it was and I've since noticed a hot foot when resting on the footpeg. Didnt have that last year, as best as I can recall. Theres a lot of heat emanating from that lower panel and metal piece that holds the peg that I never noticed before. The exhaust pipe behind that panel has been wrapped and didn't seem to make a difference. OH WELL:banghead:

jthornton
06-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Today the air temps hit 95º. When I left my office to come home the under Tupperware temp with the on-board thermometer was 102º. I hit the road in the usual Northern VA traffic which was slow. After about 2 miles the dash temp display was at 5 bars and the under Tupperware temp had dropped to 100º. I had to make a number of stops on the way home. Each time I stopped was on paved blacktop parking lots. When I got started each time the under Tupperware temp was between 105º and 107º. Within 2 miles or so it always dropped to 100º or slightly below. The dash gauger NEVER went over 5 bars. :yes:

Although the Tupperware was hot to touch on the lower right side and there was some heat coming up when I was stopped it was not the unbearable heat I had before the mods. While sitting in traffic my right foot got somewhat warmer, But again not unbearable. I don't expect to get rid of all the heat unless I install one of NASA's cryogenic cooling units for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,450,000. :yikes:

I think I'm happy with the results so far. :yes:

Sounds like your making progress... btw that is the price for the mounting bolts not the whole unit.

JT

MidLifeCrisis
06-25-2013, 08:38 AM
You may have something here. Early this spring I enlarged the swoop hole even more that it was and I've since noticed a hot foot when resting on the footpeg. Didnt have that last year, as best as I can recall. Theres a lot of heat emanating from that lower panel and metal piece that holds the peg that I never noticed before. The exhaust pipe behind that panel has been wrapped and didn't seem to make a difference. OH WELL:banghead:

The only way to get away from that is to create a "duct" to guide the air under the bike. It can be done completely invisible from the outside and does a nice job. I found that angling it toward the inside of the bike worked far better than straight back and doesn't come back to get you riding or sitting in traffic.

flybuddy
06-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Flybuddy,
I would appreciate any information on how you constructed that down pipe for the heat escape.

Used the Spyderpops lower blockoff plate
Purchased a 3" air intake tube at Autozone (they come in 45, 60 and 90 degree bends--used a 90)---Pep Boys carry them also.
The tubes are generally used to connect to cone type automotive air filters simply by pushing into a round rubber gasket at the base of the filter. I placed the rubber gasket over the block off plate and drew a circle onto the plate using the inside of the gasket as a template. Once the hole was there the gasket would seal around the hole and the tube was pushed in

Dan McNally
06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Used the Spyderpops lower blockoff plate
Purchased a 3" air intake tube at Autozone (they come in 45, 60 and 90 degree bends--used a 90)---Pep Boys carry them also.
The tubes are generally used to connect to cone type automotive air filters simply by pushing into a round rubber gasket at the base of the filter. I placed the rubber gasket over the block off plate and drew a circle onto the plate using the inside of the gasket as a template. Once the hole was there the gasket would seal around the hole and the tube was pushed in

Can you post a photo for the verbally challenged?

flybuddy
06-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Can you post a photo for the verbally challenged?

Pic on post #5.

crossbowme
06-26-2013, 07:54 PM
I used a cutting knife that goes on the end of a butane solder iron. I guess a Dremel would work just as well.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47523&d=1339211929

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47524&d=1339211943

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47522&d=1339211923

I like this idea but won't sand, mud, etc get in the blower compartment and screw things up?

TuckMiddle
06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
I did the same and there is exhaust pressure in that area which hopefully will keep junk from entering.
So far, so good. Also, I have done the exhaust wrap, reflector looking tape on the tank and the canister is gone and the hose routed to the back wheel area. No more gas fumes,stench, etc.
I think I still have to do theCAT removal to get that tremendous source of heat out of there. Folks have done their own exhaust replacement for the Cat itself, think I can get the done realistically. $12 was quoted as material cost then get a muffler shop to bend the pipe and do what ever to the ends of the replacement pipe. Plus muffler clamps.

Crazy we have to do these things to make the bike usable in the warm wx.

Tuck

DR Buck
06-27-2013, 07:40 PM
And the total price of the machine with all of the mods and add-ons is: irrelevant ?

It's just another one of those things to occupy me and keep me off the streets at night. :shemademe_smilie:

lookerjdc
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I did the 'duct' thing a while ago

my biggest problem is heat is still escaping from around the Spyderpops upper block plate

I need to find some heat material to seal the edges of the upper heat block plate from the inside

Jeriatric
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

my biggest problem is heat is still escaping from around the Spyderpops upper block plate

I need to find some heat material to seal the edges of the upper heat block plate from the inside

Permatex high-temp rtv silicone gasket maker

DR Buck
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM

Clean looking installation. However, I would be concerned on restricted air flow through the radiator with such a small outlet. Do you have any opening under or in the swoop? I recommend you watch your temperature when the outside air temp is high.

lookerjdc
06-27-2013, 10:34 PM
I cut a large hole in the bottom panel (the one under the bike) and then placed a metal grate over the opening to prevent anything from coming up from the road so there is no restricted airflow

fireplug98
06-28-2013, 06:38 AM

"inspector gadget A-frame deflector" ?????

Tommy J.

Bob Denman
06-28-2013, 09:17 AM
"inspector gadget A-frame deflector" ?????

Tommy J.

:dontknow: I just checked his site, and don't see any references to a deflector...Can you enlighten us further? :shocked:

Thanks! :thumbup:

TuckMiddle
06-28-2013, 10:04 AM
I also came up empty handed on his site.
Maybe someone can help us find this
Tuck

cbell1
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Check his U-Do-It page... http://www.spyderrt.info/1_5_U-DO-IT.html

bluestratos
06-29-2013, 09:34 AM
How did you wrap the pipes, ie in place or removed and if in place what all did you remove to get to them?
How much louder is it without the cat? Besides noise, what other side effects, if any, have you noticed?

Thanks,
Randy

I think a combonation of a few things. 1) The block plates and the oval cutout. This keeps the heat off of your right foot and leg. 2) Cat bypass removal and pipe wrapping. This eliminates most of the heat that comes up the sides when riding at low speeds or stopped in traffic. It also gets rid of the very hot air that comes up around the seat and boils your gas.

DR Buck
06-29-2013, 09:51 AM
How did you wrap the pipes, ie in place or removed and if in place what all did you remove to get to them?
How much louder is it without the cat? Besides noise, what other side effects, if any, have you noticed?

Thanks,
Randy

Wrapping the pipes is a challenge to say the least. I removed the gas tank to do mine others have not. Photos are in my gallery at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043) . The CAT removal makes it somewhat deeper sounding and slightly louder. The only side effect is way far less heat.

bluestratos
06-29-2013, 08:58 PM
[

Excellent.......:-)
How much wrap did you use and did you use the silicon spray?
QUOTE=DR Buck;648515]Wrapping the pipes is a challenge to say the least. I removed the gas tank to do mine others have not. Photos are in my gallery at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043) . The CAT removal makes it somewhat deeper sounding and slightly louder. The only side effect is way far less heat. [/QUOTE]

DR Buck
06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
[

Excellent.......:-)
How much wrap did you use and did you use the silicon spray?
QUOTE=DR Buck;648515]Wrapping the pipes is a challenge to say the least. I removed the gas tank to do mine others have not. Photos are in my gallery at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2043) . The CAT removal makes it somewhat deeper sounding and slightly louder. The only side effect is way far less heat. [/QUOTE]

Don't remember how much wrap. I had two packages. No silicone. Just soaked it in water for a while and wrapped. Held in place with stainless steel wrap ties.

Tierhog
06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
I did the same and there is exhaust pressure in that area which hopefully will keep junk from entering.
So far, so good. Also, I have done the exhaust wrap, reflector looking tape on the tank and the canister is gone and the hose routed to the back wheel area. No more gas fumes,stench, etc.
I think I still have to do theCAT removal to get that tremendous source of heat out of there. Folks have done their own exhaust replacement for the Cat itself, think I can get the done realistically. $12 was quoted as material cost then get a muffler shop to bend the pipe and do what ever to the ends of the replacement pipe. Plus muffler clamps.

Crazy we have to do these things to make the bike usable in the warm wx.

Tuck

New exhaust (Cat) removal only heat mod ive done.. And the goal was performance, not cooling. 107F today. 4 bars.. Saw 5 bars flicker for a split second in traffic. No other bikes on the road... Zilch... Nada. Few cars for that matter.

Bob Denman
06-30-2013, 07:26 AM
And the total price of the machine with all of the mods and add-ons is:__________?

Hi Dave,
I can't help but notice that you've never been able to add much of value to any search for solutions...
You're kind of like me; but at least I make an attempt to be helpful... ;)

bluestratos
06-30-2013, 11:26 AM
They come in 30' and 50' for the most part so I am guessing you used 2 30' rolls. Thanks for the info :-)

DR Buck
06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
They come in 30' and 50' for the most part so I am guessing you used 2 30' rolls. Thanks for the info :-)

2" wide, 15 ft rolls. Bought from Summet Racing

Rascal
07-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Y'all, this is my 2nd RS so I am definitely hooked, right? I live in AZ (anybody reading this want to ride???) and yes, it's hot here. However, I don't have a problem with temp gauge, just the right ankle cooking. After hearing all the rave reviews about Harvey and Spyderpops, I ordered the Missing Heat Shield and the Air Management System and threw in the Belt Guard as well. Of course, installed the HS first hoping it would give my ankle some relief. I am so disappointed because it feels absolutely no different! This bike has less than 500 miles on it so it wouldn't be the Y Gaskets, right? The only thing I can think of is I notice the majority of the SL's on here ride RTs. Maybe the HS works great for the RT but not the RS??? Can anyone share what helps on an RS? I have yet to install the Air Management System but will do so next week but really thought that was more to keep the bike cool more than my poor ankle. I am not, by any means, a whimp. The heat on the left is tolerable but the right is not. BTW, this forum is great and I read it everyday. It's very helpful to hear other owners experience. Thanks for any input you might have.

NancysToy
07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi Y'all, this is my 2nd RS so I am definitely hooked, right? I live in AZ (anybody reading this want to ride???) and yes, it's hot here. However, I don't have a problem with temp gauge, just the right ankle cooking. After hearing all the rave reviews about Harvey and Spyderpops, I ordered the Missing Heat Shield and the Air Management System and threw in the Belt Guard as well. Of course, installed the HS first hoping it would give my ankle some relief. I am so disappointed because it feels absolutely no different! This bike has less than 500 miles on it so it wouldn't be the Y Gaskets, right? The only thing I can think of is I notice the majority of the SL's on here ride RTs. Maybe the HS works great for the RT but not the RS??? Can anyone share what helps on an RS? I have yet to install the Air Management System but will do so next week but really thought that was more to keep the bike cool more than my poor ankle. I am not, by any means, a whimp. The heat on the left is tolerable but the right is not. BTW, this forum is great and I read it everyday. It's very helpful to hear other owners experience. Thanks for any input you might have.

I'm afraid that when you take 110 degree air, and pass it through the radiator, it gets a lot hotter. With the radiator on the right side, the Spyder dumps it in front of the right ankle. The RS has less deflection for the outlet than the RT, so it can be the worse. The air management system will help some, by pushing all the air through the outlet vent, instead of letting some of it pass through the crack between the body panels and find it's way out through the inner vent slot near your leg. Beyond that, there are some other things that can help you survive...

Wear high boots...and maybe Sokz knee socks, too.
Wear mesh overpants over long, heavy pants. Yes, it seems counterproductive, but it does work...and the sun isn't as hot on yor thighs.
Fabricate a deflector to push the air on the right side out further, so it bypasses your leg.
Don't use highway pegs or forward projecting footboards.
Install Baker air wings to divert some air to your leg.

I know these seem like measures one should not have to take, but riding anything, or even driving anything without air conditioning, is a challenge in the desert. One does what one must to survive.

MidLifeCrisis
07-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum Rascal. Good points made by NancysToy and most of us desert rats can relate to the challenges associated with riding in the AZ heat. There are tons of RS owners on the forum and several on this forum from AZ and other hot spots pretty regularly, so you'll likely get some good input specific to the RS shortly.

You can always post on the Arizona board for rides and see if there are any takers. I may well be up to it as well. It would be fun to get an actual :doorag:group setup in our neck of the woods. :thumbup:

lookerjdc
07-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I purchased some of this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Thermo-Tec-12-x-24-in-adhesive-backed-heat-barrier/_/N-269m?itemIdentifier=398808&_requestid=653083

I cut and placed it inside the panel and, it made a huge difference in reducing/eliminating the heat flow to my right foot

Magdave
07-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I purchased some of this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Thermo-Tec-12-x-24-in-adhesive-backed-heat-barrier/_/N-269m?itemIdentifier=398808&_requestid=653083

I cut and placed it inside the panel and, it made a huge difference in reducing/eliminating the heat flow to my right foot Got some pictures of what you did. Was it upper or lower one?

Rascal
07-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Welcome to the forum Rascal. Good points made by NancysToy and most of us desert rats can relate to the challenges associated with riding in the AZ heat. There are tons of RS owners on the forum and several on this forum from AZ and other hot spots pretty regularly, so you'll likely get some good input specific to the RS shortly.

You can always post on the Arizona board for rides and see if there are any takers. I may well be up to it as well. It would be fun to get an actual :doorag:group setup in our neck of the woods. :thumbup:

Great points from NancysToy, THANKS! Will forward the tips to my BF Mechanic, he's the BEST!
MidlifeCrisis, forgive my ignorance - what's the Arizona Board? I have tried posting an "Anybody out here"? post here to no avail. Would like to find out about local rides, Spyderfests, local service reviews, etc. Even GOS seems to only show a couple riders in AZ. Would love some company and camaraderie while sweating out the summer! Meanwhile, do love the tips on this forum and hope to someday be able to help someone as I have been helped>

MidLifeCrisis
07-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Great points from NancysToy, THANKS! Will forward the tips to my BF Mechanic, he's the BEST!
MidlifeCrisis, forgive my ignorance - what's the Arizona Board? I have tried posting an "Anybody out here"? post here to no avail. Would like to find out about local rides, Spyderfests, local service reviews, etc. Even GOS seems to only show a couple riders in AZ. Would love some company and camaraderie while sweating out the summer! Meanwhile, do love the tips on this forum and hope to someday be able to help someone as I have been helped>

PM sent.

lookerjdc
07-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Got some pictures of what you did. Was it upper or lower one?

It was just the upper

im out on a ride right now - will take and post pics later

sealfloorboards
07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't get it. I have ridden the Mohave Desert, the Great Salt Flats and all over the NW in 95 -100 degree temps. I have only SpyderPops radiator block-off plate with the bottom panel removed (per Harvey's instructions) Baker Air Wings (for my legs) and my Seal Floorboards. I have never experienced "hot foot". I know it's much discussed but I have never experienced it .I recommend this combo to all my customers.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

Topshotta
07-13-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't get it. I have ridden the Mohave Desert, the Great Salt Flats and all over the NW in 95 -100 degree temps. I have only SpyderPops radiator block-off plate with the bottom panel removed (per Harvey's instructions) Baker Air Wings (for my legs) and my Seal Floorboards. I have never experienced "hot foot". I know it's much discussed but I have never experienced it .I recommend this combo to all my customers.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

Which bottom panel did you remove?

JacqueTanis
07-14-2013, 12:19 AM
I have a 2013 ST Limited. Super hot on left side - wrapped the exhaust in heat tape and silicone spray and added Heat Shield sheets to the panels. Still hot (screws where the front and middle panels meet above my knee get so hot I can't touch them.) I like your idea of the duct to guide the air under the bike. So how do I do that? Can you give me step by step?

The only way to get away from that is to create a "duct" to guide the air under the bike. It can be done completely invisible from the outside and does a nice job. I found that angling it toward the inside of the bike worked far better than straight back and doesn't come back to get you riding or sitting in traffic.

MidLifeCrisis
07-14-2013, 12:52 AM
I have a 2013 ST Limited. Super hot on left side - wrapped the exhaust in heat tape and silicone spray and added Heat Shield sheets to the panels. Still hot (screws where the front and middle panels meet above my knee get so hot I can't touch them.) I like your idea of the duct to guide the air under the bike. So how do I do that? Can you give me step by step?

I did mine on an RT. it doesn't sound like the STs heat is from the same source as RT, so don't think my method will work on an ST. Someone here had posted adapting RS block off plates of sorts to the RS. That may be more in line with what you may be looking for.