PDA

View Full Version : Iphone mount for 2013 Limited with GPS

mclaw44
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been searching but no luck yet! Does anyone have ideas on how to mount a phone (iphone) on to a 2013 RT-L. As for as brackets all I can find are the ones that mount where the GPS goes. Yes, I know its silly the GPS has the maps and you can call etc. but I still love to see my Iphone with so many apps to help. Also my wife loves to check in one me and will facetime me on the bike to make sure I'm OK. Silly yes cant talk becasue of wind noise but she at least can see I'm not it trouble.

bullant12
05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I've been searching but no luck yet! Does anyone have ideas on how to mount a phone (iphone) on to a 2013 RT-L. As for as brackets all I can find are the ones that mount where the GPS goes. Yes, I know its silly the GPS has the maps and you can call etc. but I still love to see my Iphone with so many apps to help. Also my wife loves to check in one me and will facetime me on the bike to make sure I'm OK. Silly yes cant talk becasue of wind noise but she at least can see I'm not it trouble.

IMPO I rather use the GPS because it has a much bigger screen than the iPhone and the GPS that the RT-L provides (Garmin Zumo 660, I have a 665) is made for all weather, while the iPhone, as convenient as it is, it is not made for all weather unless you provide it with a good case like a Lifeproof or Otterbox. Even then, that glares the screen and the Zumo responds better with gloves than the iPhone.

Here is a RAM mount idea that I have "borrowed" from other :spyder2: RT owners. Basically it is a universal smartphone RAM mount and a extended RAM ball connected into the handlebar.68113

mclaw44
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
IMPO I rather use the GPS because it has a much bigger screen than the iPhone and the GPS that the RT-L provides (Garmin Zumo 660, I have a 665) is made for all weather, while the iPhone, as convenient as it is, it is not made for all weather unless you provide it with a good case like a Lifeproof or Otterbox. Even then, that glares the screen and the Zumo responds better with gloves than the iPhone.

Here is a RAM mount idea that I have "borrowed" from other :spyder2: RT owners. Basically it is a universal smartphone RAM mount and a extended RAM ball connected into the handlebar.68113

bullant12 -- I've seen this pic (I'm assuming this is yours) do you have more details? how is the ram mount attached to the bars? is it thru one of the hanlde bar screws?

THANKS!

bullant12
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
bullant12 -- I've seen this pic (I'm assuming this is yours) do you have more details? how is the ram mount attached to the bars? is it thru one of the hanlde bar screws?

THANKS!

Thru the handlebars screws. I have to get home and look for the hardware list, unless Nancystoy (Scotty) can fill the info on the bolt and spacer...

bullant12
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
If you also want to get a Butler, this is even better (I ended up moving my RAM Mount there): 68114

PrairieSpyder
05-14-2013, 03:24 PM

THANKS!

I would also like to learn how you do this. Thanks.

bullant12
05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
I would also like to learn how you do this. Thanks.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52611-RAM-Mount-on-RT-Handlebars&p=622213#post622213

While looking for the RAM mount part #, I ran into this: http://www.rammount.com/Gallery/rammounts2011spyderrtsse/tabid/4452/Default.aspx

kevorama
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Unless something has changed with the iPhone that I'm not aware of, you can only do Face Time in the presence of Wi-Fi. If you don't mind screwing into the top of the dash, you could mount a ram ball base and small arm with the X-Grip holder. I've seen that on many a bike. The Butler Cup Holder would double as that as well. Good luck on your search:thumbup:

bullant12
05-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Unless something has changed with the iPhone that I'm not aware of, you can only do Face Time in the presence of Wi-Fi.

iOS 6 allows Facetime to work thru 3G signal and with iPhone 4S and above.

mclaw44
05-14-2013, 09:34 PM
I've looked at the Butler and thats really want I need I was going to mount 2 ram mouts for a cup holder and phone. I do have one question, will the Butler hold any mug/cup or just the purchased one with the the unit. Thanks

spyder-dude
05-15-2013, 08:41 PM
ISCI makes a replacement bolt for the STS and RT that has a ram ball on it.

And this is the Motion X mount for iphone or other type of electronics. It works great with my iPhone 5 that is also in an Otterbox case.

Call Jeff at ISCI as they don't have these listed on the website yet.

mclaw44
05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks all great ideas, now what to do HMMMMMM:sour:

bullant12
05-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I've looked at the Butler and thats really want I need I was going to mount 2 ram mouts for a cup holder and phone. I do have one question, will the Butler hold any mug/cup or just the purchased one with the the unit. Thanks

When you buy the Butler, it will include your mug (2 different sizes to choose) that fits to the ring, plus 2 lids: one with the straw to use while riding, the other to sip when not. The ring will not hold any other mug (the one sold at Lambert's cafe fits since it seems to be made by the same manufacturer). However, when you remove the mug's lid, you can fit your favorite beverage like a can or up to a medium size bottle. I think a Tervis cup fits in the mug too (but why do that if the mug holds 32oz?).:thumbup: