PDA

View Full Version : Adventures on the Skyline Drive, with Uther the Shiba Inu as Co-pilot!

Bazeel
05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Did about half of Skyline Drive today with my Shiba Inu, Uther. He is still learning to settle in and just enjoy the ride, so we had to cut out early and head home after he got a bit antsy. He's been loving it so far, however, and I'll keep posting more of our adventures together. We get SO MANY people oogling at us when we ride together, and everyone spoils him whenever we are stopped!

For note, his harness is set up as a 2-point rig with about 3" of slack in each retaining strap. It allows him to sit up, shift, and lay down, but not tip forwards or backwards and put himself in harm's way. His boots are to protect the seat from the dreaded claws, more than anything else. He'll graduate out of them once I am sure he won't 'dig in' around curves!

-Moved from RT section, as this is more general post material.

bruiser
05-12-2013, 09:49 PM
He is beautiful. I love the name. Taken from Uther Pendragon??

Bazeel
05-12-2013, 09:58 PM
He is beautiful. I love the name. Taken from Uther Pendragon??

Correct! We didn't want a 'traditional' Shiba Inu name like Shinobi or Taku or the like. Honestly though, we call him 'Shiba' more than Uther, as he responds better to the 'Sh' sound of the word. I think it is more easily recognized from the background noises.

SPYD1
05-12-2013, 10:05 PM
That's a nice looking dog...and bike...and road.

Bazeel
05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
That's a nice looking dog...and bike...and road.

Thanks on all the above. The road is here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Skyline+drive&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89b449137bf3f181:0xf1a7e7f87dc0485d,Skylin e+Dr&gl=us&ei=62aQUYLSIpbj4AOyxYD4DQ&ved=0CNkBELYD

I'd be happy to take anyone along (I have a season pass, good for 2 vehicles) should they ever be in my 'neck of the woods'.

As I live at the Southern entrance (10 minutes from), I could easily meet people along the way!

pslawing
05-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Skyline drive is a toll road?? Always wanted to do skyline and blue ridge in one trip

rc51ny
05-13-2013, 05:43 AM
How hard is it to keep those goggles on him? Is he OK with them or does he try to pull them off?

SDM
05-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Beautiful dog and bike!!!

viiiball
05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Skyline drive is a toll road?? Always wanted to do skyline and blue ridge in one trip

Toll road is not exactly a good description. What you are paying is an entrance fee to a National Park. 150 of the US National Parks charge this fee. It helps with revenues to keep the park operating. The entrance fee for motorcycles is $10. I think this is well worth keeping our National Park system in use.

My wife and I have done the Blue Ridge and Skyline drive several time as one trip. We usually do it in about 3 days. We live about 40 miles north of the North entrance to Skyline Dr.

Bazeel
05-13-2013, 10:40 AM
How hard is it to keep those goggles on him? Is he OK with them or does he try to pull them off?

He didn't like them at first, but after a few minutes of wear, proper correcting when he dug at them, and proper rewarding when not doing so, he learned to just accept them! He absolutely HATES to wear them when we aren't on the Spyder, but once he hops up, he doesn't mind one bit.

SpyderAnn01
05-13-2013, 11:31 AM
:2thumbs: I just wish there was some way I could take any of my dogs with me on the Spyder but they are too big!

SpyderWolf
05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Cool pictures. I hope your dog settles in quickly and you get to have many more adventures together. :thumbup:

billpowell
05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Did about half of Skyline Drive today with my Shiba Inu, Uther. He is still learning to settle in and just enjoy the ride, so we had to cut out early and head home after he got a bit antsy. He's been loving it so far, however, and I'll keep posting more of our adventures together. We get SO MANY people oogling at us when we ride together, and everyone spoils him whenever we are stopped!

For note, his harness is set up as a 2-point rig with about 3" of slack in each retaining strap. It allows him to sit up, shift, and lay down, but not tip forwards or backwards and put himself in harm's way. His boots are to protect the seat from the dreaded claws, more than anything else. He'll graduate out of them once I am sure he won't 'dig in' around curves!

-Moved from RT section, as this is more general post material.

Very neat that your dog will go with you. We are riding Skyline in July, a Spyder and a wing. Staying at the KOA in Luray.