PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on transport trailers

Indyron
05-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Interested in transport trailors for RT-Ltd. Any suggestions?

cjackg
05-13-2013, 08:18 AM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68059&d=1368451067

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Need details.... Do u want an enclosed or open? Are u purchasing strictly for the spyder only?

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68059&d=1368451067

Aluma trailers are very high quality and they're made right here in bancroft, Iowa :thumbup:

Indyron
05-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Open and just for RT-Ltd

Indyron
05-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Aluma trailers are very high quality and they're made right here in bancroft, Iowa :thumbup:
What is the size and approx. $$$

Indyron
05-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Any suggestions for a cover when transporting?

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I would get a 7710 which has a 77" wide deck 10' long they're $2,006 here or get a 7710H for $200 more which increases the payload from 1,675 to 2,395 pound capacity

NorthStar
05-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Any suggestions for a cover when transporting?

It is not recommended covering any vehicle when transporting in an open trailer. The cover will flap in the wind and could damage your paint. I have transported my Spyder in an open trailer over thousands of miles and find that a quick wipe of the bike after you unload it from the trailer and you are good to go.

fireplug98
05-13-2013, 01:44 PM
I snowmobile, so I just ordered an Aluma, 7wide, inline, 16ft enclosed trailer w/ 4 1/2 ft V.
Wanted the best of all worlds !!
Spyder fits perfect in the trailer and in the winter my sleds fit perfect. Plus, inline's are easy to tow. :yes:
I'm a fan of enclosed trailers. The toys are protected from mother nature.
You could get a short inline enclosed for your Spyder.

Tommy J.

Jeriatric
05-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Shop for price? But this link will give you the low down.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/sport-utility-trailer.htm

:doorag: :thumbup:

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 02:01 PM
I snowmobile, so I just ordered an Aluma, 7wide, inline, 16ft enclosed trailer w/ 4 1/2 ft V.
Wanted the best of all worlds !!
Spyder fits perfect in the trailer and in the winter my sleds fit perfect. Plus, inline's are easy to tow. :yes:
I'm a fan of enclosed trailers. The toys are protected from mother nature.
You could get a short inline enclosed for your Spyder.

Tommy J.
I agree 100%!!! but he said he wanted an open trailer. I have a 7' x 29' for hauling sleds.

fireplug98
05-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I agree 100%!!! but he said he wanted an open trailer. I have a 7' x 29' for hauling sleds.

LOL Oops, didn't see that !!!

:-) I'd still go with an enclosed trailer !!!
Last year we trailered our bikes to Sturgis.
My Spyder and 2 full baggers on an open car hauler.
Hit a huge rain storm with lots of hail. We got lucky and got under an overpass.
Made my mind up quick !!! :-)

Tommy J.

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
My spyder will probably take the hail better than my aluminum enclosed trailer will. In that situation, I'd be most concerned about my truck
LOL Oops, didn't see that !!!

:-) I'd still go with an enclosed trailer !!!
Last year we trailered our bikes to Sturgis.
My Spyder and 2 full baggers on an open car hauler.
Hit a huge rain storm with lots of hail. We got lucky and got under an overpass.
Made my mind up quick !!! :-)

Tommy J.

flybuddy
05-13-2013, 04:32 PM
I just went through the same research you're doing 2 months back. I wound up buying the Aluma 6810. Perfect size for Spyder Rt, easy to load offload. Well made and much more durable in the long term over steel/wood while weighing just 1/3 rd as much. You can easily push it around with one hand. I towed to Spyderfest from SW FL and it towed wonderfully and I only lost 4 mpg vs non towing.

CanAmMick
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Here's the Aluma trailer that we purchased. It's a 7710HB. Has a dove tail, folding ramp with removable sides. It tows great...

Indyron
05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
I just went through the same research you're doing 2 months back. I wound up buying the Aluma 6810. Perfect size for Spyder Rt, easy to load offload. Well made and much more durable in the long term over steel/wood while weighing just 1/3 rd as much. You can easily push it around with one hand. I towed to Spyderfest from SW FL and it towed wonderfully and I only lost 4 mpg vs non towing.
Did you cover the RT when transporting?

cjackg
05-13-2013, 06:53 PM
7710HB. Has a dove tail, folding ramp with removable sides. It tows great...

Dont mean to step on any toes here but if you are about to spend a couple of thousand on a new trailer, consider this based on experience...

- Dont buy any wider trailer than needed, keeping that thing in your lane is easier with a narrow trailer.... 6810 model works great, anything more is wasted.

- The Aluma double-fold tailgate is pretty but is not needed to load a spyder... even with Pops bumpskid! Side panels cost much more and are only good for hauling ... ?

- The "HD" Aluma model is good if you plan to haul some bricks, etc... but the base 6810 is all that is needed to haul a spyder.
I hauled my RT from TN to SpyderFest & back on a 6810 behind a Ford Escape and could hardly notice it was there.

- Expensive chocks ? not needed if you tie down the rear wheel and run straps to the front just as shown in the BRP manual on how to transport a Spyder.

68091 68092

ARCTIC
05-13-2013, 07:32 PM
It's surprising how light they are for what they're capable of doing :thumbup:

Dont mean to step on any toes here but if you are about to spend a couple of thousand on a new trailer, consider this based on experience...

- Dont buy any wider trailer than needed, keeping that thing in your lane is easier with a narrow trailer.... 6810 model works great, anything more is wasted.

- The Aluma double-fold tailgate is pretty but is not needed to load a spyder... even with Pops bumpskid! Side panels cost much more and are only good for hauling ... ?

- The "HD" Aluma model is good if you plan to haul some bricks, etc... but the base 6810 is all that is needed to haul a spyder.
I hauled my RT from TN to SpyderFest & back on a 6810 behind a Ford Escape and could hardly notice it was there.

- Expensive chocks ? not needed if you tie down the rear wheel and run straps to the front just as shown in the BRP manual on how to transport a Spyder.

I like some margin for error. You're talking 4.5" wider on each side. (9 total) :dontknow: to each their own :cheers:

cjackg
05-13-2013, 07:38 PM
It's surprising how light they are for what they're capable of doing :thumbup:
I like some margin for error. You're talking 4.5" wider on each side. (9 total) :dontknow: to each their own :cheers:

The extra width contributes nothing and does not add any strength... the 7210 Aluma actually has smaller frame beams on the side than the 6810...

funrider
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM

You might look at the Droptail Trailer. I don't have the web address but if you put droptail trailer in your browser it will pop up.
I have one for my RTS and a HD Triglide. works great!!!

flybuddy
05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Did you cover the RT when transporting?

No, I would worry too much about a cover becoming loose and scratching things up (or flying off into the police car behind me).
Also, the 6810 is plenty wide--you can easily see where you are going up and on---the local dealer said some Spyder folks have bought the 6310 (the first two number are width and the last 2 are length). 63" wide only give you a little over an inch to play with. That would be scary to most folks but the point is that they get them up and off without damage. The 68" is roomy in comparison. I agree with the statement about going to the smallest that will do the job (but maybe not the 63")

bruiser
05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
BRP sells a tow cover. It's around $280.00. I don't have the part number, threw the catalog away.

flybuddy
05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
BRP sells a tow cover. It's around $280.00. I don't have the part number, threw the catalog away.

part# is 219400173--$224, nice looking cover. I'd still want a lot of extra straps/bungees all over it. One issue would be flapping/rippling on the cover over the windshield causing fine scratches. If it's got soft cloth under that section and you get it tight it could work.
Has anyone got this?? (It says "best seller")...how well does it work?

SpyderDen
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
When I bought my full cover, there were two notes. One said trailering cover, the other said "do not use when trailering". :dontknow: I would suggest not using on an open trailer. The cover fits very snugly and covers fenders and all. I used the full cover once when a storm was predicted and we were at a timeshare condo. Storm didn't happen and it's been in the storage bag since. Since then we have purchased a toy hauler and can now load the Spyder in the garage any time. PM me if you want a deal on one. Fits like an OJ Simpson glove.