PDA

View Full Version : Think I found my dream helmet

PrairieSpyder
05-13-2013, 11:55 AM
It's the Shark Evoline 3. It's modular, but the chin bar just flips over to the back of the head! What I don't like about my Scorpion modular is that I have to completely remove the chin bar and face shield. So when I want to use it as an open-face helmet I have to go without the clear face shield.

http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?modele=EvoLine%20series3%20White%20azu r&sous_gamme=EV3&gamme=SHARK%20Discovery%20Division&reference_modele=HE9250EWHU&langue=UNITED%20STATES%20UNITED%20STATES%20-%20English

shelbydave
05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm still looking for a local dealer with this helmet. I'd hate to buy one without sizing it first.

Lamonster
05-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I had one and I liked it but it was made for a round head and gave me a headache. Had to sell it.

Bob Denman
05-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the link; this deserves a closer look... :2thumbs:

Indyron
05-13-2013, 01:25 PM
They have a through video on the helmet and how to size. I've purchased several helmets from them, ATV and Spyder. Very good exchange policy and returns.

JCSMOKE
05-13-2013, 01:25 PM
I have one, its a sweet helmet! I give it a :thumbup:

viiiball
05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I had one and I liked it but it was made for a round head and gave me a headache. Had to sell it.
Don't you hate having a square head!

ARtraveler
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Very sharp looking helmet. Would need to find local dealer to try on though.

spydaman60
05-13-2013, 02:55 PM
I have one, its a sweet helmet! I give it a :thumbup:don't mind me asking, what was the price on this helmet?

PrairieSpyder
05-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Now, I'm also looking at the Nolan N43E Trilogy. 68090

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n43e-trilogy-solid-helmet

It's a lot less money and still maintains the clear shield without the chin bar. Hmmmmm. http://mazeguy.net/expressive/scratchchin.gif

JCSMOKE
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
don't mind me asking, what was the price on this helmet?
I got it on revzilla and I believe I payed $250 or so.

SPYD1
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
You got a great deal.

eddieshep999
05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the link; this deserves a closer look... :2thumbs:

Bob do you mean the Helmet or Lamonster's Head

ARtraveler
05-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Now, I'm also looking at the Nolan N43E Trilogy. 68090

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n43e-trilogy-solid-helmet

It's a lot less money and still maintains the clear shield without the chin bar. Hmmmmm. http://mazeguy.net/expressive/scratchchin.gif

I like the Nolan N43's. I have one with the removable chin bar and one without. The second is my everyday helmet.

Arr MiHardies
05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I got mine from revzilla and wrote a review there. Didn't score it very high because of low build quality, but its the only helmet I use anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

muleman1
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
My wife has an Evoline 2 and I have an Evoline 3.

We chose these helmets for the "fold back" feature which eliminates the drag when riding open faced. There's no doubt that they're probably a safer helmet than our Fulmers, but we just aren't as comfortable having our cheeks "squeezed" by the thick cheek pads.
I've searched unsuccesfully, for the possibility of obtaining thinner cheek pads.

M109Dreamer
05-14-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm still looking for a local dealer with this helmet. I'd hate to buy one without sizing it first.

I had Cycle Gear order mine and when it came in I tried it on and wanted abigger size. They took the helmet back right then and then ordered the next size for me. I have the Evo Line 3. I paid $450 from Cycle Gear. But you do need to try them on because you will either love it or hate it.

PrairieSpyder
05-14-2013, 03:35 PM
My wife has an Evoline 2 and I have an Evoline 3.

We chose these helmets for the "fold back" feature which eliminates the drag when riding open faced. There's no doubt that they're probably a safer helmet than our Fulmers, but we just aren't as comfortable having our cheeks "squeezed" by the thick cheek pads.
I've searched unsuccesfully, for the possibility of obtaining thinner cheek pads.

I just talked with a guy at Revzilla, and asked about the cheek-pads. He said the company's supply to the USA is really intermittent. He said there are replacement cheek-pads, but they are hard to get because of the poor supply line. By the measurement, I'm right smack in the middle between XS and S sizes. By the video and the reviews, it sounds like they run a bit large. I also like the features of the Nolan N43E Trilogy, and it's about $200 cheaper.

So I ordered one of each. They have free shipping and return shipping is just $7.45, so that's all I will risk. After I get them both here, I'll decide which one to keep!

JCSMOKE
05-15-2013, 04:18 PM
The shark helmet is on sale on revzilla for about $250

lookerjdc
05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna check around to see if any of the local dealers carry it to check sizing...

PrairieSpyder
05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
The shark helmet is on sale on revzilla for about $250

The one at that price is the Evoline 2 ST. The latest is the Evoline 3ST.

JCSMOKE
05-15-2013, 10:05 PM
The one at that price is the Evoline 2 ST. The latest is the Evoline 3ST.
Well, if you HAVE to get the latest thing......:D

d.o.spyder-rts
05-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I have the Shark Evoline 3 and love it. You will find most dealers probably won't stock it because of its price. I bought it as a replacement for my Shoei. The Shoei was a medium and that's the size of the Shark I bought. I purchased it from cyclegiant.com (aka wingstuff.com) for $419. The fit is a little snug to start, but once it "breaks in" is comfortable. Dale

SpyderDuck
05-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Got the Evoline 3 as a Christmas gift (thanks, Dad!). The advantage of the 3 is having room for your glasses. As for sizing, I found this one to feel smaller than my other helmets (Vemar, HTC, and another brand which name escapes me right now), but that could be because of the really thick padding, and yes, I do have a case of chipmunk cheeks when I wear it. The chinbar can be a little stubborn to flip back down from the jet position, but overall, I love the convenience of being able to switch from full face to jet style easily, and it is a darn cool looking helmet. Not that it matters, but I get a lot of compliments on it.

PrairieSpyder
05-17-2013, 05:55 PM
I received both helmets today. (Great service from Revzilla! :thumbup: )

I tried both on. The Shark fits very similar to my Scorpion - fish-mouth and all. But I love the flip-up chin bar. By the size chart, I was right between the XS and S, so I ordered the XS. It goes on really easily, and feels lighter than my Scorpion. The strap seems almost too short - or else the helmet doesn't come down far enough.

The Nolan is also easy to put on and feels lighter than the Scorpion. By the size chart I ordered a Small size. It feels looser than the Shark or my Scorpion, but I like that better. I just don't know if it's a "right" fit, ya know? I have an inexpensive half-helmet that is problematic in windy conditions. The wind catches the edge and pulls my head. I plan on wearing whichever helmet I decide on as a 3/4, jet-style mostly, and I am concerned about that happening. Something I like about the Nolan is the ratcheting buckle.

I am going to try them on again, sleep on it, and then try them on again tomorrow. Right now I'm leaning toward the Nolan because of the feel and the ratcheting buckle.

Any advice?

Bob Denman
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Bob do you mean the Helmet or Lamonster's Head
I've already seen his head... :shocked:

dshogman
06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Quick, quick Patti - what did you decide? Have been waiting for the "test" results. I'm leaning towards the Nolan.

PrairieSpyder
06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Quick, quick Patti - what did you decide? Have been waiting for the "test" results. I'm leaning towards the Nolan.

Sorry, for not posting sooner. (I thought I had.) I ordered both and tried them on. I even rode pillion with my brother to see how they did in the wind. I ended up keeping the Nolan.

I really wanted to like the Shark because it was so cool with being able to just flip the chin bar back. But it just didn't fit as well. It was also almost twice the cost of the Nolan. I used the Nolan on the OE trip and it worked great.

dshogman
06-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Thanks Patti. 'nother question - when the chinbar is installed and the shield is fully down on the Nolan Trilogy, for those of you who have one, is there a good seal?? I'm thinking of winter riding with my Schuberth modular and the total lack of cold air coming into the helmet when the shield is down. Thoughts and experience please.Thanks.

PrairieSpyder
06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks Patti. 'nother question - when the chinbar is installed and the shield is fully down on the Nolan Trilogy, for those of you who have one, is there a good seal?? I'm thinking of winter riding with my Schuberth modular and the total lack of cold air coming into the helmet when the shield is down. Thoughts and experience please.Thanks.

I really can't say. I haven't tried it with the chin bar yet.