PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan Help

G-Strad
05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I have had my 2008 go into limp mode due to engine temp twice. The culprit is the relay. Swapped it with the headlight relay and fan turns on when it should. Only problem now is the headlights sometimes don't work, relay cycles but must have bad contacts. Anyway, I was just wondering if the fan should stay on when the Spyder is shut off? Mine turns off when the key is turned off. Some have said their Spyder's fan stays on even when the bike is shut down. These were on newer units.

Should the fan stay on when it is running hot, like during hot days and slow riding, when the key is turned off? That's the question.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

retired1
05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
I have a '10 RTS and yes the fan stays on after I shut the ignition off. Normally, only for a few seconds.

billybovine
05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I have had my 2008 go into limp mode due to engine temp twice. The culprit is the relay. Swapped it with the headlight relay and fan turns on when it should. Only problem now is the headlights sometimes don't work, relay cycles but must have bad contacts. Anyway, I was just wondering if the fan should stay on when the Spyder is shut off? Mine turns off when the key is turned off. Some have said their Spyder's fan stays on even when the bike is shut down. These were on newer units.

Should the fan stay on when it is running hot, like during hot days and slow riding, when the key is turned off? That's the question.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

No 08's and 09's the fan turns off with the key. On my new ST the does run some after turning off the key.

G-Strad
05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks! That's what I wanted to verify.

Bob Ledford
05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
​2011 RTL's. has the fan blowing the excess heat off after you pull the key also. It reminds me Ivan still open the frunk to store my gear. Can not get in the habit of setting the parking brake then punching the frunk button. Maybe some day it may gel?