PDA

View Full Version : Yellow goop on bolt threads

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
I see as I'm doing some wrenching on my spyder that Can-am has some yellow colored thread locker on their bolts. Is it light duty of some sort? I always use blue medium strength loctite but is that too much for this thing? I see even the tupperware screws have it on them. Thanks!

lookerjdc
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
yes, its a Loctite variant - I also use blue loctite and it works just fine

billybovine
05-17-2013, 08:50 AM
IMO you're looking for a problem that does not exist. RT's shed panels from time to time, but you never hear about that problem on GS's & RS's. The thread locker that is on the BRP screws is the reusable type and does not need to added to or replaced very often.

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
IMO you're looking for a problem that does not exist. RT's shed panels from time to time, but you never hear about that problem on GS's & RS's. The thread locker that is on the BRP screws is the reusable type and does not need to added to or replaced very often.

I'm not at all concerned that the panels will come loose. I mentioned the panel screws as an observation of how it must not need to be a very strong compound if they use it on the body screws some of which are fastening one plastic panel to another plastic panel with a metal fender clip. So the thread locker must not be too tough otherwise it would spin the clip and tear up the plastic panel. My project and intended usage is on the bolts that hold the passenger foot peg mounts on. I'm fabbing up a brace for my isci handbrake slave cylinder bracket. I'm waiting for the paint to dry now and i think i got it whipped :clap:

bruiser
05-17-2013, 09:40 AM
The yellow is probably Pre Coat 30. It's a common threadlock used in automotive assembly. Light to low medium locking. Loctite 222 purple is the closest equivilant. Loctite 242 blue is the most commonly used threadlock. Don't use to much. Make sure the threads are clean. Loctite also has an expiration date.

SpyderWolf
05-17-2013, 01:07 PM
If you take your panels off and on enough times all of the yellow will disappear. I never bothered looking for a replacement for it, as you stated it wasn't very strong at all to begin with.

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
It sounds as if some of the Loctite 222 wouldn't be the worst thing that you could do to your bike though... :thumbup:
If for no other reason than to help keep things from getting "Buzzy" on the bike... :shocked:

bruiser
05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Another trick to keep low torque fasteners from rattling is good old plumbers tape. Just make sure you wrap it in the correct direction.

SpyderWolf
05-17-2013, 02:04 PM
It sounds as if some of the Loctite 222 wouldn't be the worst thing that you could do to your bike though... :thumbup:
If for no other reason than to help keep things from getting "Buzzy" on the bike... :shocked:

What is wrong with Buzzy? I have gotten along quite well with it for several years on the Spyder. :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I think it's a Canadian thingy............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ....That's for you COZ :roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 05:07 PM
What is wrong with Buzzy? I have gotten along quite well with it for several years on the Spyder. :D
The only Buzzy that I dig; is five cups of double-expresso at daybreak! :shocked:

NancysToy
05-17-2013, 06:02 PM
As far as I know it is 3M ScotchGrip. This is an encapsulated epoxy based locing compound. It has a couple of advantages over Loctite. First, it dries on the fastener, so they can be pre-treated, as the OEM fasteners are. Second, it has a very strong hold...requiring more torque to unfasten than it did to tighten. Finally, some capsules remain, so it can be reused a time or two and remain effective (at reduced strength).

ARCTIC
05-17-2013, 06:15 PM
As far as I know it is 3M ScotchGrip. This is an encapsulated epoxy based locing compound. It has a couple of advantages over Loctite. First, it dries on the fastener, so they can be pre-treated, as the OEM fasteners are. Second, it has a very strong hold...requiring more torque to unfasten than it did to tighten. Finally, some capsules remain, so it can be reused a time or two and remain effective (at reduced strength).

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn express last night? Haha... Just joking :roflblack: thanks for the info:thumbup:

Flanker
05-17-2013, 06:21 PM
yes, its a Loctite variant - I also use blue loctite and it works just fineMe too, no problems so far!

SpyderWolf
05-18-2013, 06:01 AM

Scotty, in this case would you recommend putting some of this back on the bolts that hold the body panels on? Just curious if it is something that will make any type of a difference.