PDA

View Full Version : Hello from San Jose, Renting Spyder RT June 8th

sned
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello,

My first post here and wanted to thank everyone for all the information that I've read through concerning the Spyder. Heck I even have a list of mods to do and don't even own a Spyder.

My wife and I live in San Jose and are thinking about buying a Spyder RT-S so we've decided to do a 24hr rental of the Spyder RT from Spyder-rentals here in the Bay Area and sure could use some ideas on some good riding routes where we can really enjoy the Spyder.

A little about me I haven't ridden a motorcycle for about 20 years since moving to CA as I'm originally from Boise, ID I used to ride/race motorcross as I grew up and about 3 or 4 years prior to moving to CA I rode a ZX-6 so I do have some motorcycle experience it's just been awhile.

asp125
05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
San Jose area? Make a loop west on 280 up to Alice's, then south on Skyline down to Ben Lomond, Santa Cruz and back on the freeway. That should make you run the Spyder through twisties, sweepers and superslab to get a good idea of the Spyder's capabilities.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Jose,+CA&daddr=Skyline+Blvd+to:Ben+Lomond,+CA+to:Santa+Cruz ,+CA+to:San+Jose,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.16059,-122.045746&spn=0.175931,0.338516&sll=37.318844,-122.13604&sspn=0.175562,0.338516&geocode=FfrAOQId1Ae8-Cn1P_mK5MqPgDF7cZ_KCoyduQ%3BFdtMOgIdf3a2-A%3BFVrvNQIdLxy5-CnPDpik4EWOgDHirgP3QGWnug%3BFSUuNAIdNPW5-ClJ1TZ8G0SOgDGF-dcqSxDKUg%3BFfrAOQId1Ae8-Cn1P_mK5MqPgDF7cZ_KCoyduQ&oq=Santa+&t=h&mra=mr&z=12

I spent some time riding up there, love those twisties in the Redwoods!

Oh, nevermind. I see Spyder-rentals.com is in Alameda. Hop across the Bay Bridge and run up to Pt Reyes, across to Novato and back if that's a shorter loop

SPYD1
05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Drive it like it is rented!!! Oops it is.:roflblack::roflblack:

KMacs
05-14-2013, 12:24 AM
My wife and I often get up early on weekend and ride up 280 to 84. You can ride up 84 to skyline, head south back to Highway 9 and head back down into Saratoga. We also often get up early and and take 17 over to Santa Cruz (would never do when traffic is up). After bkfst We then ride up 1 to half moon bay and take 92 either back to 280 or to Skyline and then across. On a sunny day a real amazing ride but not the twisty turns you will get on Alpine etc. Hope this give you some ideas. If looking for something longer let us know. Have Fun!!!

szohar
05-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Great to hear from someone in San Jose, we are in Almaden Valley.

You can go HW1 from 17 or Skyline, go North to Davenport then you can go east to Alice's 17288 Skyline Boulevard Woodside, CA.

We are riding almost every weekend since we purchased our RT in Oct-2012 (we did 12,000 miles), we tried also with a rental first time and love it, I hope they have an RT to rent since for my wife it was very different feeling from the RS.

Enjoy and let me know if you need any help.

Sharon

sned
05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Thank you for the information.

I do like asp125 route but you do get some real idiots on 17 and for my first ride I would like to avoid that.

Currently Our plan to to rent the Spyder in Alameda then ride back to San Jose.

I'm currently thing take 9 to Santa Cruz then go up 1 to 92 then across skyline then take 9 back down to San Jose. That should be a nice long ride.

ScottyB
05-14-2013, 06:25 PM
The invite is always there if you want to ride down the beautiful coast into the Los Angeles area. We would love to show you around. We have a large group of riders who would make great tour guides.
ScottyB

sned
05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
The invite is always there if you want to ride down the beautiful coast into the Los Angeles area. We would love to show you around. We have a large group of riders who would make great tour guides.
ScottyB

Thank you for the offer, if we buy on we would definitely do a HW 1 ride from Bay Area to LA. I'll be sure to give you a heads up.

ARtraveler
05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
One operating suggestion. Try not to overcontrol the :spyder2:. A light grip on the bars is sufficient. Overcontrol will make it seem like the :ani29: has a mind of its own and seem like it wants to wander all over the road.

There is a learning curve on the :spyder2:. For those who have not been on two wheels for a while, about 500 miles or so.

The rental experience should give you a feel for the :ani29:, but a good test drive is still in order before you make a purchase. There are now three variations to choose from. All with different seating positions.

Have fun on your ride and let us know what you decide.

sned
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Well this sucks, the Spyder RT that I was going to rent is in shop and will not be available this weekend. Looks like it will be a few weeks before we have another free weekend.