PDA

View Full Version : Would Like To Know

MikeT
05-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Since 2006 the Mrs. and I have ridden a couple of versions of the GL1800 trike. We've ridden from Holland, MI to Greenville, SC, and everywhere in between. Have become interested in the RT-Limited. For those who have made the switch, I'd like to know:
1. What you gained by going to the RT-Limited, and
2. What you miss from the Wing Trike
Thanks,
Mike

jerpinoy
05-17-2013, 11:23 AM
I never owned a GW , My only advice is try to rent a RT SE5 and ride for a week and see what you think and make your decision wisely. There are also many posted issue related what you're looking for, try using the advance search. Good luck

Motorcycledave
05-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I just sent you a private message. (PM)

Since 2006 the Mrs. and I have ridden a couple of versions of the GL1800 trike. We've ridden from Holland, MI to Greenville, SC, and everywhere in between. Have become interested in the RT-Limited. For those who have made the switch, I'd like to know:
Thanks,
Mike

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 11:55 AM
You probably would enjoy talking with George Lewis about the comparisons; he's got an RTS and a triked-Wing... :2thumbs:
("Big Red 1" in here...)

StanProff
05-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks,
Mike

I used to have a regular Goldwing. I think you'd miss the engine but you'd love the handling of the spyder.

ARtraveler
05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
In most of the discussion threads, it boils down to a few differences.

The biggest is the 990cc of the :spyder2: vs. the 1800cc of the Goldwing. Quieter, more torque with the GW of course.

Handling characteristics are also another big difference. The :spyder2: with the two wheels in front is more stable than the standard trike configuration. Both types of machines handle well once you have driven them a bit.

Cost: :spyder2: is less (if you add in the trike kit) 10K to 15K depending.
Amenities: Similar.

For You? A test drive is in order to see how you like it. There are now three versions, the RS, ST, and RT. The RT is going to be most like the wing IMO.

Grandpa Spyder
05-17-2013, 04:15 PM
It will take you some getting use to.
1. the spyder operates at 4000 rpms or above most of the time.
2. The cost of maintenance is much more and more difficult to do yourself.

Those are my 2 biggest complaints, but all other factors out weigh those 2 items. It is a very hi-tech. machine and from a safety standpoint it ranks at the top. Keep in mind that these machines require you run them at high rpms.

Pennyrick
05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks,
Mike

Mike... made that change in 2010 and am now on my second RT. Went from a GL1800 with a Motor Trike kit.

I miss.... the bottom end torque and being able to pull from 1,500 rpm in 4th or 5th gear.
the quiet whoosh of the engine
the easy to use and adjust sound system

I love.... the styling of the RT
the full reverse gear
the SE5 semi auto transmission
the storage capacity
the power assisted steering

I'm mindful of........ the fact that the Gold Wing has been around for 36 years versus the RT's 5.
the Spyder dealer service network is about 1/4 of the size of the Honda
it takes some time for a new design to work out all the bugs
I enjoy riding the RT more than I did the GW trike