PDA

View Full Version : The missing handbrake bracket

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Well, here's what extra time, scrap metal and an obsessive quest for tire screeching handbrake power yields..... The missing handbrake bracket!!!
I first started by carving up some cardboard and made this template
Here's the final product waiting for paint to dry (yes that's A HUGE run in the paint from a failed one coat attempt) 68243

The two top holes use the back 2 bolts that hold the muffler / right side passenger foot peg mounts. The side Angle with 2 smaller holes are for protecting the brake reservoir hoses from chafing and the bottom hole mounts to the back adjustment / clevis mount for the isci slave cylinder bracket. It'll all make more sense when I post the installed pictures.. This bracket completely eliminates the flex (and resulting loss of braking power) that happens at 75% braking effort on the handbrake. If you take the right side plastic off the machine and give the handbrake a few good pulls, you'll know what this brace fixes :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
If the bracket brace doesn't get me to where I want to be, I'm going to purchase one of these :Roland Sands adjustable brake levers
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/506-086
It actually would be an attractive accessory with the black and machined finish :thumbup:

jerpinoy
05-17-2013, 11:36 AM
I like your idea of making it yourself. I made my own brake pedal mod and floorboards. Good luck on your project.

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I like your idea of making it yourself. I made my own brake pedal mod and floorboards. Good luck on your project.
Thanks. 2 reasons I made my own bracket... 1) they don't make one. 2) I'm a tight ass haha.

Boards might be on the list. Already have a redneck brake pedal on mine :roflblack:

kawakii
05-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Ill be interested in seeing how this works out :) has anyone put on the rolan sands brake lever ? Does it actually fit ... ?

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Waiting on your pictures... :bbq::bbq:
But it sure looks like a WINNER! :ohyea::yes: :thumbup:

asp125
05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
That Roland Sands lever looks sweet! Post pics of the completed setup.

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Ill be interested in seeing how this works out :) has anyone put on the rolan sands brake lever ? Does it actually fit ... ?
My friend and I compared brake master cylinders and levers and he has a 2009 Harley street glide FLHX and they are identical. This adjustable lever is for that application. I'm certain it will fit

Waiting on your pictures... :bbq::bbq:
But it sure looks like a WINNER! :ohyea::yes: :thumbup:

The pictures will be posted tonight. Gotta get it back together so I can ride tomorrow

SpyderWolf
05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention, and I hope this one works out exactly how you want it to. Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
:agree: KUDO'S Nice job.....I love people who can think " OUT OF THE BOX ".........Mike....:thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
As promised... The installed picture. Just got back from test drive and I can now get the tires to squawk pretty good with a quick stab of the hand brake at 60mph and it wiggles around pretty good.:yikes: It would never do that before. :yes:

TuckMiddle
05-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, here's what extra time, scrap metal and an obsessive quest for tire screeching handbrake power yields..... The missing handbrake bracket!!!
I first started by carving up some cardboard and made this template
Here's the final product waiting for paint to dry (yes that's A HUGE run in the paint from a failed one coat attempt) 68243

The two top holes use the back 2 bolts that hold the muffler / right side passenger foot peg mounts. The side Angle with 2 smaller holes are for protecting the brake reservoir hoses from chafing and the bottom hole mounts to the back adjustment / clevis mount for the isci slave cylinder bracket. It'll all make more sense when I post the installed pictures.. This bracket completely eliminates the flex (and resulting loss of braking power) that happens at 75% braking effort on the handbrake. If you take the right side plastic off the machine and give the handbrake a few good pulls, you'll know what this brace fixes :thumbup:

I'm an old guy and arthritis has raised it's ugly head in several spots. I had the brake sys put on at the manufacturer in Montgonery, AL. It is functional, but the original brake lever didn't do the trick, or - my arthritis didn't let me get the braking I wanted. They came up with another lever and it is definately better, but it is not like a Road Glide, which I had and had the identical reservoir, but of course, different operational engineering. I'm anxious to see your installation. I could never come close to max braking with the present setup, without using some foot pressure. I got the system because my right hip goes nuts sometimes and this setup at least gives me pretty good control of the braking, but not what I'd like in a hand lever only emergency stop. Between 1/2 application with my right leg and max with the right hand, I 'm happy, but not in love with the result. I appreciate your sharing this with us. :cheers:

Tuck

SethO
05-18-2013, 01:55 AM
pm sent,
my old death machine has a similar bracket and from my experience it help a ton when riding really hard.

800steve
05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Did you change brake lever, or was the new bracket good enough?

ARCTIC
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm an old guy and arthritis has raised it's ugly head in several spots. I had the brake sys put on at the manufacturer in Montgonery, AL. It is functional, but the original brake lever didn't do the trick, or - my arthritis didn't let me get the braking I wanted. They came up with another lever and it is definately better, but it is not like a Road Glide, which I had and had the identical reservoir, but of course, different operational engineering. I'm anxious to see your installation. I could never come close to max braking with the present setup, without using some foot pressure. I got the system because my right hip goes nuts sometimes and this setup at least gives me pretty good control of the braking, but not what I'd like in a hand lever only emergency stop. Between 1/2 application with my right leg and max with the right hand, I 'm happy, but not in love with the result. I appreciate your sharing this with us. :cheers:

Tuck

I don't know if my brace would help you or not. You'd have to look at your brake slave cylinder bracket and see if you are capable of pulling the handle far enough to the point where it flexes. This brace does nothing for making it easier to pull the handle. It only makes it so all of the force exerted by the slave cylinder is transferred to pushing the brake pedal down. It sure would be nice if we could have a easy pulling brake lever like a regular factory motorcycle brake.

ARCTIC
05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Did you change brake lever, or was the new bracket good enough?

I have not changed the brake lever. I have very good brakes now with the added bracket. There's still flex in the system how the bikes factory master cylinder and the added ISCI brake slave cylinder are each mounted and push on each other. I'm not certain that you can get much more throw on the pedal as it seems to loose the motion in flex and probably wont get better without some significant re-engineering of the mounts. All said though, It would be interesting to try the brake lever but I don't know if I can improve on what I have now. :dontknow: The brake lever looks cool so that's tempting anyway :D If someone purchases the lever soon, PLEASE let me know how it works!! :thumbup:

SethO
05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
If the bracket brace doesn't get me to where I want to be, I'm going to purchase one of these :Roland Sands adjustable brake levers
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/506-086
It actually would be an attractive accessory with the black and machined finish :thumbup:

I would gladly buy one if I knew it was not going to hit the box left of the throttle, the RT improved handbrake handle from ISCI works great for RT's because the box is smaller and closer to the brake itsself but on a rs its big and under heavy braking it would hit, this one might clear it but it would be better to know for sure.

Bob Denman
05-18-2013, 09:03 PM
;) Any plans for production?? ;) :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-19-2013, 12:38 AM
;) Any plans for production?? ;) :thumbup:

I have plans........ Of not going into production :roflblack: my fabrication skills have no repeatability and quality control is nonexistent :roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-19-2013, 06:52 AM
That seems like a real good solution to an issue...
Put one in SethO's hands; THERE'S the guy to give it a workout for you! :shocked: :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
That seems like a real good solution to an issue...
Put one in SethO's hands; THERE'S the guy to give it a workout for you! :shocked: :thumbup:

I offered to hack one out of my remaining stock for him but I can't do the final fitment which might require some slight ovaling of one of the top holes, give it a slight bend and then paint it. The material I used really isn't that thick or strong but it gets rid of all the upwards flexing in the system (what it was designed for) :yes: It could easily be beefed up. The next version might be made out of aluminum

kawakii
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I wish ISCI made the improved handbrake lever for the RS and RSS :( the bracket seems like a great idea too bad I'm not handy at all and wouldn't know how to even make one.

If you do decide to make them ill gladly pay for your materials and time. Being paraplegic and only having the handbrake I'd love a little more braking power.

kawakii
07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to arctic for making this bracket for my RSS - we installed on July 4 th and it has improved the braking some with our ISCI handbrake.

I am super appreciative since well being paraplegic and not being able to use the foot brake im an emergency is scary -anything to improve the handbrake and braking is a great safety modification for me !

Between the bracket and RSD adjustable lever I am feeling more comfortable.