PDA

View Full Version : Wire to rear light ...beware

flamingobabe
05-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Mark went out to install my rear rack we had saved from my RS....he found the wire that goes to the rear light laying on the back tire and was rubbed down to the wires....being exposed...not safe...could be bad....so all you ST owners go check your rear wires...he will fix it...heat shrink...and do what ever it is he does to make everything perfect for me....just wanted to share.....he realized that he forgot to remove the bracket off the RS for the rack...he's fabbing one out now....hope it all goes well for him

Bob Denman
05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
:shocked: Good thing that he caught it before things got too serious! :thumbup:

NancysToy
05-14-2013, 08:28 PM
There were some earlier RS's that had that issue. Sounds like Round #2. Glad Mark noticed, thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. Even if you ride an RS (even an elrlier one) it pays to check these wires periodically.

hotglue
05-14-2013, 09:24 PM
I found a tie-wrap tied to the fender frame, but the wire was not in it. Looks like they pulled it snug, and didn't notice they didn't capture the wire. Both wires' insulation are worn away and copper is showing. I will cut the wires, slide on double heat shrink, solder the wires back together, coat with liquid tape, then heat shrink the individual wires, then heat shrink the bundle. .... should be good to 1000' below sea level...LOL... I have potted wire connections that have gone to 10,000 foot depths.. subsea with no issues...nojoke!!!!

Oh yeah.... got the bracket to mount the Kewlmetal luggage rack fabbed up.... fits GREAT! and will let me get into change the tail light bulbs without removing the bracket..... which the original didn't....if FB wan't to carry an elephant on the rear rack....I think this one will hold up...LOL

mjw930
05-15-2013, 07:46 AM
That's really strange since those wires are captured under the fender liner. When I installed the radio and 3rd brake light on Joyce's ST all the wires were nicely bundled under the fender liner.

Are you talking about the wires to the tail light / turn signals or the wire to the license plate light on the rear fender?

Warlock
05-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Mark went out to install my rear rack we had saved from my RS....he found the wire that goes to the rear light laying on the back tire and was rubbed down to the wires....being exposed...not safe...could be bad....so all you ST owners go check your rear wires...he will fix it...heat shrink...and do what ever it is he does to make everything perfect for me....just wanted to share.....he realized that he forgot to remove the bracket off the RS for the rack...he's fabbing one out now....hope it all goes well for him
Found the same thing on my new to me 10 model. Place for the tie wrap but no tie wrap. Repaired wire and secured it.
David

moby
05-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Just checked mine,,and I had a three inch tie-rap rubbing on tire. wire ok. Thanks for heads up.

hotglue
05-16-2013, 08:42 AM
That's really strange since those wires are captured under the fender liner. When I installed the radio and 3rd brake light on Joyce's ST all the wires were nicely bundled under the fender liner.

Are you talking about the wires to the tail light / turn signals or the wire to the license plate light on the rear fender?It was the wire to the license plate light.

Erags
06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Our fiends got a new ST at Spyderfest, and they have the same problem. As of now they have it taped up and tie wrapped, up away from the tire. Looks like this is something the dealers should be checking when setting up the Spyder, or at least fixing for the new owners.

They are also finding many loose screws on the rear fender and floor boards, so looks like BRP needs to get a new torque wrench.

Chupaca
06-09-2013, 10:44 PM
looks like already helped a good number of folks...thanks..!! :bowdown:

Spydr in KS
06-10-2013, 06:46 AM
They are also finding many loose screws on the rear fender and floor boards, so looks like BRP needs to get a new torque wrench.

I lost a belt guard and splash panel. Dealer replaced and then check over other bolts

quickster47
06-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Do you have a picture of your rack? Or is it perhaps the BRP unit as seen in their catalogs?

Carl

Green RSS
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Yep....Wife's Spyder had a wire rubbing the tire. Mine was routed and tied correctly. Dealer fixed hers, while they did the ball joint replacement. Now she loves it even more. :2thumbs:

clueless
06-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Just checked mine... sts was fine it has a slight s curve path before it enters the protected channel in the fender. That is the only area exposed on mine but seems to be staying flush to the fender. Zip tied to frame on right side.

Got mine from Len at pitbull assumed they checked :)

JXVolker
06-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Had the same thing happen to me about a week ago. Another ryder noticed the wire while I was fueling. Took the spyder RSS to the dealer (Mid-South Motoplex), they took it in and had it repaired and ready within two hours. Am good to go now but do suggest that folk check that back tire under the fender.