PDA

View Full Version : Hot foot problem

Oklahoma Spyder
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
2013 rt radiator heat coming out the holes in front of tight foot. has anyone solved that issue.

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
BRP has made changes to address that issue...
Though I don't know if the weather has warmed up enough for any of the 2013 riders to be able to tell us much yet . ;)

Jeriatric
05-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Though I don't know if the weather has warmed up enough for any of the 2013 riders to be able to tell us much yet . ;)

What changes were made to address the right foot heat issue?

diesel-dawg
05-17-2013, 03:18 PM
I have the same issue today, riding is semi-hot NC coastal area. Here is what I tried to do and told not to: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52779-2013-RT-Limited-Radiator-Block-Shield-don-t-do-it&p=623929#post623929

MouthPiece
05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm not real certain that BRP has addressed the "hot foot" issue. In fact, by putting floorboards on the 2013, RT-S and above, it has had (in my opinion) a tendancy to exacerbate the problem. I say this because before on my 2010 RT-S my foot was on a peg and some distance away from that "black hole of heat". With the floorboards my foot is up next to that black hole.

I'm hoping to see Harvey at Maggie Valley. (Spyderpops)

Chris

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
They took those air diverters off of the A-arms on the 2013s. Rather than funneling more air in past the radiator; this change ought to have allowed more air to flow by the outside edges of the bodywork, and diffuse the firey blast coming brom the "Black Hole of Heat".

MouthPiece
05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
They took those air diverters off of the A-arms on the 2013s. Rather than funneling more air in past the radiator; this change ought to have allowed more air to flow by the outside edges of the bodywork, and diffuse the firey blast coming brom the "Black Hole of Heat".

Operative words: "ought to have"

Chris

SpyderAnn01
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM
I haven't noticed any right foot heat - yet. We had our first 100 degree days and I was probably just hot all over so I didn't notice if one foot was hotter than anything else. :roflblack: Ask me again in July.

WaltH
05-17-2013, 09:41 PM

I have a 2013 STL and I can tell you the changes are huge. I also have the floorboards. Yesterday, I was riding in 85 degree ambient temperature with no discomfort whatsoever - even though I was wearing shorts and no socks. When I can ride in 95 degree, or 100 degree ambient temperatures, I will report on my experiences. I don't ride when the temperature is over 100 degrees.

Tuffguy1509
05-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Took my 13 for a 3hour ride on Mother's Day and my sneaker on my right the rubber came off the front of it the glue melted so I don't think they have it fixed yet but need to do something I am in sunny floida where I really don't need any more heat!

Jeriatric
05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
What changed?

These posts sound no different than posts of the past.

Some say they have a problem and some say they don't.

:bdh:poor horse

TicketBait
05-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Took my 13 for a 3hour ride on Mother's Day and my sneaker on my right the rubber came off the front of it the glue melted so I don't think they have it fixed yet but need to do something I am in sunny floida where I really don't need any more heat!

figure its easier to ask you here than in "Live Chat" you said the SpyderPops block off plate
would cause overheating on your 2013, Is that because they can not remove the
plastic floorboard plate to allow the heat to escape?

Jerbear we are fast approaching the hotter season here, offer still stands to swap bikes on a ride to see whats up.

TB

Jeriatric
05-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Jerbear we are fast approaching the hotter season here, offer still stands to swap bikes on a ride to see whats up.

TB

Hey TB haven’t seen you here since your trip to Spyderfest.....dry yet? (kidding folks):D

"Fast approaching" We are already there. Come on out :roflblack:

Riding to the Regan Library tomorrow(Simi Valley). Temps to be in the low 80's there and will be around a hundred here on return.

Okie Spyder, please excuse the high jack.....now back to regularly scheduled programing.

Showie
05-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Put about 150 mi on today around north of Spokane to Sandpoint and back south of Spokane. Temps in the 60's could feel the heat but was welcome come summer will not be welcome :) But was a great ride :(

retirednick
05-18-2013, 10:59 PM
I have the solution, move to Alberta where it is seldom hot enough for this heat funneling to be an issue. today was a 20 degree Celsius day, my favourite temp for riding as you will still wear a jacket and long pants and boots. Oh yeah, as it is motorcycle awareness month, we also have to do our part to show people that we are responsible persons.

diesel-dawg
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
2013 rt radiator heat coming out the holes in front of tight foot. has anyone solved that issue.
I have ordered from BakerBuilt.com their lower foot deflector wings which deflect heat from the right-sided upper radiator exhaust hole as well as the left-sided oil cooler exhaust hole. During the summer, you can turn the deflectors to shield your feet from the heat and in the winter, you can turn the shields to bring the hot air onto your feet. Reasonably priced for the pair is $108.10 shipped to NC. Hope to get them by this Friday. Ken PS: the fabricating engineer for Baker Wings spoke to me. He is on his 3rd personal Can Am and now owns a 2013 RT Limited. He has installed these on his RT and tested the heat with and without the deflectors. During this past weekend, (in ambient weather of 80 degrees this past weekend), the heat on the right foot got no hotter than 85 degrees, with the deflectors installed. Without the deflectors installed, the heat got as hot as 95 degrees on the right foot. Obviously the radiator does not blow all the time while you are riding.

diesel-dawg
05-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Oklahoma Spyder, hope you are okay with the tornados in your area today. Let us hear from you as to how you are doing.

MouthPiece
05-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I have ordered from BakerBuilt.com their lower foot deflector wings which deflect heat from the right-sided upper radiator exhaust hole as well as the left-sided oil cooler exhaust hole. During the summer, you can turn the deflectors to shield your feet from the heat and in the winter, you can turn the shields to bring the hot air onto your feet. Reasonably priced for the pair is $108.10 shipped to NC. Hope to get them by this Friday. Ken PS: the fabricating engineer for Baker Wings spoke to me. He is on his 3rd personal Can Am and now owns a 2013 RT Limited. He has installed these on his RT and tested the heat with and without the deflectors. During this past weekend, (in ambient weather of 80 degrees this past weekend), the heat on the right foot got no hotter than 85 degrees, with the deflectors installed. Without the deflectors installed, the heat got as hot as 95 degrees on the right foot. Obviously the radiator does not blow all the time while you are riding.

Looks like I "may" be giving Ken a call then. Our temps here in Flarda have been upwards in the low 90s. and I'm experiencing the "black hole of heat". Again, I think it's because of the floorboard foot position. I didn't realize that Harvey's solution wouldn't work on the 13's.
I experienced heat with my 2010, but not like this.

Admittedly I ride in shorts, low cut socks and tennies. However, this heat is like a blow torch as some have described.

Chris

Jeriatric
05-20-2013, 04:44 PM
General observation and definitely not directed at anyone specifically,

but, as is often the case.

It's not a problem until.......it affects.....'you'. :bbq:

BBQ anyone? :roflblack:

diesel-dawg
05-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, I just got a note from Harvey Clark, Spyderpops.com He has reassessed the restriction he was placing on installing the block off plate on the 2013 models. After some weekend testing on a 2013, with the block off plate installed, and some hard riding in 90 degree temps, nothing happened toward overheating. So, SpyderPops.com is now again selling the block off plate for the 2013 RT Limited models. I probably will order one today. Ken

bullant12
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, I just got a note from Harvey Clark, Spyderpops.com He has reassessed the restriction he was placing on installing the block off plate on the 2013 models. After some weekend testing on a 2013, with the block off plate installed, and some hard riding in 90 degree temps, nothing happened toward overheating. So, SpyderPops.com is now again selling the block off plate for the 2013 RT Limited models. I probably will order one today. Ken

I was out in the Spyderpops factory this past weekend and we discussed the issue. I have his Block Plate installed on my 2013 since before Spyderfest, and it does it's job. He asked me about overheating, and I told him that it has not gotten above the mid-level range, even when stop-n-go. He's always had the issue with some dealers telling owners to pull the Block Plate because that is the cause of the overheat, but in all fairness, there are hundreds of owners with the Block plate on that are happy with it. So a 1 or 2 ocurrance out of 100 owners is normal, and even then those singled out units could have another issue causing the overheating. And knowing Harvey, he rigorously tests all his products before selling them to the general public.

MouthPiece
05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
If Harvey says it's okay to install, then that's all I need. It's okay with me, and I'll be seeing him hopefully in Maggie Valley or at Lamont's.

Chris

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
As many already know, radiator heat(the blow torch)is an issue I follow very closely. Last year(pre 2013) I had the following conversation with BRP.

Email to BRP customer service Oct. 2012
(Note: No pics provided in this post, but were provided to BRP)

Louise, First I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact me.

After spending time doing further research for this communication. It appears people in * Florida, Texas, Arizona, & California have experimented with blocking both upper and lower right radiator vent holes, and have drilled or cut holes in the plastic "swoop" panel aft of the fan. In what I will call the fan box. From what I read, doing this has for the most part eliminated the right side "hot foot" problem and has not caused any noticeable engine operating temperature issues.

* temps in these states range from the nineties to 120 degrees for months on end.

The following (1 & 2) are statements from a couple of RT owners who have done vent blocking and swoop modifications in an attempt to eliminate the "hot foot" problem.

(1) I trimmed out a lot of the 'swoop' about a year ago when I added the top vent block from Spyderpops and still had loads of hot air coming out the bottom hole by my foot. So at Spyderfest, I got the full treatment and blocked off the lower vent too. Results, NO more hot foot.
His foot note. I still get heat around the glove box, simply because the engine is hot. I'd love to find a way to 'train' it downward and out, but there's the crazy thermodynamics thing to contend with. I think it would be great for some aero-minded person to model the Spyder air flow and see what we can do to the under airflow to cause more suction to 'pull' the air down and out.

(2) Blocking both right side vents. I've been trying to resolve the right side heat problem on my RT Limited. I've already installed the Spyderpops top blocking plate and removed the bottom splash plate. Then before going on my road trip last weekend I cut a large oval shaped opening in the inner panel behind the radiator fan (swoop area) and made a temporary blocking plate with some aluminum flashing to close the lower vent as well. This worked great! With the new blocking plate(s) almost all of the heat is channeled under the bike and out the back. I'm no longer getting heat up around the seat and the "hot foot" syndrome is gone. The bike temperature stayed in the normal range when it hit 90º and was way down low when it was only 65º.
I was able to have my feet on the riders footrest without any heat issues during the 400 mile trip. Now I need to come up with a more permanent solution for the aluminum flashing. EDIT: Looks like the Spyderpops lower blocking plate along with the upper will be the permanent solution. I just placed the order.

I have attached photos that depict holes being drilled and or cut (with a hot knife) in the "swoop panel".

It appears the two examples noted have found this modification to be satisfactory. My question is. Does BRP agree they are reasonable and acceptable solutions to the problem many of us have? Warranty in mind.

In addition:

The following is a note from SpyderPops. Dated June 6, 2012.

The lower block off plate by SPYDERPOPS is advertised to be used alone and not with the upper block off plate because we are still testing the results of both.

We do in fact have several RT's in various parts of the country running both and have discovered that in fact, holes have to be cut into the air duct/chute(swoop) from the bottom. Without cutting the holes there is not enough air flow and it can heat up the upper panel. In very hot areas with high humidity the temps of the coolant will raise to the high range, but as soon as the holes are cut into the air duct/chute(swoop) the temps go back to normal.

If you decide to do this yourself it is your decision as WE ARE NOT RECOMMENDING this procedure at this time and will post our results after we have determined proper results.

Harvey

To date, Harvey has not reported final test results. As far as I know.

Aside from the two examples, there is *one picture that depicts the top vent being partially blocked while the lower vent is completely blocked. The reason I have included it is I'm wondering if not completely blocking off the top vent would help relieve any back pressure thus allowing the hot air to flow out the 'swoop holes even better?

Thanks for your help and if none of this seems acceptable. I certainly hope we can continue to work together towards a solution. The problem is real, and many of us would appreciate your help.

Apologize for this mail being as long as it is but, I hope too, that it demonstrates how important the issues is.

Thanks again
Jerry

BRP Response Oct. 2012

October 9, 2012

Official word from BRP tech as related to me in a telephone conversation today with Louise of BRP customer service.

Based on the information and pictures submitted with both upper and lower vent block off plates installed and with the addition of swoop holes either drilled or cut for sufficient heat venting. The impression of the tech she worked with was the modification should not create a heat problem with the RT. (I say RT, because my submission was RT specific.) While his impression is it should not cause any heat problems. If done, it will be our decision to do so. Warranty wise. That said, she also stated if a dealer felt the modification was the cause of a specific problem. It would be up to the dealer to prove it in order to deny a warranty claim.

She also said she will be forwarding a folder with the information provided and the tech's input, to the tech department, and (I think she said) engineering too. Sorry about the fog of memory as to specifics there.

Just a thought - I find it interesting that she specifically stated it would be up to the dealer to prove cause. Not BRP.

Note: I have none of BRP's response in writting. It is all based on verbal communication back and forth with BRP customer service. So, this post is for information purposes only.

Jer

Marker
05-21-2013, 10:58 AM
I am not telling people what to wear but I wear proper riding boots and have no problem with the heat on right foot . I have rode with others that ride with sneekers on and complain about right foot heat:yikes: .........Just say'n :coffee: JMHO

MidLifeCrisis
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I am not telling people what to wear but I wear proper riding boots and have no problem with the heat on right foot . I have rode with others that ride with sneekers on and complain about right foot heat:yikes: .........Just say'n :coffee: JMHO

If I wear any thicker boots, my head will explode. My boots are so thick my left foot gets hot from the ambient air. Believe us desert rats. It takes more than the right boot to kill the blow torch.

With mods, I've got mine to bearable, but no where near sneaker ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Request. Send some of that Canadian heat down this way. ;) ATGATT

shelbydave
05-21-2013, 11:42 AM
That said, she also stated if a dealer felt the modification was the cause of a specific problem. It would be up to the dealer to prove it in order to deny a warranty claim.

She also said she will be forwarding a folder with the information provided and the tech's input, to the tech department, and (I think she said) engineering too. Sorry about the fog of memory as to specifics there.

Just a thought - I find it interesting that she specifically stated it would be up to the dealer to prove cause. Not BRP.

That's pretty much the law here... For warranty claims, it's up to the dealer, and / or manufacturer to PROVE that your mod caused the problem. I've seen both sides of the coin... On one side, someone adds a performance chip, then the dealer voids the warranty for a power window problem. The other side, and I found this laughable... a guy modded the crap out of his SRT - Almost triple the stock HP, tears up his transmission at the drag strip, then gets into a 6 month long legal battle because his warranty was voided...

So if your machine is overheating, they MAY be able to prove the SpyderPOPs mods caused it, but the burden of proof is always on them.

... At least that is how it's supposed to work...

I do notice the hot foot thing, but not all the time, and it is less temperature related, than it is "air" related it seems... for instance, on a ride one day, going one direction on a certain road, hot foot. Riding back the same way... no hot foot. If anything, it was warmer on the ride back, so I chalked it up to wind direction. :dontknow:

Navy Warrant
05-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Don't know how it is with the 2013's floor boards, but on my '12 I've found that moving my feet out to the end of the pegs with my heels NOT pointed in while riding makes a HUGE difference heat wise. Much, much cooler. Also, there was a heat mod I read here on the forum involving cutting 2" holes and making a couple of cone shapes out of flashing that seemed to work well for the people who tried it.

jerpinoy
05-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I hope this hot foot problem will be resolve soon and we can just ride and have fun.:yes::yes:

Here in the NW we don't have hot foot but Big Foot:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Jeriatric
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
I hope this hot foot problem will be resolve soon and we can just ride and have fun.:yes::yes:

Here in the NW we don't have hot foot but Big Foot:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Having a 'Big Foot' only adds to the problem:roflblack::roflblack: voice of experience. nojoke

Oklahoma Spyder
05-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Having a 'Big Foot' only adds to the problem:roflblack::roflblack: voice of experience. nojoke

The new floor boards are great because you can slide you foot way up forward, but thats where the heat is. it places the big toe right in the path of the bottom vent. I think blocking the bottom vent might be the deal, then the top if nec, and of course the hole behind the radiator box would be a must. Maybe closable vents you could open in the winter time, but they would melt! PS someone asked so ill say; its very sad here in OKC but the support and spirit is great. Things always get better for most, with effort and time. I say most because of the ones who lost family. Houses can be rebuilt, its the loss of loved ones that changes life for ever.

Jeriatric
05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
The new floor boards are great because you can slide you foot way up forward, but thats where the heat is. it places the big toe right in the path of the bottom vent. I think blocking the bottom vent might be the deal, then the top if nec, and of course the hole behind the radiator box would be a must. Maybe closable vents you could open in the winter time, but they would melt! PS someone asked so ill say; its very sad here in OKC but the support and spirit is great. Things always get better for most, with effort and time. I say most because of the ones who lost family. Houses can be rebuilt, its the loss of loved ones that changes life for ever.

Resisted floorboards, because for me it seems they would take away from the balance one needs in twisties. If the brake lever sat a little higher, or the peg lower, then one could move a 'long foot' under the brake pedal. Thus getting out of the furnace's natural exhaust path. For now I'm running the lower block off plate and will see how it works this summer. To say long hours on the road with your right foot in that heat is uncomfortable is a gross understatement. Around town heat is to be expected. IMO

OK State. Our heart breaks for you folks. An Okie myself.....yep, you can take the boy out of the state, but not the state out of the boy. Couldn't imagine having been raised anywhere else. Fond, heart felt memories that have lasted a lifetime. Stay strong OK State!

chisel_maker
05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
I have the Seal Floorboards and found they put my foot right in the heat of it all. Added the upper block off plate. No good.
Removed it and added the Lower block off plate. No good. Cut the Upper block off plated in half and reinstalled it. Works good so far.
I did remove the lower pan as instructed for the Upper block off plate but have not added any holes in the swoop. So far no over heating but have not had any real hot weather in Colorado yet.

Marker
05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
If I wear any thicker boots, my head will explode. My boots are so thick my left foot gets hot from the ambient air. Believe us desert rats. It takes more than the right boot to kill the blow torch.

With mods, I've got mine to bearable, but no where near sneaker ready.

MidLifeCrisis Please find a way to bottle that Arizona heat and send to us in the Great White North about January. BRP definitely needs to fix the hot foot problems on spyders especially for hot climates like yours.

MouthPiece
05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
]I have the Seal Floorboards and found they put my foot right in the heat of it all. [/U]Added the upper block off plate. No good.
Removed it and added the Lower block off plate. No good. Cut the Upper block off plated in half and reinstalled it. Works good so far.
I did remove the lower pan as instructed for the Upper block off plate but have not added any holes in the swoop. So far no over heating but have not had any real hot weather in Colorado yet.

And THAT ABOVE is the crux of the problem with the 2013's. You can slide your foot, and understandably so, forward to where it is absolutely right in front of the "black hole of heat". I don't care if your foot is wrapped in space tiles designed for our shuttle space program, you're gonna get toasted.

Chris

kbfk
05-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I have been struggling with this issue for awhile and think I have a workable solution finally. Fyi, not only do the floorboards make you experience the heat more I believe the 2013 actually put out more heat. I'm comparing it to my previous 2011rt, with my feet on my NPV there is way more heat with my new 2013 rt. On to the solution that I have been working with my dealer on. What we did was remove the floor panel on that side along with the back panel. This will allow air to flow from the radiator all the way to the back of the bike and out. We then put on both the lower and upper block off plates. This has virtually eliminated the heat problem on my foot. I say virtually because there is a small leak which I will fix my adjusting my block off plates. Now, I am having one last heat problem though no where near as severe. Frankly, I may just leave it as is but.... I get a little heat exhaust around the small tank storage bin just at where it meets the seat. Also, after riding for awhile parts of the outer plastics can get warm. Again, it is way better than before. I think I will be able resolve this last heat problem by putting in a thin layer of heat shield on the under side of the side panels. Most of the heat exhaust either in the back of the bike or underneath the bike with this alteration. I also don't have in over heat problems because the air flow is actually greater with this solution than the way the bike comes stock. I'll keep everyone informed as I move forward with further testing.

MidLifeCrisis
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
MidLifeCrisis Please find a way to bottle that Arizona heat and send to us in the Great White North about January. BRP definitely needs to fix the hot foot problems on spyders especially for hot climates like yours.

All they need to do is change their vacation plans by 6 months and they can get a good feel for what we're experiencing. Hotel accommodations are super cheap in june and a few of us will gladly provide them Spyders to ride. Besides, their pasty bodies in speedos are scaring off the Christmas vacationers!!!:roflblack:

ulflyer
05-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Soon after getting my '11 RT I blocked up both outlets, removed the splash plate and cut a lot of the remaining plastic out. That pretty much solved the radiator heat issue for me.

I find the Catalytic converter to still be a major heat source on my right food and would like to know if anyone has produced connecting pipes for removal of it?

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 06:56 AM
I find the Catalytic converter to still be a major heat source on my right food and would like to know if anyone has produced connecting pipes for removal of it?

Yes. Should pop up in a search.

NancysToy
05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Soon after getting my '11 RT I blocked up both outlets, removed the splash plate and cut a lot of the remaining plastic out. That pretty much solved the radiator heat issue for me.

????? The cat sits on the left side of the RT, so either you are talking about your other right foot, or your heat source is probably not what you think it is. Remember that when you block the radiator outlets, you just push the heat out elsewhere...in this case under the right side. I suspect that is the source of the heat you continue to feel...it has just move a bit farther back and down.

ulflyer
05-23-2013, 08:14 AM
????? The cat sits on the left side of the RT, so either you are talking about your other right foot, or your heat source is probably not what you think it is. Remember that when you block the radiator outlets, you just push the heat out elsewhere...in this case under the right side. I suspect that is the source of the heat you continue to feel...it has jst move a bit farther back and down.

OMG, now I feel really stupid! I did enlarge the underneath opening a little the other day and likely that caused a diff flow of hot air. :banghead: Gonna have to take a new look at right side to see if theres something I can to do to redirect the flow downward.

Thanks Scotty.

Scotty....just came in from jacking up the RT and the Cat is exactly in the middle; however, the right side pipe coming out of it is closer to the outside than the left side and not as well protected with the Spyderpop shields and may the source of my heat issue. As a tempo measure I wrapped some gasket material used for mufflers around it to make a shield and wired it on. If the above gives me relief, I'll get some muffler wrap for a more permanent fix.

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
If you take time to search and read you'll find many people have done many things in an attempt to correct the problem you are having. All, with varying results. Much depending on how hot or high ambient temps are where they ride.

There's NO easy fix. Just a lot of experimenting.

MouthPiece
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
And now that you cannot remove the splash pans on the 2013, that eliminates an option.

Chris

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
And now that you cannot remove the splash pans on the 2013, that eliminates an option.

Chris

Aren't they still being tested and approved in Florida?

Here's a sampling of options presented the last time this was a major topic.

Wear flame proof boots.

Only ride when ambient temps allow. (if they do).

Last, but my favorite. Sell it!

Tongue in cheek......but actual suggestions.

Best of luck Chris.

MouthPiece
05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Aren't they still being tested and approved in Florida?

Here's a sampling of options presented the last time this was a major topic.

Wear flame proof boots.

Only ride when ambient temps allow. (if they do).

Tongue in cheek......but actual suggestions.

Best of luck Chris.

Another option is to have the wife carry our leaf blower and point that sucker down toward "the black hole of heat". :yes::yes::yes:

Chris

chisel_maker
05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Another option is to have the wife carry our leaf blower and point that sucker down toward "the black hole of heat". :yes::yes::yes:

Chris

Love this idea :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

NancysToy
05-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Chris

:thumbup: If she holds a bag of ice over the intake on the blower, you can have your own portable swamp cooler. ;)

MouthPiece
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
:thumbup: If she holds a bag of ice over the intake on the blower, you can have your own portable swamp cooler. ;)

Are ya ready to patent this idea with me Scotty??:roflblack::roflblack:

Chris

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 01:17 PM
the 'ice' contract

:bbq: ;)

ulflyer
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
If you take time to search and read you'll find many people have done many things in an attempt to correct the problem you are having. All, with varying results. Much depending on how hot or high ambient temps are where they ride.

There's NO easy fix. Just a lot of experimenting.

Did that and got umpteen threads with pages of replys. Found the $450 bypass which is too rich for my wallet. Curious if the bypass/or emptied Cat makes for less heat?

Jeriatric
05-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Did that and got umpteen threads with pages of replys. Found the $450 bypass which is too rich for my wallet. Curious if the bypass/or emptied Cat makes for less heat?

Most certainly it will cool things off. Think of it as a heat sink. But, if you think the bypass is expensive, go to the parts fish and shock yourself with the cost of replacing the cat. Should you need to.

As you have seen, everything under the sun has been done in an attempt to resolve the heat issue pre 2012. Now some are saying it's even worse on the '13's. Go figure.

diesel-dawg
05-23-2013, 03:31 PM
guess BRP could care less about answering emails. Wonder why they even list their customer service contact email address if they are not going to do talk to the customers.

flybuddy
05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Here's an extreme fix:
Top Radiator outlet blocked
Lower outlet has block plate but 3" round hole for downpipe (also insulated) to divert heat away
Aluminum plates behind downpipe to block any residual heat which may deflect upward
Aluminum deflectors (attached to footrests) to move air over right foot
Double insulation under floorboard
Cat removed
All pipes wrapped
Holes drilled in swooshplate
Cat Shields (had before Cat removal--left on)

No heat to right foot, no heat on passengers feet, no heat coming up from seat, gas tank remains cool

I went overboard as I kept coming up with ideas while my last remaining Gremlin was a leaky exhaust gasket from when I installed the cat bypass. The most successful item for me was the lower block plate. If I hadn't added the footrests I might have left it at that along with wrapping the exhaust.

diesel-dawg
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Today, I did the ride and heat test. I have installed the SpyderPops.com heat block plate and the bakerwings lower foot deflectors. I rode in temps nearly 86+ for about a hundred miles. BTW, did it in shorts and sneakers. No issue on the heat at all and the dash indicated a cooling range in the middle, never showed any overheating at all. I tried it in stop and go traffic as well as highway speeds. I am very satisfied with this and if it nevers gets any worse than today, for me it is "hot foot" problem solved. My ride is a 2013 RT Limited.

Ken

Jeriatric
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Today, I did the ride and heat test. I have installed the SpyderPops.com heat block plate and the bakerwings lower foot deflectors. I rode in temps nearly 86+ for about a hundred miles. BTW, did it in shorts and sneakers. No issue on the heat at all and the dash indicated a cooling range in the middle, never showed any overheating at all. I tried it in stop and go traffic as well as highway speeds. I am very satisfied with this and if it nevers gets any worse than today, for me it is "hot foot" problem solved. My ride is a 2013 RT Limited.

Ken

Good news.......but is 86 degrees HOT?

diesel-dawg
05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Good news.......but is 86 degrees HOT?

No 86 degrees is not hot, except in the direct sunlight, it gets warm. Point is that the radiator exhaust hole, in similar degree days was like a blow torch....now it is not.... Also, by me modifying my stock seat and moving me way back, I get better leg position on the RT floorboards. My right and left feet are not pushed forward at all...I can ride my right foot in the back of the floor board and even backwards on the passenger floor boards.

MouthPiece
05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
No 86 degrees is not hot, except in the direct sunlight, it gets warm. Point is that the radiator exhaust hole, in similar degree days was like a blow torch....now it is not.... Also, by me modifying my stock seat and moving me way back, I get better leg position on the RT floorboards. My right and left feet are not pushed forward at all...I can ride my right foot in the back of the floor board and even backwards on the passenger floor boards.

Now THAT makes sense.

Chris

Jeriatric
05-30-2013, 01:14 PM
[/COLOR][/U]Now THAT makes sense.

Chris

Agree, but it's a heck of a note when one has to ride with their heel on the passenger boards and the ball of their foot on the pegs(drivers boards). Not to mention it's impossible to use the passenger boards this way when two up. My saddle sets me back two inches from stock and have ridden this way for many a mile. While it will work, it's sad that there's not a better solution.

MidLifeCrisis
05-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Ken

I would highly recommend taking a good pair of boots and long pants along until you are equally satisfied with the solution in temps above the mid 90s. Things definitely change on mine between 86 and 96. I'm golden in 86, 96 and things get pretty hot. As a matter of fact, I had to wait for us to hit 95+ at least, before I could even begin to sign off on my latest mod. Still holding out for the 106+ temps. If I don't fry, I'll post my latest.

diesel-dawg
05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
I would highly recommend taking a good pair of boots and long pants along until you are equally satisfied with the solution in temps above the mid 90s. Things definitely change on mine between 86 and 96. I'm golden in 86, 96 and things get pretty hot. As a matter of fact, I had to wait for us to hit 95+ at least, before I could even begin to sign off on my latest mod. Still holding out for the 106+ temps. If I don't fry, I'll post my latest.
I am retired and don't really see a reason to ride in those high temp days...if I do, it will be in the early morning to early afternoon, and then off of the road either home or hotel. I am fortunate that I can select when, where and why I ride. BTW, as I recently sold my 2011 Harley Triglide. I had Colorado Chaps make me some heat resistant shin guards, that just strap around each lower leg. I can carry them, and easily put them on, on very hot days and rides. I live in the coastal area of NC and like to wear shorts and sneakers when I ride.

Bob Denman
05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I am retired and don't really see a reason to ride in those high temp days...
But :shocked:; those are the BEST days to go for a ride... for ice cream!! :2thumbs:

diesel-dawg
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
But :shocked:; those are the BEST days to go for a ride... for ice cream!! :2thumbs:
Bob, now you are beginning to sound like a Goldwing rider...heading to the nearest Dairy Queen. :opps::opps::opps::joke:

Bob Denman
05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I had one of those too!
It didn't have any of the fancy electronics of today; but turn it loose, and it could find ice cream! :2thumbs:

Jeriatric
05-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Inside :roflblack:

Buttsy
05-30-2013, 08:20 PM

Did you thank the poster because this would be the ultimate "fix" to the "hot foot" problem no............? :dontknow:

Buttsy
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Personally I think the whole problem is just karma coming around. We have to listen to all you "hot" spot dwellers make fun of us poor northern folks because of our winters and not being able to ride all year. Sounds to me like you all can't ride all year either? :shocked: :shocked:

Jeriatric
05-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Did you thank the poster because this would be the ultimate "fix" to the "hot foot" problem no............? :dontknow:

Nah! Some things are better left unsaid. Even by me.

Personally I think the whole problem is just karma coming around. We have to listen to all you "hot" spot dwellers make fun of us poor northern folks because of our winters and not being able to ride all year.

Sounds to me like you all can't ride all year either? :shocked: :shocked:

For some that's true. nojoke

Karma? Hmm.......never thought about that. Too busy :bbq:ing ;)

MidLifeCrisis
05-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Personally I think the whole problem is just karma coming around. We have to listen to all you "hot" spot dwellers make fun of us poor northern folks because of our winters and not being able to ride all year. Sounds to me like you all can't ride all year either? :shocked: :shocked:

Nope. Some of us lack the intelligence required to give up!

Buttsy
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Nope. Some of us lack the intelligence required to give up!

They say self recognition is the first step to recovery..............:thumbup::thumbup: I do have to chuckle, I saw the very first ST in Canada at a dealer ride last fall, the Canam rep gleefully told me "they fixed the hot foot issue reported by some riders". I said awesome what about the RT and he said yup they fixed it to............seems he may have been misled?

diesel-dawg
06-01-2013, 03:08 PM

well, I might have spoken too soon. I posted the comment quoted above earlier in this thread. Today, took the 2013 RT Limited on a 200 mile ride. Hottest temps in the sun were about 91. Did not have any trouble with heat until I got almost home at about 2:30 pm. After I filled up with gas and started to leave the gas station, the spyder showed overheated temp and indicated it had gone into limp mode home. I rev'd the engine a little and it dropped out of the limp mode and the temp gauge dropped back to mid-range. Was able to continue home as normal. Is this typical or is it due to the block off plate being installed on the newer RT's?

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 03:14 PM
well, I might have spoken too soon. I posted the comment quoted above earlier in this thread. Today, took the 2013 RT Limited on a 200 mile ride. Hottest temps in the sun were about 91. Did not have any trouble with heat until I got almost home at about 2:30 pm. After I filled up with gas and started to leave the gas station, the spyder showed overheated temp and indicated it had gone into limp mode home. I rev'd the engine a little and it dropped out of the limp mode and the temp gauge dropped back to mid-range. Was able to continue home as normal. Is this typical or is it due to the block off plate being installed on the newer RT's?

Do you recall if your fan was running or not?

diesel-dawg
06-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Do you recall if your fan was running or not?

don't think it was, as I was shocked and did not pay attention to the sound of the fan. After I rev'd the engine I know the fan was on and the gauge dropped to mid range.

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 03:34 PM
don't think it was, as I was shocked and did not pay attention to the sound of the fan. After I rev'd the engine I know the fan was on and the gauge dropped to mid range.

Would be smart to get your owners manual out and check your coolant level, then keep and ear out for when the fan does and doesn’t run. Then subconsciously you'll always be aware of it. If it does not run......check fuses and relays.

diesel-dawg
06-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Would be smart to get your owners manual out and check your coolant level, then keep and ear out for when the fan does and doesn’t run. Then subconsciously you'll always be aware of it. If it does not run......check fuses and relays.
Dang, it only has 500 miles on it. I mean, a 30k dollar machine should not require that much maintenance

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Dang, it only has 500 miles on it. I mean, a 30k dollar machine should not require that much maintenance

And, the only thing that will get it to 100,000 miles is you and your technician. The more you know about it the better you can communicate with him. These aren't what you may be used to. Get in and go. They're more like a really good woman. Ya gotta pay attention to them. If ya know what I mean.

NancysToy
06-01-2013, 05:15 PM

There is a reason every motorcycle ever built came with a tool kit. Maintenance is the name of the game, no matter how much they cost. nojoke

Spydered
06-01-2013, 06:09 PM

I have had this happen twice already. Fan was running both times. It happened after a short stop (less than 10 minutes). Coolant level is good. BTW I have ~2500 miles.

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 06:38 PM
I have had this happen twice already. Fan was running both times. It happened after a short stop (less than 10 minutes). Coolant level is good. BTW I have ~2500 miles.

One person with a 2013 had a sticking thermostat. Don't want to jump to conclusions here but, both of you should see your dealer if fluid level is good and the fan runs when Q'd 2. tol

diesel-dawg
06-01-2013, 07:58 PM
And, the only thing that will get it to 100,000 miles is you and your technician. The more you know about it the better you can communicate with him. These aren't what you may be used to. Get in and go. They're more like a really good woman. Ya gotta pay attention to them. If ya know what I mean.

Well, not to be abrasive and certainly not intending to, but using that reasoning for driving a brand new machine is on the far side of absurdity. One should be able to drive it without burning your feet up, having limp home mode indicators coming and overheating...BRP knows of the issues and still does not correct them. I like the concept of the spyder, but it is still weak in achieving the "exceptionally reliable" rating. Secondly, they should have some program to ensure that dealers live up to their franchise standards...people that drive touring machines need to expect the same level of service in Florida as they do in NC, etc....

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, not to be abrasive and certainly not intending to, but using that reasoning for driving a brand new machine is on the far side of absurdity. One should be able to drive it without burning your feet up, having limp home mode indicators coming and overheating...BRP knows of the issues and still does not correct them. I like the concept of the spyder, but it is still weak in achieving the "exceptionally reliable" rating. Secondly, they should have some program to ensure that dealers live up to their franchise standards...people that drive touring machines need to except the same level of service in Florida as they do in NC, etc....

We're playing the same Violin when it comes to dealers and how well they are policed. And, I say policed intentionally.

diesel-dawg
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Did you have the radiator block off plate installed also? Yes, we both can see the dealer, but it is not the first time BRP has developed a machine for the hot environmental conditions. This truly is not rocket science and I don't accept the fact that we should not expect a product that runs without constant issues.

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Did you have the radiator block off plate installed also? Yes, we both can see the dealer, but it is not the first time BRP has developed a machine for the hot environmental conditions. This truly is not rocket science and I don't accept the fact that we should not expect a product that runs without constant issues.

No sir, installed the lower one myself(and shields). Can't really tell you how well it works because it's not hot here yet. Haven't ridden in heat - yet. Hot here is 105 to the mid 120's tho.

Sounds more like your dealer may be letting you down and/or not explaining things well enough.
:dontknow:

diesel-dawg
06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Well, I am going to take off my SpyderPops block off plate and leave the baker bilt wings on for the lowers. I think the block off plate does cause it to overheat, as Spyderpops was warned by BRP. Will wait and see if I can get a molded deflector the radiator exhaust that shoves the hot air out past my feet. Other than the dang heat problem, and Nanny getting overly excited, I am loving the spyder RT. BUT BRP needs to listen to the customers and do something smart on the hot exhaust blasted to the driver's right leg....it can't be that big of a deal to exhaust it elsewhere.

KennW
04-05-2014, 02:13 PM
A quick 2 bobs worth from down in Oz. Was looking at the right foot block off and instructions definately stated to remove floor pans thus giving all that built up hot air somewhere to escape to. Sure makes sense to me though must admit haven't checkered under my 2013 Se 5 yet to set exactly what floor pans are required to be removed. Shall be crawling under there today though to have a good look around

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

MouthPiece
04-05-2014, 06:12 PM
A quick 2 bobs worth from down in Oz. Was looking at the right foot block off and instructions definately stated to remove floor pans thus giving all that built up hot air somewhere to escape to. Sure makes sense to me though must admit haven't checkered under my 2013 Se 5 yet to set exactly what floor pans are required to be removed. Shall be crawling under there today though to have a good look around

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

You might be able to cut holes in them, but I'm not too sure you're gonna be able to remove them. (if we'r talkin about a 2013). I could be wrong.

​Chris

Magdave
04-05-2014, 06:31 PM
You might be able to cut holes in them, but I'm not too sure you're gonna be able to remove them. (if we'r talkin about a 2013). I could be wrong.

​Chris
You are not wrong the '13 has a one piece swoop no lower pan. It was part of the prep for the '14. I am becoming more sure the 13 was supposed to have the 1330 in it but the engine was delayed.

dslim
06-09-2014, 06:03 AM

​Chris
I had some heat from the lower right hole, more noticeable on my 13, due to the running boards. I had my dealer install the Spyderpops lower block off plate last fall, he also drilled 3 large 1.5 inch holes in the inner swoop piece behind the radiator, and when he installed my Bajaron swaybar, he left the bottom panels off of both sides. I have no heat on my right foot now, and my bike temp runs in the middle. My bike is totally comfortable now, as that was the only heat issue I had. I also had the computer update done this year and I think my overall mileage is better too, we are currently on a trip and have been averaging 32-35 mpg, driving 65-70, two up with a loaded rt622 trailer. Now if I could come up with a way to keep the back of the bike from getting so filthy and my wife's back from getting wet in the rain.....

MouthPiece
06-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Now if I could come up with a way to keep the back of the bike from getting so filthy and my wife's back from getting wet in the rain..... NOTE: I edited your quote.

You might want to take a look at this thread.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46800-Redesigned-mudflap-for-trailer-hitch

​Chris