PDA

View Full Version : Anything special required to change brake pads on these?

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm going to attempt to kill the squeal on my bike and I'm gonna initially put rear pads on and possibly front ones too. Is there anything special that I would need to accomplish this? Looks like the rear one can be switched without removing the wheel. The front wheels would need to come off and then can I squish the cylinder back with a pair of pliers? Any special fasteners or tools required? Thanks!!!

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 08:55 AM
It's actually a pretty simple task:
remove the wheels
Drop the calipers off of their brackets
Remove the pins
remove the pads
gently push the pistons back in a bit...
install pads, pins, calipers and wheels! :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
05-17-2013, 09:07 AM
It's actually a pretty simple task:
remove the wheels
Drop the calipers off of their brackets
Remove the pins
remove the pads
gently push the pistons back in a bit...
install pads, pins, calipers and wheels! :thumbup:

;)I HIGHLY recommend using a liberal supply of the CRC Brake Quiet on the back of your pads :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 09:22 AM
This is all good news!! I'll definatly put some goop on them. The brake squeal is what I'm trying to defeat

Sarge707
05-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Get yourself a 9mm allen socket - Rear Calliper (Rare in local hardware or automotive stores) because I was going to change the Pads on my 09 GS and didn,t have it- Had 5,6,7,8,and 10?? No wear on pads so I didn,t bother.

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Get yourself a 9mm allen socket (Rare in local hardware or automotive stores) because I was going to change the Pads on my 09 GS and didn,t have it- Had 5,6,7,8,and 10?? No wear on pads so I didn,t bother.

I'll have to check my Allen set. Thanks

SpyderWolf
05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Get yourself a 9mm allen socket - Rear Calliper (Rare in local hardware or automotive stores) because I was going to change the Pads on my 09 GS and didn,t have it- Had 5,6,7,8,and 10?? No wear on pads so I didn,t bother.

How many miles were you at when you found you still didn't need to replace the rear?

SPYD1
05-17-2013, 01:16 PM
There is a video on it.

NoJive
05-17-2013, 01:44 PM
I just changed my rears last week, and am going to do the fronts this weekend. Be advised that on the rears, you will have to remove the parking brake lever, and turn the shaft all the way counter clockwise to get the piston to fully depress. I do not believe that was mentioned in the video.

SpyRyd
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM

I found the 9mm Allen socket (3/8 drive) at Grangers...$4.01 including VA sales tax. Ordered it today will be available for pickup after noon on Monday.

Sarge707
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
How many miles were you at when you found you still didn't need to replace the rear?

I cleaned the pads at about 22,000 miles (Have 24,500 Now) and they were like New and thats compared side by side with the New ones!:dontknow:

SpyRyd
05-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I cleaned the pads at about 22,000 miles (Have 24,500 Now) and they were like New and thats compared side by side with the New ones!:dontknow:

Wow, that's super mileage out of the rear brake pads. Just had my 14k mile maintenance and state safety inspection done yesterday and tech told me I had 2k maybe 3k miles left on my rear pads. Must have been all those twisties rode during Lamont's BBQ last year requiring some hard braking that wore mine out. Ordered a replacement set from Bajaron today.

SpyderWolf
05-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I am pushing 25K on my original brake pads and was planning on changing them next week. I will likely inspect them first, comparing them to the new ones, to see how far gone they really are. :thumbup:

fjcady
05-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Just had the pads from rons installed today and they work great:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Wow, that's super mileage out of the rear brake pads. Just had my 14k mile maintenance and state safety inspection done yesterday and tech told me I had 2k maybe 3k miles left on my rear pads. Must have been all those twisties rode during Lamont's BBQ last year requiring some hard braking that wore mine out. Ordered a replacement set from Bajaron today.

NancysToy
05-18-2013, 09:38 PM
You did better than I did. At 14K mine were just below the 1 mm minimum.

ulflyer
05-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Two days before taking mine in for new front rotors (under warranty) I started getting the big orange brake failure light. Tech said it was likely caused by the warped rotors pushing the calipers in/out rapidly. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'd had the rear replaced last year with Bajaron's pads and used them again this year for the front. Braking is now so positive I still can hardly believe it. They were never this good; in fact, I used to complain about inadequate braking.

ARCTIC
05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Two days before taking mine in for new front rotors (under warranty) I started getting the big orange brake failure light. Tech said it was likely caused by the warped rotors pushing the calipers in/out rapidly. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'd had the rear replaced last year with Bajaron's pads and used them again this year for the front. Braking is now so positive I still can hardly believe it. They were never this good; in fact, I used to complain about inadequate braking.

BajaRon sells upgraded pads? Might have to look into it

SPYD1
05-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Which over the counter brake fluid are people using? Recommendations?

shooter
05-31-2013, 01:22 PM

http://spyder-brp-0.shptron.com/p/xps-dot-4-brake-fluid?pp=20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahh-cool
12-13-2014, 11:25 PM
There is a video on it.

anybody know where the video is? I can't find it

jcthorne
12-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Any name brand DOT 4 fluid should be just fine. I typically use Prestone or Valvoline. All DOT 4 fluids are synthetics, there are some high end brands with higher than spec boiling points, but you will never stress normal DOT 4 on a Spyder. It does still need to be flushed and replaced every couple years due to moisture contamination and the sludge it creates.