PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks or mods to cool an RSS SE5 a little?

MuGGzy
05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I have to spend a lot of time crawling in rush hour traffic in the evenings and I have noticed that my bike crawls up to 5 bars REALLY fast and almost never drops back down. I have heard the fan running when I come to stop or turn it off so I know it's running, I have checked the coolant and filled it to the MAX line when I first noticed this issue.
I just get a little concerned at the amount of heat this thing puts off, I mean it freakin' COOKS my right calf if I am not going 20+, I have had to throw my leg up onto the front of the body on particularly bad days when it was 80+ and traffic was at a standstill.

Is this totally normal and just something I have to live with or are there aftermarket radiators/fans etc that I can ad to cool this thing down a bit?

asp125
05-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Search around this forum for Spyderpops kits, fan kits, and just recently someone posted a way to fit 2013 ST heat shields onto their older RS.

zrc
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Heat of 4 to 5 bars is the basic average running temp of the rotax in any given heat. Make sure you coolant tank is leveled correctly and carry on, if it persistantly elevates more than 4 / 5 bars at a fast pace, be concerned.

I have run mine to the top of the bar level being dumb and not checking the coolant tank.

4 to 5 is my basic temp.

Also thanks to the tupperware, there is a large pocket of heat coming out on your feet. I would wear pants and boots that are appropriate to help solve the issue.

Its just freakin hot down there ;)

coz
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
take your bottom splashpans off and hang them on your garage wall. this will let a lot of heat out underneath. it costs nothing, and it's Lamonster approved.:thumbup: 5 bars is normal operating temp.

wyliec
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
You can try spyderpops stuff for your heat problem. He's a supporting vendor.

http://www.spyderpops.com

I've got all his 'hot foot' stuff on my 2008 GS.

Spyder601
05-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Search around this forum for Spyderpops kits, fan kits, and just recently someone posted a way to fit 2013 ST heat shields onto their older RS.

That resent post was by one of my buds and it looks great he says it prevents a lot of heat from hitting your leg. Checkout the thread

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52101-Newest-mod-to-help-with-heat&highlight=Spyderrx

Flanker
05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
I've got the Syoderpops foam rubber radiator add ons for my RSS (haven't put them on yet), and his hot air evac kit as well (also not on yet). I haven't had any over heating issues, or suffered from the dreaded "cooked foot" syndrome either (yet). I bought the kits as the yuppies say, "a proactive measure" before **** happens! Anything that can cause more air to go through the radiator/s and/or evacuate hot air from inside the fairing more quickly/efficiently is a good thing. *^)(%$#^&( I gotta put the Stebel on there too! :joke:

OneBadPenny
05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
I took the two rear panels off underneath to get more air flow out behind the bike. The Spyderpops radiator foam and catalytic heat shield will do some. You will still get heat up and on the right side. Some people have wrapped their pipes but have heard good and bad about that. When I rode sport bikes there was lots of heat also. Just something you live with. 4-5 is where mine runs on freeway and city driving on a hot day.

jvicker
05-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Remove splash pans
Spyderpops
And most importantly, check your Y gaskets. On my RS they were almost none existent after only 5000 miles. Replace with Honda gaskets.

MikeinGA
05-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Add 3 1/2 oz. of Water Wetter. You want the Spyder to warm up engine in a short period time. The Water Wetter keep you in 4 bars on the high way and when push the engine will see to 5 bars then will go back to 4 bars when you stop pushing.

Flanker
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Add 3 1/2 oz. of Water Wetter. You want the Spyder to warm up engine in a short period time. The Water Wetter keep you in 4 bars on the high way and when push the engine will see to 5 bars then will go back to 4 bars when you stop pushing. Hadn't thought of that.........................good suggestion!

Web Runner
05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
I have the missing air dam, air management system and heat shield installed on my bike. I can tell you the air management system makes all the difference! A small amount of hot air does slip past the deflector, but it is not bothersome to me. During the cooler/cold months, I like having that small amount of warm air on my foot. I don't know how much the heat shield helps, but it was inexpensive enough, so I went ahead and bought it. I do feel the air dam helps air flow through the radiator instead of around it. I rarely see my temperature gauge go above 5 bars, even when sitting at a light.